Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 2

Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

Post by baldeagle »

This was posted in the thread on SB 11 and HB 910. I think it needs it's own thread for discussion.
In the interview Admiral McRaven is asked where he thinks restrictions might be placed on campus carry. He states that they will look at places where emotions are high. He's pretty sure he won't allow carry at sporting events.

Maybe someone should send the Admiral a copy of the law so he can get caught up.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

mojo84

Re: Admiral McRaven's NPR Interview

Post by mojo84 »

It's scary just how ignorant many of those in charge actually are. If they were better informed, they may actually change their position on some issues.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

"I will not let the facts get in the way of my opinion."

Unknown.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

mojo84 wrote:It's scary just how ignorant many of those in charge actually are. If they were better informed, they may actually change their position on some issues.
Some might. Many simply can't because their whole psyche is wrapped up in what they believe, and finding out they were wrong would obliterate their persona.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

baldeagle wrote:This was posted in the thread on SB 11 and HB 910. I think it needs it's own thread for discussion.
In the interview Admiral McRaven is asked where he thinks restrictions might be placed on campus carry. He states that they will look at places where emotions are high. He's pretty sure he won't allow carry at sporting events.

Maybe someone should send the Admiral a copy of the law so he can get caught up.
OK, so let's take a positive approach to his comments:

Sure...let him focus on the sporting events. Let him ban us from carrying there. He'll feel he has a big victory, but may also feel that he has expended a bunch of political capital on that one area. He may not push as hard in other places (remember, folks, I'm thinking with my positive hat here), having won that one big one.

And we'll oblige, because sporting events are off limits to us anyway.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Topic author
baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Take it a step farther. Let's tell him that licensees have discussed it and agreed that we think carrying a sporting event should be banned. :biggrinjester:
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

baldeagle wrote:Take it a step farther. Let's tell him that licensees have discussed it and agreed that we think carrying a sporting event should be banned. :biggrinjester:
I said this in another thread the other day. I've never understood why sporting events are off limits.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I am pretty sure the average armed citizen is mindful not to start fights. No studies I'm aware of address the phenomenon, but I strongly suspect that part of why CHL people are less involved in violent acts is because no rational person wants to start a gunfight.

So which sporting event would be more peaceful? The putative gun free stadium, or the sporting event attended by an armed crowd?

Personally, I'd be more vocal when unarmed. Armed, I have bigger fish to fry than a protest flag flown against my favorite yacht in the regatta.

And regattas are the most sporting of events. More Perrier?

TVGuy

Post by TVGuy »

treadlightly wrote:
And regattas are the most sporting of events. More Perrier?
Pardon me, would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I don't like the implication that law abiding, CHL holding gun owners are so thin skinned and out of control that we would get worked up and start shooting at a football game. I don't think these people really stop to think about who is actually getting a CHL.

goinincircles

Post by goinincircles »

I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that only sporting events where they are paid to play are off limits. If that's the case, college games should be good to go once campus carry passes....assuming the school doesn't pick that as a " "unique" place that is off limits.

NEB

Post by NEB »

goinincircles wrote:I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that only sporting events where they are paid to play are off limits. If that's the case, college games should be good to go once campus carry passes....assuming the school doesn't pick that as a " "unique" place that is off limits.
PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder’s person:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

goinincircles

Post by goinincircles »

I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought it was only professional events. :???:

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Sigh.... once again, it's all about "allowing concealed weapons on campus." EVERYWHERE I go.... in casual conversations, internet forums, Facebook groups, etc. people think this is what SB11 is about: "letting students carry guns on campus." Using the word "campus" in this bill's nickname ("campus carry") was a huge, huge mistake.
-Ruark

NEB

Post by NEB »

goinincircles, no problem. I have to periodically refresh myself.

Ruark, SB11 technically did redefine "campus" as "all land or buildings owned or leased..." so I guess I'm not seeing the trouble. Is it just the ignorance that people are demonstrating in not knowing that guns have always been allowed on "campus" just not in the buildings?

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”