5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 5

Re: 5th Circuit Court of Appeals - TX voter ID law

Post by JALLEN »

Pawpaw wrote:Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.
The question is not over the right to vote. Every eligible voter can vote. Any eligible voter can demonstrate eligibility by registering and identifying as that eligible person.

The only people who see this as a problem are those who profit by uncertainty, dishonesty, and fraud.

I dare them to produce an eligible voter who cannot obtain identity and register, and vote. Where are they? Nobody would stop them from doing so.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Middle Age Russ »

The only people who see this as a problem are those who profit by uncertainty, dishonesty, and fraud.

I dare them to produce an eligible voter who cannot obtain identity and register, and vote. Where are they? Nobody would stop them from doing so.
AMEN!
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Maybe this is the response we need.

Find a dozen or so healthy people in each county. Get them appointed as registrars of voters. Then, heavily publicise that any eligible voter who desires it can register and obtain the required ID, easy, and free.

Those registrars can go to them and take care of it.

Where are these ~600,000 voters who can't vote?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bblhd672 »

JALLEN wrote:Where are these ~600,000 voters who can't vote?
Right now they're probably in Mexico, Syria, etc.

I just don't get the logic - you have to have a photo ID for just about everything else you do in this country.

Why do we "discriminate" by requiring a photo ID for opening a bank account, getting on a plane, etc?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

JALLEN wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:Without the right to vote, the Constitution is just a piece of paper.
The question is not over the right to vote. Every eligible voter can vote. Any eligible voter can demonstrate eligibility by registering and identifying as that eligible person.

I'm not arguing that point. I agree that showing ID should not be a problem and infringes on nothing.

I was simply answering the question:
eureka40 wrote:Where is the "right" to vote listed in the constitution?
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

The progressive democrat hypocrisy drives me nuts. So, it's racist to require an ID to vote but not to attend DNC?

Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

mojo84 wrote:The progressive democrat hypocrisy drives me nuts. So, it's racist to require an ID to vote but not to attend DNC?
Priceless.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Skiprr wrote:
mojo84 wrote:The progressive democrat hypocrisy drives me nuts. So, it's racist to require an ID to vote but not to attend DNC?
Priceless.
Where's that 'like' emoji? :thumbs2: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

JALLEN wrote:Maybe this is the response we need.

Find a dozen or so healthy people in each county. Get them appointed as registrars of voters. Then, heavily publicise that any eligible voter who desires it can register and obtain the required ID, easy, and free.

Those registrars can go to them and take care of it.

Where are these ~600,000 voters who can't vote?
in the cemeteries.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

allisji

Post by allisji »

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/08/ ... -november/
individuals presenting a valid “voter registration certificate, certified birth certificate, a current utility bill, a bank statement, a government check, a paycheck, or any other government document that displays the voter’s name and an address and complete and sign a reasonable impediment declaration shall be permitted” to vote a regular ballot as well.
The agreement also specifies that voters declaring an inability to acquire proper photo ID in time for the election cannot be questioned by election officials unless “conclusive evidence” is presented to demonstrate that an identity is being falsified. Further, identifying documents provided at check-in do not have to match addresses shown in the registry of voters
Any document that displays a voter's name and an address can be used for voter check-in. Address doesn't have to match that of the voter's registration.

Just curious if anyone on this forum has voted without an ID before? I'm relatively young still. I guess that I could imagine showing up to a polling place telling the person my name and having them check me off of their list. I'm sure that in the smaller towns many voters know all of the election volunteers at the polling place. I've had a government issued photo ID probably since I was 12 or 13 years old.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

allisji wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/08/ ... -november/
individuals presenting a valid “voter registration certificate, certified birth certificate, a current utility bill, a bank statement, a government check, a paycheck, or any other government document that displays the voter’s name and an address and complete and sign a reasonable impediment declaration shall be permitted” to vote a regular ballot as well.
The agreement also specifies that voters declaring an inability to acquire proper photo ID in time for the election cannot be questioned by election officials unless “conclusive evidence” is presented to demonstrate that an identity is being falsified. Further, identifying documents provided at check-in do not have to match addresses shown in the registry of voters
Any document that displays a voter's name and an address can be used for voter check-in. Address doesn't have to match that of the voter's registration.

Just curious if anyone on this forum has voted without an ID before? I'm relatively young still. I guess that I could imagine showing up to a polling place telling the person my name and having them check me off of their list. I'm sure that in the smaller towns many voters know all of the election volunteers at the polling place. I've had a government issued photo ID probably since I was 12 or 13 years old.

I have several times in the past. I told the volunteer my name and address, he or she looked me up on the voter roll and sent me to get a ballot. She had no idea if I was the person whom I said I was. I prefer to show my ID to get a ballot as I believe it helps ensure a fairer election. It just takes one fraudulently cast ballot to cancel mine out.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by Soap »

mojo84 wrote:Found it is discriminatory and unconstitutional per reports.
This is good news. This means gun laws are discriminatory! haha.

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

I was really hoping this would have gone through. If only as a means to prevent the fraud we all know goes on.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

[quote="allisj]

Just curious if anyone on this forum has voted without an ID before? I'm relatively young still. I guess that I could imagine showing up to a polling place telling the person my name and having them check me off of their list. I'm sure that in the smaller towns many voters know all of the election volunteers at the polling place. I've had a government issued photo ID probably since I was 12 or 13 years old.[/quote]

I voted that way in CA for 45 years. It is ridiculous. Farrah Fawcett could have come to my polling place, said she was me, and voted. Never an ID, nothing. Getting on the voter roll was absurdly easy and unverified.

My buddy here on a green card could have registered and voted if he had decided to, self-respect and the habit of complying with laws the only deterrent.

There is nothing to stop folks from designating an agent to cast their ballot. It's illegal, of course, but what's to stop someone who doesn't want to get off work, stand in line from designating someone, a precinct captain, for example, to cast ballots for everyone. Wink, wink!

allisji

Post by allisji »

JALLEN wrote:[quote="allisj]

I voted that way in CA for 45 years. It is ridiculous. Farrah Fawcett could have come to my polling place, said she was me, and voted. Never an ID, nothing. Getting on the voter roll was absurdly easy and unverified.

My buddy here on a green card could have registered and voted if he had decided to, self-respect and the habit of complying with laws the only deterrent.

There is nothing to stop folks from designating an agent to cast their ballot. It's illegal, of course, but what's to stop someone who doesn't want to get off work, stand in line from designating someone, a precinct captain, for example, to cast ballots for everyone. Wink, wink![/quote][/quote]

The habit of complying with the laws is always getting in the way.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”