Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1


K.Mooneyham
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1659
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:27 pm
Location: Vernon, Texas

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#16

Post by K.Mooneyham » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:11 am

McRaven was high-level brass. Those folks get where they are by having shiny, wonderful performance reports (appraisals, fit-reps, whatever term you like) written on them extolling their virtues of leadership, management, and command. They are in charge of a large group of mostly young people. Any mistake by one of the younger folks makes a black mark on the performance report and can keep these ladder-climbing brass types from their next promotion, or delay it an unacceptable amount. So, the ones who climb up high are the ones who learn how to squash potential trouble...and since they are military, they often have great latitude in how to accomplish that because they can simply order people to either do things or not do things. Don't think for one second that mindset goes away just because they take the uniform off.

Note: this is not intended to disparage officers in general, McRaven's service, or anything of that nature. Just one former NCO's opinion formed over 21 years of service.

User avatar

Jeff B.
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:21 pm
Location: Flower Mound

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#17

Post by Jeff B. » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:56 am

McRaven was the King of the Snake Eaters. IE, the Big Guy in Specops. I'm gathering from his positions that he would really prefer to have weapons and the access to them remain the province of "professionals", those trained and approved by TPTB as "responsible" parties.

KM is right, many of your most senior (heck a lot of 06's as well) have a great deal in common with the grabbers. They are not big believers in The Constitution as written and frankly are more likely to be part of the problem rather than a solution to it. I say this as a Commissioned Officer, now retired.

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman


Ruark
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1031
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#18

Post by Ruark » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 am

NEB wrote:goinincircles, no problem. I have to periodically refresh myself.

Ruark, SB11 technically did redefine "campus" as "all land or buildings owned or leased..." so I guess I'm not seeing the trouble. Is it just the ignorance that people are demonstrating in not knowing that guns have always been allowed on "campus" just not in the buildings?
No, it's not ignorance, it's just lay people. Very few people are going to sit down and read the text of a bill, all of its "definitions," etc. All the general public hears is "campus carry" so that's what they assume it's all about.
-Ruark


bigity
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am
Location: Lubbock, TX

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#19

Post by bigity » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:34 pm

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:"I will not let the facts get in the way of my opinion."

Unknown.



SIA

I always tell people to stop confusing the issue with facts. Learned that one in the USAF.
USAF Veteran|Ex-DoD Contractor|Information Technology
EDC: Springfield Armory XD Sub-Compact 40S&W 3"


txyaloo
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#20

Post by txyaloo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:33 pm

NEB wrote:
goinincircles wrote:I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that only sporting events where they are paid to play are off limits. If that's the case, college games should be good to go once campus carry passes....assuming the school doesn't pick that as a " "unique" place that is off limits.
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder’s person:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

46.035 has been amended by SB11. When the law goes in to effect, collegiate sporting events will have to be 30.06 marked to be off limits.

(l) Subsection (b)(2) does not apply on the premises where a collegiate sporting event is taking place if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

User avatar

JALLEN
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#21

Post by JALLEN » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm

TVGuy wrote:
I said this in another thread the other day. I've never understood why sporting events are off limits.
You've never been to a Raiders-Chargers game, have you? They ought to be off limits to everyone, actually.

The nice thing about the Raiders moving back to Oakland has been that now at the Raiders-Chargers game, the LA Raider fans fight with the Oakland Raider fans and leave the Chargers fans out of it.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.


juno106
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#22

Post by juno106 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Did the Adm. comment yet upon this Dylann Roof information?

Dylann Storm Roof bragged about plans to 'kill a bunch of people' week before Charleston church shooting
The 21-year-old suspected gunman told his friends at the trailer park last week that he wanted to kill people at a local college...


JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 am
Location: San Leon Texas

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#23

Post by JP171 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Jeff B. wrote:McRaven was the King of the Snake Eaters. IE, the Big Guy in Specops. I'm gathering from his positions that he would really prefer to have weapons and the access to them remain the province of "professionals", those trained and approved by TPTB as "responsible" parties.

KM is right, many of your most senior (heck a lot of 06's as well) have a great deal in common with the grabbers. They are not big believers in The Constitution as written and frankly are more likely to be part of the problem rather than a solution to it. I say this as a Commissioned Officer, now retired.

Jeff B.

Jeff, not gonna get nasty but he was like certain parts on a boar hog, worthless a poser and paper tiger sorry doood

User avatar

safety1
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:13 am

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#24

Post by safety1 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:16 pm

baldeagle wrote:This was posted in the thread on SB 11 and HB 910. I think it needs it's own thread for discussion.
In the interview Admiral McRaven is asked where he thinks restrictions might be placed on campus carry. He states that they will look at places where emotions are high. He's pretty sure he won't allow carry at sporting events.

Maybe someone should send the Admiral a copy of the law so he can get caught up.
You can count out football games, UT announced they'd be selling beer & wine this year.
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member


TEX
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 300
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#25

Post by TEX » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:58 am

I think the campus carry bill may turn out to be worthless - it has no real teeth. My guess is that many (if not all) schools will allow carry in the most restrictive ways possible and make it such a confusing set of "you can here, but you can't here" rules, that it will discourage most from carrying anyway. I think something that would have more sense was to allow the schools to require addition training or vetting, etc.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

User avatar

mojo84
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 8177
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#26

Post by mojo84 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm

safety1 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:This was posted in the thread on SB 11 and HB 910. I think it needs it's own thread for discussion.
In the interview Admiral McRaven is asked where he thinks restrictions might be placed on campus carry. He states that they will look at places where emotions are high. He's pretty sure he won't allow carry at sporting events.

Maybe someone should send the Admiral a copy of the law so he can get caught up.
You can count out football games, UT announced they'd be selling beer & wine this year.
Those were off limits without the selling of alcohol. Nothing changed in that area.

User avatar

VMI77
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 6096
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:49 pm
Location: Victoria, Texas

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

#27

Post by VMI77 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 pm

JP171 wrote:
Jeff B. wrote:McRaven was the King of the Snake Eaters. IE, the Big Guy in Specops. I'm gathering from his positions that he would really prefer to have weapons and the access to them remain the province of "professionals", those trained and approved by TPTB as "responsible" parties.

KM is right, many of your most senior (heck a lot of 06's as well) have a great deal in common with the grabbers. They are not big believers in The Constitution as written and frankly are more likely to be part of the problem rather than a solution to it. I say this as a Commissioned Officer, now retired.

Jeff B.

Jeff, not gonna get nasty but he was like certain parts on a boar hog, worthless a poser and paper tiger sorry doood

That boar hog phrase still in use? I'm an old guy and that was one of my father's favorite sayings.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Post Reply

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”