HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Grayling813
Posts in topic: 4

Re: HB 1927 on the Senate floor now

Post by Grayling813 »

Flightmare wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:48 pm Comment by Sen. Schwertner on social media
Texas has fulfilled the promise of our founding documents by finally restoring the right of law-abiding Texans to carry a handgun without a license for the defense of themselves and their loved ones. I’m thankful the Senate and House were able to come together to pass the best Constitutional Carry law in the United States.
I want to thank Representative Matt Schaefer, Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, Speaker Dade Phelan, and the countless citizens who helped us get Constitutional Carry to Governor Abbott’s desk.
Still waiting for the specifics on what the committee agreed to.
https://texas.gunowners.org/conference- ... n-hb-1927/
Rep. Schaefer (the bill author) said:
The House and Senate conferees have reached an agreement on House Bill 1927, a critical benchmark before this bill reaches Gov. Abbott’s desk. By working together, the House and Senate will send Gov. Abbott the strongest Second Amendment legislation in Texas history, and protect the right of law-abiding Texans to carry a handgun as they exercise their God-given right to self-defense and the defense of their families.
Although this does not mean that the bill has finally passed, it practically assures its timely passage before the end of session.

The Legislature now has to prepare the correct paperwork to support the agreed-on language.

ELB
Posts in topic: 13

Post by ELB »

Woohoo!

I still don't know why Republicans have to take slam dunks and turn them into highwire acts, but there you go.
USAF 1982-2005

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ELB wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:18 pm Lt Gov Patrick's announcement:

https://www.ltgov.texas.gov/2021/05/21/ ... agreement/
Patrick just had to throw in his crappola about how innocent they were of accusations of poison pills. Politicians make me sick to my stomach. What actually happened is they got inundated by those of us calling and emailing explaining that our vote for them depended on this passing and they decided that poison pill was a bad idea after all. Had Texans not responded in force, that bill would be dead. JMHO

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Papa_Tiger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Patrick just had to throw in his crappola about how innocent they were of accusations of poison pills. Politicians make me sick to my stomach. What actually happened is they got inundated by those of us calling and emailing explaining that our vote for them depended on this passing and they decided that poison pill was a bad idea after all. Had Texans not responded in force, that bill would be dead. JMHO
Before you start making authoritative statements, you should see what is in the final bill. There may still be things in it that you would have considered a "poison pill" but are part of the compromises made when crafting law.

ETA: There is lots of evidence that this was worked on very hard by many members in both chambers INCLUDING the Lieutenant Governor.

1) It proceeded through the house rapidly
2) When it got to the Senate, a SPECIAL COMMITTEE, just for this bill was set up and staffed with many pro-2A Senators by Lt. Gov. Patrick.
3) The committee met quickly and voted out the House version of the bill without modifications.
4) The Senate acted quickly once it left the committee and allowed/voted on minimal amendments that helped to secure the votes of the Senators required to pass it including Senator Nelson.
5) While the House didn't concur with the amendments added in the Senate, both chambers acted quickly to appoint overall favorable members to the conference committees with LOTS of time to spare in the session.
6) Agreement between chambers was reached with 9 days left in the session. That is faster than both Open and Campus Carry in 2015.

All of the doom and gloom poison pill prognosticators need to watch a few legislative sessions before they start proclaiming themselves experts on the political process in Texas.
Last edited by Papa_Tiger on Fri May 21, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

03Lightningrocks

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:40 pm

Before you start making authoritative statements, you should see what is in the final bill. There may still be things in it that you would have considered a "poison pill" but are part of the compromises made when crafting law.
Why did you have to throw the left handed insult in your authoritative response? Could you not have simply made your statement and left out the pompous comment? Just who do you think you are? Now get off my lawn.

loscar141
Posts in topic: 1

Post by loscar141 »

just out of curiosity what would be considered a poison pill?

