HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 13

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 am
Papa_Tiger wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:54 pm
K.Mooneyham wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:39 pm Does this bill really change anything in regards to those who have their LTC? Or will that remain business as usual?
Based on my analysis, we can no longer be prevented from carrying in government meetings covered by the open meetings act and we get the "belt and shoulder" restriction removed from our holster choices.
This is great news. I’ve been wanting forever to ankle-carry a j-frame BUG while wearing cargo shorts. :lol:
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"

AndyC1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AndyC1911 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 am This is great news. I’ve been wanting forever to ankle-carry a j-frame BUG while wearing cargo shorts. :lol:
:lol:

Ruark
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ruark »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:23 am
Gunner4640 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:14 am This may have been asked but I can't find it.
What happens to LTC ? Is it going away?

Whats going to happen at gun purchases with background checks for people that have a LTC, is it going to be the wait again to buy?
This bill does nothing to the LTC program. It will be exactly the same (cost, requirements, benefits) as it was before. You still have to look for 30.06/7 and 51% signs, but can ignore pretty much any other anti-gun sign.
This will make it even more complicated. A lot of businesses still don't understand the 06/07 legalese like it is. So if you see an 06 sign, you can't carry with an LTC, but you can carry under the new law? To fix that, business will have to replace their current signage, or maybe add another sign to it, which will go over like a lead balloon.
-Ruark

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC1911 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 am
The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:57 am This is great news. I’ve been wanting forever to ankle-carry a j-frame BUG while wearing cargo shorts. :lol:
Andy, I actually had a video in mind when I posted this that I’m pretty sure it was you who showed it to us many years ago, depicting an older gentleman in South Africa, ankle-carrying a j-frame while wearing cargo shorts.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 6

Post by NotRPB »

there you go lol
after signed, i can wear this good priced holster that even fits "on a belt" (but without the LEO "belt holster" argument) worn on ankle or thigh for those bathing suit or beach events where one may encounter pirates :lol:
(DISCLAIMER; NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF HOLSTERS WHICH DO NOT COMPLETELY COVER THAT DANGEROUS TRIGGER GUARD HOLE OF REAL FIREARMS)
https://www.cicig.co/product/1005001288 ... play-props
ImageImageImage

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 21

Post by jerry_r60 »

Ruark wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:55 am
Gunner4640 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:14 am This may have been asked but I can't find it.

Whats going to happen at gun purchases with background checks for people that have a LTC, is it going to be the wait again to buy?
This bill does nothing to the LTC program. It will be exactly the same (cost, requirements, benefits) as it was before. You still have to look for 30.06/7 and 51% signs, but can ignore pretty much any other anti-gun sign.
This will make it even more complicated. A lot of businesses still don't understand the 06/07 legalese like it is. So if you see an 06 sign, you can't carry with an LTC, but you can carry under the new law? To fix that, business will have to replace their current signage, or maybe add another sign to it, which will go over like a lead balloon.
I'm guessing if there is a 30.06 you can't carry under 30.05 because you are still an LTC holder and 30.06 applies to LTC holders.

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 34

Post by Flightmare »

Senate starts listening to bills on the floor at 10am today.
HB 1927 is on the notice for intent.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/c ... 210524.htm

I'll keep checking back to see when they start talking about it on the floor.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 30

Post by ScottDLS »

jerry_r60 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:26 am

I'm guessing if there is a 30.06 you can't carry under 30.05 because you are still an LTC holder and 30.06 applies to LTC holders.
I would say no because 30.06 says if you are carrying “under the authority” of your LTC. If that were the case then a peace officer with a LTC wouldn’t be able to carry either. If you really are worried about it then leave your LTC in the car. In order to carry under its authority you technically have to have it on your person.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:43 am

I would say no because 30.06 says if you are carrying “under the authority” of your LTC. If that were the case then a peace officer with a LTC wouldn’t be able to carry either. If you really are worried about it then leave your LTC in the car. In order to carry under its authority you technically have to have it on your person.
:iagree:

ELB
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ELB »

Flightmare wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:42 am Senate starts listening to bills on the floor at 10am today.
HB 1927 is on the notice for intent.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/c ... 210524.htm

I'll keep checking back to see when they start talking about it on the floor.
I don't see it on any calendar for today? The link goes to the status of bills referred to conference, but I don't see 1927 on either the Intent nor the Regular Order of Business calendar. :confused5
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
jerry_r60
Posts in topic: 21

Post by jerry_r60 »

ScottDLS wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:43 am

Good point.

