5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Post by mojo84 »

Found it is discriminatory and unconstitutional per reports.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Post by mr1337 »

Came here to post about it as well.

I wonder if they could do the same for LTCs, which I think could be more discriminatory than the voter ID laws because of the fees involved.

To my point, here's a quote from the article:
No American should ever lose their right to vote just because they don’t have a photo ID.
I don't think an ID should be required for any rights.

No American should ever lose their right to bear arms just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to be free from unreasonable search & seizures just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to remain silent just because they don’t have a photo ID.

No American should ever lose their right to a trial by the jury of their peers just because they don’t have a photo ID.

The list could go on.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I am not sure that the Courts haven't decided to get on the "Turn Texas Blue" bandwagon. One voter -- one vote. If you can't validate that you are someone who can vote, you should not be allowed to.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

So will the IRS be found to be "discriminatory and unconstitutional" when they have a mandatory requirement to furnish your government issued ID to get a tax refund? Starting next April.

rotor

Post by rotor »

NTexCopRetired wrote:So will the IRS be found to be "discriminatory and unconstitutional" when they have a mandatory requirement to furnish your government issued ID to get a tax refund? Starting next April.
Or try to sign up for your social security without some excellent ID like a certified copy of your birth certificate or passport.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

What's the objection to having ID?

I realize there is a long, proud tradtion in our DNA of "you can't make me!" but really, given the equally, and maybe even more, important stake in the integrity of our votes, what's the objection?

The Communists formerly known as Democrats have a long rich history of election rigging. At my former polling place in California, anyone could walk in, say they were me and get a ballot. There is no effective means of determining eligibility to vote, or establishing who is voting. One of my pals, not a US citizen, could have cast a ballot. No one would really know. As prevalent as ID theft has become, it is appalling, and unacceptable, to be unable to be sure that only eligible voters vote, and only once and that it is really them voting.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

JALLEN wrote:What's the objection to having ID?

I realize there is a long, proud tradtion in our DNA of "you can't make me!" but really, given the equally, and maybe even more, important stake in the integrity of our votes, what's the objection?

The Communists formerly known as Democrats have a long rich history of election rigging. At my former polling place in California, anyone could walk in, say they were me and get a ballot. There is no effective means of determining eligibility to vote, or establishing who is voting. One of my pals, not a US citizen, could have cast a ballot. No one would really know. As prevalent as ID theft has become, it is appalling, and unacceptable, to be unable to be sure that only eligible voters vote, and only once and that it is really them voting.
You'll have to ask the 5th Circuit and the progressive dems. I support an ID to vote 100%.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

Where is the "right" to vote listed in the constitution?
TSRA Life Memeber

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Vol Texan »

Pawpaw wrote:Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.
It's hard to believe that a liberal rag could get it right, but this one does:

Salon.com: Voting is not a right

How could it be a right, but the SCOTUS said it wasn't (when it affirmed Bush v Gore), and the left wants to introduce the right as an amendment?
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

brokedown48

Post by brokedown48 »

I personally don't see anything wrong with having to have photo ID to vote, should help cut down on fraud, prove who you are & that you are legally allowed to vote
NRA
TSRA
C&R

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Vol Texan »

koine2002 wrote:There was great concern among the founders that an uninformed populace would vote away the revolution, would vote largess for themselves, and would vote away their rights in the name of other things.
And their concerns have come to fruition.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”