uneven reciprocity

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
a.nonimous
Posts in topic: 1

uneven reciprocity

Post by a.nonimous »

any way to speak with our state legislators about reciprocity? Texas is very generous and recognizes valid permits from pretty much any state, yet other states (NY,CA,MA,NV ETC) are far less accommodating to us (Texas LTC holders) -- my question is why does Texas recognize permits from citizens of states that don't recognize ours????

Obviously Texas cannot change other states laws, but they can change ours to equal reciprocity..... in other words, if they recognize ours, we recognize theirs --- and if they (the other states) don't, we don't recognize theirs. The idea is perhaps that would lead other states residents to lobby their legislature to do the same and further expand 2nd amendment rights for all responsible citizens. :txflag: :patriot:

C-dub

Re: uneven reciprocity

Post by C-dub »

I think one of the main reasons other states do not recognize ours or some other states' licenses is because some states allow people under the age of 21 to be licensed if they are in the military. The states that don't allow that won't recognize another state's license that does.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

a.nonimous wrote:any way to speak with our state legislators about reciprocity? Texas is very generous and recognizes valid permits from pretty much any state, yet other states (NY,CA,MA,NV ETC) are far less accommodating to us (Texas LTC holders) -- my question is why does Texas recognize permits from citizens of states that don't recognize ours????

Obviously Texas cannot change other states laws, but they can change ours to equal reciprocity..... in other words, if they recognize ours, we recognize theirs --- and if they (the other states) don't, we don't recognize theirs. The idea is perhaps that would lead other states residents to lobby their legislature to do the same and further expand 2nd amendment rights for all responsible citizens. :txflag: :patriot:
Nevada recognizes Texas LTC. Some other states like NH, CT, and ME make it very easy to get a non-res if you have TX license. NY, CA, MA, and other may issue states are never going to change, so why hose their few people who manage to get a permit, it's not going to help us.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ELB

Post by ELB »

a.nonimous wrote:...Obviously Texas cannot change other states laws, but they can change ours to equal reciprocity..... in other words, if they recognize ours, we recognize theirs --- and if they (the other states) don't, we don't recognize theirs. ...
So why do you want to suppress the expression of 2A rights by other 2A supporters when they are in our state?

Do you think their states don't recognize Texas LTCs because the 2A people in that state want it that way? In particular you mentioned CA and NY; do you think their legislators care if we keep their licensees from carrying in Texas? If they care at all, they would cheer if we rescinded Governor Perry's proclamations recognizing their state carry licenses. Doing so (rescinding the proclamations) would work to the advantage of the antis and to the detriment of 2A supporters.

All this proposal would do is shrink, not expand the expression of 2A rights, sow division in the 2A community, and play into the hands of the antis.
USAF 1982-2005

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

There are very few CA permit holders. Reciprocity means nearly nothng. Some counties would have a hard time fielding a softball team. Permits are issued by county sheriffs.

In San Diego where I had a permit, I was under the impression there were around 1800 of us. The most recent numbers I've seen were around 800.

We handled reciprocity by getting Florida and Utah permits.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

ELB wrote:
a.nonimous wrote:...Obviously Texas cannot change other states laws, but they can change ours to equal reciprocity..... in other words, if they recognize ours, we recognize theirs --- and if they (the other states) don't, we don't recognize theirs. ...
So why do you want to suppress the expression of 2A rights by other 2A supporters when they are in our state?

Do you think their states don't recognize Texas LTCs because the 2A people in that state want it that way? In particular you mentioned CA and NY; do you think their legislators care if we keep their licensees from carrying in Texas? If they care at all, they would cheer if we rescinded Governor Perry's proclamations recognizing their state carry licenses. Doing so (rescinding the proclamations) would work to the advantage of the antis and to the detriment of 2A supporters.

All this proposal would do is shrink, not expand the expression of 2A rights, sow division in the 2A community, and play into the hands of the antis.
Exactly.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

ELB wrote:

Thank you, ELB.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

HadEmAll

Post by HadEmAll »

a.nonimous wrote:-- my question is why does Texas recognize permits from citizens of states that don't recognize ours?
That happened during Rick Perry's governorship. The stated purpose was that by giving reciprocity to every state that had a carry program of some sort, it would encourage them to reciprocate.

I wasn't in favor of it then, as now, as I didn't believe it would work.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Negative reciprocity (if you will) isn't the way to go.

Paralleling ELB's sentiments, the more 2nd Amendment folks the merrier.

California coastal, pretend elites, have no tolerance (or stomach) for self defense. They'd rather be killed than defend themselves or their loved ones. Yep, they pretend to be Gandhi-like when, pppssst, it's really a simple matter of cowardice. How do I know? I've met them. Talked at length with them. They would, when being temporarily candid, admit they'd let ME defend them, but wouldn't dirty their hands with a gun themselves.

California coastal, pretend elites, love to prattle on quite condescendingly about social justice, sustainability, diversity, homophobia (aimed at any white, heterosexual Republican) racism, going green, bashing the Koch brothers for being wealthy conservatives while ignoring Soros, a wealthy commie. Oxmoron? Nope, remember Dr. Armand Hammer? He was a very wealthy, tycoon/communist. All the while gnashing their teeth at us gun toters. Why do you suppose that is? For one thing, we're willing to take responsibility for ourselves. They mindlessly depend on big brother, even if bb has fallen flat on his face again and again when it comes to defending those that need it now...

Wow!

I got a bit wound up, eh?

Still true though...

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”