AndyC1911

Post by AndyC1911 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:57 am
AndyC1911 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:49 am
Andy, I actually had a video in mind when I posted this that I’m pretty sure it was you who showed it to us many years ago, depicting an older gentleman in South Africa, ankle-carrying a j-frame while wearing cargo shorts.
I don't remember a video, but I do specifically remember an old sandals-wearing gentleman in Cape Town, South Africa walking around in shorts with a small revolver strapped to his ankle over his sock (open-carry is - or at least was in those days - verboten there) :mrgreen:

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Gun Signs with force of law under HB 1927:

Sign Description:
Includes language that is identical to or substantially similar to the following:
"Pursuant to Section 30. 05, Penal Code (criminal trespass), a person may not enter this property with a firearm"
In both English and Spanish in contrasting block letters at least 1 inch in height

How can it be posted:
At each entrance to the property, in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Who can post:
Any private business or non-governmental entity not covered by TPC 46.03 PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED

Who does it apply to:
All persons carrying a firearm (this includes long guns as well as handguns)

Defense to prosecution provided to:
LTC holders under TPC 30.05(f) that states:
It is a defense to prosecution under this sect ion that:
(1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun was forbidden; and
(2) the person was carrying:
(A) a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun; and
(B) a handgun:
( i) in a concealed manner; or
(ii) in a holster.
Offense for violating:
Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200
Class A misdemeanor if you receive notice and fail to depart

Sign Description:
Language identical to the following:
"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"
In both English and Spanish in contrasting colors at least 1 inch in height

How can it be posted:
On a property in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public - applies to the whole property, not just a premises (building or portion of a building)

Who can post:
Any private business, non-governmental entity, and governmental entity listed in TPC 46.03 PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
There are certain exceptions to the application of TPC 46.03 for license holders - namely governmental meetings subject to the open meetings act.
Government entities/buildings/locations that are not listed in TPC 46.03 can post, but the law cannot be applied to a license holder.

Who does it apply to:
Persons licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411 Government Code (handgun licensing law)

Condo residents or guests, lessees of residential housing, or a lessee of a manufactured home going directly to or from a vehicle and housing unit
Volunteer emergency services personnel
License holders personally given oral notice who promptly depart the property

Who does it NOT apply to:
Unlicensed individuals

Offense for violating:

Sign Description:
Language identical to the following:
"Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly"
In both English and Spanish in contrasting colors at least 1 inch in height

How can it be posted:
Displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.

Who can post:
Any private business, non-governmental entity, and governmental entity listed in TPC 46.03 PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED.
There are certain exceptions to the application of TPC 46.03 for license holders - namely governmental meetings subject to the open meetings act.
Government entities/buildings/locations that are not listed in TPC 46.03 can post, but the law cannot be applied to a license holder.

Who does it apply to:
Persons licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411 Government Code (handgun licensing law)

Condo residents or guests, lessees of residential housing, or a lessee of a manufactured home going directly to or from a vehicle and housing unit
Volunteer emergency services personnel
License holders personally given oral notice who promptly depart the property

Offense for violating:

Sign Description:
Language that is identical to or substantially similar to the following:
"Pursuant to Section 46.03, Penal Code (places weapons prohibited), a person may not carry a firearm or other weapon on this property"
In both English and Spanish in contrasting colors with block letters at least 1 inch in height

Where can it be posted:
On a property in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public - applies to the whole property, not just a premises (building or portion of a building)

Who can post:
Locations listed in TPC 46.03 including:
  • premises of a school or the grounds where a school sponsored activity is taking place (this includes colleges - no constitutional carry on university property)
  • premises of a polling place while voting is in progress
  • premises of a court or offices used by the court
  • premises of a racetrack
  • secured area of an airport
  • within 1000 ft. of a place of execution on the date of the execution
  • 51% locations
  • Premises of high school, collegiate, or professional sporting events while the event is taking place unless the weapon is used in the event
  • Premises of a correctional facility
  • Premises of a civil commitment facility
  • Hospitals and nursing homes
  • Certain state-run mental hospitals
  • Amusement parks
  • Government meetings subject to the open meetings act
Who does it apply to:
All persons carrying a firearm (this includes long guns as well as handguns)

Exceptions
Persons licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411 Government Code (handgun licensing law) may carry on public institutions of higher education and government meetings subject to the open meetings act
Collegiate sporting events, hospitals, nursing homes, and amusement parks must be posted with 30.06/7 to exclude persons licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411 Government Code (handgun licensing law)
51% locations must be properly posted to exclude anyone carrying a weapon

Persons provided notice by the owner of the property, or from another person with apparent authority to act for the owner that carrying a firearm or other weapon on the premises or other property, as applicable, was prohibited; and promptly departed from the premises or other property.

This does not apply if the location was properly posted with the signs or the person knew that carrying a firearm or other weapon on the premises or other property was prohibited.

Persons possessing a firearm in a secured area of an airport licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411 Government Code (handgun licensing law) who are notified and immediately exit the checkpoint after completing the required screening

Offense for violating:
Third degree felony or Class A misdemeanor depending on which location the firearm was carried on.

Gunner4640

Post by Gunner4640 »

Well that's good to hear.:anamatedbanana I didn't sit in that 10 hour class and shoot 50 rounds for it to go away. I like having my LTC in my wallet. Thank you for the reply.
Dave & Wife NRA Members
Too many guns to list> :lol::

Ruark
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ruark »

Jeezaloo.... starting to sound like I could carry in more places if I canceled my LTC and just carried under 30.05.
-Ruark

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”