03Lightningrocks

loscar141 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:12 pm just out of curiosity what would be considered a poison pill?
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Wrecking_amendment
In legislative debate, a wrecking amendment (also called a poison pill amendment or killer amendment) is an amendment made by a legislator who disagrees with the principles of a bill and who seeks to make it useless (by moving amendments to either make the bill malformed and nonsensical, or to severely change its intent) rather than directly opposing the bill by simply voting against it.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Why did you have to throw the left handed insult in your authoritative response? Could you not have simply made your statement and left out the pompous comment? Just who do you think you are? Now get off my lawn.
Please go back and read my edited post to see some of the evidence refuting your assertion about "What actually happened".

For reference, I have been closely following certain issues, including 2A issues, in the legislature since I received my CHL in 2013. I watch the proceedings and testimony surrounding many bills that I have interest in and have gone to the Capitol to testify as well. I have friends that have worked in/with the legislature as staffers, lobbyists and media. While I would not say that I have any special insider knowledge, I am an astute observer and think I can pick up on what is and isn't said well to get a good idea of the big picture.

Read my posts from several weeks ago when people started talking about "poison pills" and "HB 1927 will never pass". The scenario here rolled out pretty much as I predicted based on past observation of the political process. Frankly, I'm a little surprised how fast the final compromise was reached.

I'm excited to see what is in the final bill and will reserve judgement on how strong it is in restoring 2A rights until I have read the final version.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:21 pm
loscar141 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:12 pm just out of curiosity what would be considered a poison pill?
In legislative debate, a wrecking amendment (also called a poison pill amendment or killer amendment) is an amendment made by a legislator who disagrees with the principles of a bill and who seeks to make it useless (by moving amendments to either make the bill malformed and nonsensical, or to severely change its intent) rather than directly opposing the bill by simply voting against it.
Which of the accepted Senate amendments, in your opinion, was a poison pill according to that definition?

03Lightningrocks

Papa_Tiger wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:25 pm
03Lightningrocks wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:21 pm
Which of the accepted Senate amendments, in your opinion, was a poison pill according to that definition?
I am not engaging with you until you apologize for being rude and arrogant . Even then I am thinking the ignore button may be useful as I don't really like rude arrogant people.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 12

Post by powerboatr »

ETA: There is lots of evidence that this was worked on very hard by many members in both chambers INCLUDING the Lieutenant Governor.

1) It proceeded through the house rapidly
2) When it got to the Senate, a SPECIAL COMMITTEE, just for this bill was set up and staffed with many pro-2A Senators by Lt. Gov. Patrick.
3) The committee met quickly and voted out the House version of the bill without modifications.
4) The Senate acted quickly once it left the committee and allowed/voted on minimal amendments that helped to secure the votes of the Senators required to pass it including Senator Nelson.
5) While the House didn't concur with the amendments added in the Senate, both chambers acted quickly to appoint overall favorable members to the conference committees with LOTS of time to spare in the session.
6) Agreement between chambers was reached with 9 days left in the session. That is faster than both Open and Campus Carry in 2015.

All of the doom and gloom poison pill prognosticators need to watch a few legislative sessions before they start proclaiming themselves experts on the political process in Texas.
and i received a tweet from the Governor he was waiting on it to be delivered for him to sign...it was ambiguous in true politicians behavior, but it was a positive
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Sounds like Texan's are about to get their constitutional rights back. When, in one piece of legislation, 29 million people, 9% of the population of the country gets their rights restored it WILL be time to celebrate!

:thewave
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

jason812
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jason812 »

Paladin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:06 pm Sounds like Texan's are about to get their constitutional rights back. When, in one piece of legislation, 29 million people, 9% of the population of the country gets their rights restored it WILL be time to celebrate!

:thewave
We'll get our rights back when there are no off limits areas, no background checks, and can own whatever we want (think fun switch and muffler). This is just a step and its sad we are this exited about getting something back that should have never been allowed to be taken away in the first place.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

K.Mooneyham
Posts in topic: 10

Post by K.Mooneyham »

Passage of the bill will be a step in the right direction. If it's not perfect, well, that's what "clean up" bills are for in future sessions. How many clean-ups has CHL/LTC had over the years? More than a couple. No one needs to lose sight of that.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”