How would a normal citizen propose legislation?

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How would a normal citizen propose legislation?

Post by Pariah3j »

I believe in Texas that is how its done. It must be sponsored by or brought forth by a member of the legislator. Having a group backing or a petition w/ x number of signatures might give it more weight so they might take it more seriously.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

KLB
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KLB »

Pariah3j wrote:Having a group backing or a petition w/ x number of signatures might give it more weight so they might take it more seriously.
Or taking out a home equity loan and spreading the proceeds among influential legislators.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Talk to your local representative(s) and see if they will champion a bill on it. That is the best ear you normally will get.

If you are not sure who they are, use this link http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pariah3j »

I'm a little confused - I didn't start this thread, only replied to the question posed. But the forum shows me as the owner/creator of the topic.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Pariah3j wrote:I'm a little confused - I didn't start this thread, only replied to the question posed. But the forum shows me as the owner/creator of the topic.

Maybe the original topic author was taken away by the moderators, I have seen it happen a couple of times where the original was either deleted by the author or the author was banned for some reason. Since the thread is still here, I would imagine it was the author who deleted it JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I thought that was an odd first post...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Keith hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I did. Had an idea, contacted my State Rep, scheduled a meeting, worked with one of his staff to collect data, helped staffer write bill, after it was introduced and referred to committee, waited for it to be scheduled for a hearing, testified, and WAITED. It was really gratifying when my little bill passed and was signed into law. In the grand scheme of things it was not much, but definitely showed me that one constiuant and a (then) Freshman Stae Rep CAN get something done. It is just a long and laborious process even to get a non-controversial bill through.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”