5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
mojo84
Senior Member
Posts: 7828
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby mojo84 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:18 pm

Found it is discriminatory and unconstitutional per reports.


mr1337
Senior Member
Posts: 1193
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm
Location: Austin

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby mr1337 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Came here to post about it as well.

I wonder if they could do the same for LTCs, which I think could be more discriminatory than the voter ID laws because of the fees involved.

To my point, here's a quote from the article:

No American should ever lose their right to vote just because they don’t have a photo ID.


I don't think an ID should be required for any rights.

No American should ever lose their right to bear arms just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to be free from unreasonable search & seizures just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to remain silent just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to a trial by the jury of their peers just because they don’t have a photo ID.

The list could go on.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

User avatar

Middle Age Russ
Senior Member
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am
Location: Spring-Woodlands

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby Middle Age Russ » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:12 pm

I am not sure that the Courts haven't decided to get on the "Turn Texas Blue" bandwagon. One voter -- one vote. If you can't validate that you are someone who can vote, you should not be allowed to.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor


NTexCopRetired
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby NTexCopRetired » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:26 pm

So will the IRS be found to be "discriminatory and unconstitutional" when they have a mandatory requirement to furnish your government issued ID to get a tax refund? Starting next April.


rotor
Senior Member
Posts: 2274
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby rotor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:34 pm

NTexCopRetired wrote:So will the IRS be found to be "discriminatory and unconstitutional" when they have a mandatory requirement to furnish your government issued ID to get a tax refund? Starting next April.

Or try to sign up for your social security without some excellent ID like a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.

User avatar

JALLEN
Senior Member
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:11 pm
Location: Comal County

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby JALLEN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:26 pm

What's the objection to having ID?

I realize there is a long, proud tradtion in our DNA of "you can't make me!" but really, given the equally, and maybe even more, important stake in the integrity of our votes, what's the objection?

The Communists formerly known as Democrats have a long rich history of election rigging. At my former polling place in California, anyone could walk in, say they were me and get a ballot. There is no effective means of determining eligibility to vote, or establishing who is voting. One of my pals, not a US citizen, could have cast a ballot. No one would really know. As prevalent as ID theft has become, it is appalling, and unacceptable, to be unable to be sure that only eligible voters vote, and only once and that it is really them voting.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.


koine2002
Senior Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:34 am

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby koine2002 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:39 pm

The left wants us to be more like Europe. Do they not realize that most European countries require government issued ID? There's a provision for someone to get, free of charge, an ID specifically for voting in the Texas law. How is that so hard? Furthermore, based on what I get in the mail, I could vote about 8 times each election (without ID) as previous residents (who have moved out of state) still get voter registration sent to my address. I just let those folks know that they're getting registration cards and to notify the appropriate authorities. I then shred them.
Taurus 709 Slim
Smith and Wesson Model 5904

User avatar

Topic author
mojo84
Senior Member
Posts: 7828
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:07 pm
Location: Boerne, TX (Kendall County)

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby mojo84 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:25 pm

JALLEN wrote:What's the objection to having ID?

I realize there is a long, proud tradtion in our DNA of "you can't make me!" but really, given the equally, and maybe even more, important stake in the integrity of our votes, what's the objection?

The Communists formerly known as Democrats have a long rich history of election rigging. At my former polling place in California, anyone could walk in, say they were me and get a ballot. There is no effective means of determining eligibility to vote, or establishing who is voting. One of my pals, not a US citizen, could have cast a ballot. No one would really know. As prevalent as ID theft has become, it is appalling, and unacceptable, to be unable to be sure that only eligible voters vote, and only once and that it is really them voting.


You'll have to ask the 5th Circuit and the progressive dems. I support an ID to vote 100%.

User avatar

sbrawley
Senior Member
Posts: 640
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm
Location: Lubbock

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby sbrawley » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:31 am

koine2002 wrote:The left wants us to be more like Europe. Do they not realize that most European countries require government issued ID? There's a provision for someone to get, free of charge, an ID specifically for voting in the Texas law. How is that so hard? Furthermore, based on what I get in the mail, I could vote about 8 times each election (without ID) as previous residents (who have moved out of state) still get voter registration sent to my address. I just let those folks know that they're getting registration cards and to notify the appropriate authorities. I then shred them.


Do they not realize that we broke away from a European country to become an independent nation?
When government takes away citizens' right to bear arms, it becomes citizens' duty to take away government's right to govern
Unknown
2015 NRA Lifetime Member


eureka40
Senior Member
Posts: 628
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Pflugerville

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby eureka40 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:32 am

Where is the "right" to vote listed in the constitution?
TSRA Life Memeber

User avatar

Pawpaw
Senior Member
Posts: 5368
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:16 am
Location: Hunt County

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby Pawpaw » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:31 am

Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby Vol Texan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:04 am

Pawpaw wrote:Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.


It's hard to believe that a liberal rag could get it right, but this one does:

Salon.com: Voting is not a right

How could it be a right, but the SCOTUS said it wasn't (when it affirmed Bush v Gore), and the left wants to introduce the right as an amendment?
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

Armored Cav. | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator


brokedown48
Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 pm

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby brokedown48 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:49 am

I personally don't see anything wrong with having to have photo ID to vote, should help cut down on fraud, prove who you are & that you are legally allowed to vote
NRA
TSRA
C&R


koine2002
Senior Member
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:34 am

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby koine2002 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:21 am

Pawpaw wrote:Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.


Meh. Most of the founders did not like universal suffrage. They didn't trust democracy. They trusted the rule of law. That's why we're a republic. Before later amended, the constitution had only landowning free men as those who could vote. While I despise slavery and institutional racism, I see the point. I'm more about protecting the fact that we're governed by impartial law not by partial men (the rule of law), the primacy of the states, and individual liberty than I am for defending the tyranny of a majority. There was great concern among the founders that an uninformed populace would vote away the revolution, would vote largess for themselves, and would vote away their rights in the name of other things.
Taurus 709 Slim
Smith and Wesson Model 5904

User avatar

Vol Texan
Senior Member
Posts: 1601
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am
Location: Houston

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Postby Vol Texan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:28 am

koine2002 wrote:There was great concern among the founders that an uninformed populace would vote away the revolution, would vote largess for themselves, and would vote away their rights in the name of other things.


And their concerns have come to fruition.
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

Armored Cav. | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator


Return to “General Legislative Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest