Wait 'til next year...

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wait 'til next year...

Post by cbunt1 »

jmra wrote:
Ruark wrote:We should expect a big push for the diagonal-slash "Gunbuster" signage to replace all these 06-07 signs. The Texas Association of Businesses fully supports this. As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, Texas is the only state that requires these big, complicated signs, and they're hearing a LOT of complaining from business owners about having to plaster their storefronts with them, as well as confusion about what they mean, what's required, etc. DPS is posting clarifying information on their web site, but of course there are limits to how much this can accomplish.

A compromise idea that's gaining ground is going to a single sign that prohibits all weapons, instead of, or as an option to, separate signs.
If this gained any momentum I think you would see an equal push to make signs have no force of law like a number of other states. I don't see 30.06 or 30.07 going away anytime soon.
The very POINT of the 30.06 and 30.07 legislation is to make the signs big, complicated, and impossible to miss.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of other states that have specific wording and text requirements for the act of carrying to become criminal trespass, but I can't remember which ones (I think MO may be one of them). Many states it's the same as ignoring a "Shirt and Shoes required" sign.

As soon as carrying a gun past a posting of ANY kind, including enforceable 30.06/30.07 carries the same weight as drinking a Big Red past a "No Food or Drinks" sign, we're having a different conversation.

Until then, 30.06, and the requirements around it are here to stay.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

cbunt1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Ruark wrote:We should expect a big push for the diagonal-slash "Gunbuster" signage to replace all these 06-07 signs. The Texas Association of Businesses fully supports this. As I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong, Texas is the only state that requires these big, complicated signs, and they're hearing a LOT of complaining from business owners about having to plaster their storefronts with them, as well as confusion about what they mean, what's required, etc. DPS is posting clarifying information on their web site, but of course there are limits to how much this can accomplish.

A compromise idea that's gaining ground is going to a single sign that prohibits all weapons, instead of, or as an option to, separate signs.
If this gained any momentum I think you would see an equal push to make signs have no force of law like a number of other states. I don't see 30.06 or 30.07 going away anytime soon.
The very POINT of the 30.06 and 30.07 legislation is to make the signs big, complicated, and impossible to miss.

For what it's worth, there are a couple of other states that have specific wording and text requirements for the act of carrying to become criminal trespass, but I can't remember which ones (I think MO may be one of them). Many states it's the same as ignoring a "Shirt and Shoes required" sign.

As soon as carrying a gun past a posting of ANY kind, including enforceable 30.06/30.07 carries the same weight as drinking a Big Red past a "No Food or Drinks" sign, we're having a different conversation.

Until then, 30.06, and the requirements around it are here to stay.
:iagree:

If businesses do not like having big ugly signs in their windows they are free to not post them. The abnormal thing here is making it a crime to not do what the sign says. In every other case (no food/drinks, etc), the signs are simply ways to inform a visitor of the property owners' wishes. If the visitor ignores those wishes, the property owner can exercise their legal rights, including the right to ask that person to leave. That should also be the case with "no guns" signs, IMHO.

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

Ruark wrote:... More and more print shops are mass-marketing signs to businesses. Now they're even using email spam and Google ad tracking - I looked at a sign-selling website (nocarrysigns.com, mysecuritysign.com, 30.07sign.com, and many others) and now their banner ads are constantly appearing when I use the web. ...
You're getting those ads placed when you play around on the web BECAUSE you visited those websites in the first place. You showed an interest in those items and Goodle and other ad placers are merely feeding you more of what you'rve shown to be intersted in.

Go to Cabelas and root around for a while, looking at specific items, and the Cabelas ads should replace the sign ads, for a while.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LSUTiger wrote:
C-dub wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:
C-dub wrote:
LSUTiger wrote:I want to see allowing armed staff or mandatory police based on student population in every dang Pre, K-12 school in the state. It's time we start protecting our children!!!!
Allowing the staff to be armed is already allowed by the state. It is only up to the school or school district to choose to allow it or not.
Every school district needs to allow it then. Make it so they can't disallow it.
A few do. I also wish it were more. And those that do only allow certain trained staff. I wish they would just allow any CHL/LTC holder. If they would allow other non staff members to carry I could see them limiting it to parents that have children in that school, but of course, the only way to ensure that would be to require that those parents "register" with the school that they are such a person. How many would be willing to do that? For me, since my daughter has been in a private school so far from K-8 I would have. However, next year, she'll be in public high school and I'm not sure if I'd do that for them. I might, but it will be unlikely that I'll have to make that choice.

My kids are also in private K-8 school. I know the parents of a few of their classmates who are LTC and that's just in 2 classes, I wonder how many parents are LTC in the whole school? I wouldn't expect people besides staff or parents to volunteer. I would volunteer until they are old enough to carry themselves.

As LTC, "we" are already "registered" with the state.

Even as parents we have to have VIRTUS training to volunteer to help at school, so in a way parents are already "registered" with the school as meeting certain requirements to volunteer.

Now just hanging out at school providing security people would wander what you are doing there unless a program was in place so I guess you might be right about "registering" with the school but I'd do it for my kids as opposed to leaving them defenseless and unprotected in a gun free zone as sitting ducks for someone looking for their 15 minutes of infamy. Parents need to start stepping up for their kids protection.

But it's no different that being a LEO providing the same service. LEO's are "registered" with somebody.

I agree that schools should enlist LTC parent volunteers for their campuses. As far as being "registered" if your child is a student, you are already "registered' with the school, it would just be a matter of having a file with something like "LTC volunteers" on it and a verification form showing that you are a LTC holder. It would have to be updated annually just like your child's immunization records etc. but it could be kept only on that campus. The other issue, of course, is adults "just hanging around" I'm sure there would need to be some type of identifier to wear, a safety vest etc.., for two reasons, one to let everyone know that you are authorized to be there and second if there was an incident, you would be quickly identified as a GG. by responding LEOs.

Just my two cents.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

n5wd wrote:
Ruark wrote:... More and more print shops are mass-marketing signs to businesses. Now they're even using email spam and Google ad tracking - I looked at a sign-selling website (nocarrysigns.com, mysecuritysign.com, 30.07sign.com, and many others) and now their banner ads are constantly appearing when I use the web. ...
You're getting those ads placed when you play around on the web BECAUSE you visited those websites in the first place. You showed an interest in those items and Goodle and other ad placers are merely feeding you more of what you'rve shown to be intersted in.

Go to Cabelas and root around for a while, looking at specific items, and the Cabelas ads should replace the sign ads, for a while.
Might try doing research in incognito mode.
NRA Benefactor Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Jago668 wrote:
n5wd wrote:

Might try doing research in incognito mode.

Cognito is just west of Communicado

:tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”