Changing the Laws of Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
TEX
Posts in topic: 2

Changing the Laws of Texas

Post by TEX »

How do you change laws in Texas from a citizen’s efforts other than asking your representative to introduce a bill. I don’t believe Texas has “direct initiative” where a petition that receives the required number of signatures automatically qualifies to be put on the ballot, and assume Texas has an “indirect initiative” system whereby, after receiving the specific number of signatures, the legislature decides if the measure will go on the ballot.

If we have the latter system, exactly what are the steps or mechanics to accomplishing this.

If we don't have a system remotely like this, what do we have and how does it work?

Any info or direction to a good web page would be greatly appreciated.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

KLB

Re: Changing the Laws of Texas

Post by KLB »

No initiative in Texas. At a minimum you need a friendly legislator. Better that you have a powerful trade or similar group able to donate oodles of cash, plus friendly legislators--though the cash helps in the latter department.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

Without more information, your question is difficult to answer. Changing an existing law, is difficult, even if there is an overwhelming majority of the people in one district, that want to change it.
First you need to be able to understand the entire history of the law you wish to change, why was it enacted, when was it enacted, what events, or political landscape, prompted the law to be written in the first place etc. You will then need to demonstrate the reasons, you want the law to be changed. Laws effect everyone, sometimes in different ways, so "because me and my neighbors don't like it" is not going to get you very far.
Meet with the representatives in your district, either at the Capitol,or in their district office(s). explain your reasons for wanting the change, bring any and all petitions, affidavits, examples, of how the law has negatively effected you and others, etc. Then ask your representatives, how they think you should proceed, their opinions, on the proposed changes, and any additional changes they feel would be viable. This is a very condensed version of how you may want to proceed, and don't expect quick answers, or a quick turnaround. Legislative sessions, have a huge number of bills, proposed bills, referendums, etc, long before the session starts, so unless you have major support from several districts, the chances are, you proposed changes, may never see the floor in the Capitol. If you are determined, and can garner enough support from others, you can effect change, but it takes a lot of work, dedication, and research. You may also have to deal with representatives, who even if they support you proposals, will lose a re-election bid. That's the nature of the beast.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Get elected to office and git-er-done.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
TEX

Post by TEX »

Never though it would be easy. Let me rephrase the question. What does it take petition wise to force something onto the ballot, like can be done in California, or is that option denied to Texans. I am not taking about changing a law, but actually creating one.
There will be no peace until they love their children more than they hate us - Golda Meir

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TEX wrote:Never though it would be easy. Let me rephrase the question. What does it take petition wise to force something onto the ballot, like can be done in California, or is that option denied to Texans. I am not taking about changing a law, but actually creating one.
Having lived most of my life in California, until moving here in 2006, believe me, you don't want the kind of initiative system California has. It has been a freaking nightmare......particularly in regard to the rights of citizens.

If Texas ever enacts a similar system, it will be the beginning of its long downhill slide into Californianism.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The legislative process in Texas is designed to be difficult, for a reason. Changing or creating laws should not be easy.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:The legislative process in Texas is designed to be difficult, for a reason. Changing or creating laws should not be easy.
It's like the Constitution. It should be difficult to change for any number of reasons - not the least of which is to dampen the effects of tyranny. It also makes it harder to flip flop back and forth on laws. Law-makers find it easy to "send messages" and to burden the citizenry with lots of laws, partly because it justifies their existences. One of the things that I flat LOVE about Texas is that its legislature only meets on odd numbered years. It drastically lowers the opportunities for mischief at the taxpayers' expense. The initiative process in California completely removes the elected representation from the process of legislating, and, it makes it too easy to pass things. Sometimes that's good, but more often than not, it is bad - particularly when ballot initiatives involve budgetary matters. The voters will vote themselves almost any largess at the expense of the state, when all law is decided by direct ballot.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
TexasJohnBoy wrote:The legislative process in Texas is designed to be difficult, for a reason. Changing or creating laws should not be easy.
It's like the Constitution. It should be difficult to change for any number of reasons - not the least of which is to dampen the effects of tyranny. It also makes it harder to flip flop back and forth on laws. Law-makers find it easy to "send messages" and to burden the citizenry with lots of laws, partly because it justifies their existences. One of the things that I flat LOVE about Texas is that its legislature only meets on odd numbered years. It drastically lowers the opportunities for mischief at the taxpayers' expense. The initiative process in California completely removes the elected representation from the process of legislating, and, it makes it too easy to pass things. Sometimes that's good, but more often than not, it is bad - particularly when ballot initiatives involve budgetary matters. The voters will vote themselves almost any largess at the expense of the state, when all law is decided by direct ballot.
Not only every other year, but for a defined finite amount of time for each session!

I swear it feels like D.C. is never out of session.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It's not supposed to be easy. That's why obummer has done things through executive whatevers and gotten the epa and other various agencies to do so much damage with regulations. In order to circumvent the law making process when they didn't have a super majority in congress.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

C-dub wrote:It's not supposed to be easy. That's why obummer has done things through executive whatevers and gotten the epa and other various agencies to do so much damage with regulations. In order to circumvent the law making process when they didn't have a super majority in congress.
Exactly right!

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Talking to your legislatures is mostly a waste of time more than likely. They have their own agendas and special interest. If it's not their idea then it's not a good idea attitudes. That's what Trump is fighting against.

KLB

Post by KLB »

The Wall wrote:Talking to your legislatures is mostly a waste of time more than likely. They have their own agendas and special interest. If it's not their idea then it's not a good idea attitudes. That's what Trump is fighting against.
That's why I mentioned trade groups with lots of money. Legislators all se habla dinero.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”