HB 1819 makes shockwave legal

This forum will be open on Sept. 1, 2016.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
FCMatt
Posts in topic: 4

HB 1819 makes shockwave legal

Post by FCMatt »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/0 ... -1819-85r/

Just saw this on TTAG cause I was hoping to pick up a shockwave and was surprised to learn we can't have them in Texas. That is until Abbot signs this bill. Seems that the language in 1819 that is meant to legalize cans if HPA ever passes will also apply to any loophole guns that ever make it through the ATF maze.

Bonus. :anamatedbanana

dlh
Posts in topic: 1

Re: HB 1819 makes shockwave legal

Post by dlh »

I have mixed feelings about the Shockwave. Yes, it is a cool-looking shotgun and I may eventually buy one--not sure. I look at my Winchester Defender 12 gauge with a standard stock and it is an awesome home-defense shotgun--cannot see replacing it with the Shockwave.

Both Youtube personalities Hickok45 and BigDaddyHoffman were "bit" by the safety on the Shockwave when it recoiled as they were holding it. Possibly operator error--not sure. Be sure to hold it firmly when you shoot it to avoid that.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

Topic author
FCMatt

Post by FCMatt »

I agree it has many practical downsides, but I can also easily see where such a compact package could fill some important niches. If things ever go completely to hell nobody will care about NFA, but until then a legal SBS has its place. It isn't going deer hunting with me but might get a concealed place in my truck or boat.

My home defense shotgun will be a KSG or benelli and the like, but a shockwave would be something you can hide in the living room couch :)

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CleverNickname »

I'm glad this bill was passed; guns shouldn't be banned due to their characteristics.

That said, long guns without shoulder stocks are really dumb and no one should buy one. If you need a more compact gun for storage, get a folding or collapsible stock.

Topic author
FCMatt

Post by FCMatt »

But the shockwave isn't just a short stock, it also brings the barrel down to 14 inches while even a folder shotgun must still have a 18+.
Effectively it's the same loophole as a pistol AR using a "arm brace" stock.

If we can get rid of NFA and GCA of course everything would change, hehe.

Guess my lurker status for this forum is over, lol.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have a 590A1, and I love it. It's a great shotgun, with plenty of capacity (8+1). But, it also has a 20" barrel, so while it has a place in home defense or outdoors applications, it is (IMHO) too long for a "truck gun". OTH, the Shockwave, and Remington's TAC-14, seem to fit that niche quite well. And the OPSOL Miniclip I bought for the 590A1 will certainly work with the Shockwave, increasing capacity from 6 (5+1 x 2-/34") rounds to 8 (7+1 1-3/4") mini-shells. Yeah.....not as many rounds as a Glock 19, but still a great "room broom".
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
FCMatt

Post by FCMatt »

Signed and effective 9/1
:woohoo

greyjack
Posts in topic: 1

Post by greyjack »

FCMatt wrote:But the shockwave isn't just a short stock, it also brings the barrel down to 14 inches while even a folder shotgun must still have a 18+.

Not really. It's more accurate to compare the Taurus Judge to a pistol AR because they're both legally pistols in calibers that historically were used in guns fired from the shoulder.

The Mossberg Shockwave does exploit the same loophole as the Franklin Armory XO-26b. Operated with two hands but no stock and too long to fall in the AOW trap.
FCMatt wrote:If we can get rid of NFA and GCA of course everything would change, hehe.
Drain the swamp!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

greyjack wrote:
FCMatt wrote:But the shockwave isn't just a short stock, it also brings the barrel down to 14 inches while even a folder shotgun must still have a 18+.

Not really. It's more accurate to compare the Taurus Judge to a pistol AR because they're both legally pistols in calibers that historically were used in guns fired from the shoulder.

The Mossberg Shockwave does exploit the same loophole as the Franklin Armory XO-26b. Operated with two hands but no stock and too long to fall in the AOW trap.
FCMatt wrote:If we can get rid of NFA and GCA of course everything would change, hehe.
Drain the swamp!
Quoting from that TTAG article:
And then I remembered something one of the guys at the gun store said, and it was perfect: trunk gun. A firearm small enough to be unobtrusive and not take up a lot of space in the trunk of your car, but if you ever were in enough trouble that you needed some extra firepower it would be there waiting. Definitely a low probability situation, but it would be the perfect tool for the job.
That is EXACTLY why I want a Shockwave. I usually keep a storage bin/locker box in the back of my SUV, with assorted "stuff" in it - trailer ball hitch, tire gauge, small air compressor that runs off the cigarette lighter, jumper cables, etc. etc. My 20" barreled Mossberg 590A1 is about 3" too long to even fit diagonally in that box, so an 18" shotgun wouldn't work either. But the Shockwave would be perfect. I have a small gun-bag I can put it in, along with a bandolier of ammo, and that can all go in the box. If I drove a sedan, I'd just go with the bigger gun and keep it in the trunk. But I drive an SUV, so keeping a full length shotgun out of sight is a little more problematic.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Remove the barrel on your 590 and put it in the storage compartment in two pieces. It's not like you're going to get it out of storage there very quickly anyways.

Return to “2017 Texas Legislative Session”