Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Post by Liberty »

I thought we didn't have any such thing as hate crimes in Texas.
People who target cops deserve extra attention. But Killing a cop in Texas is a capital crime. What does the new law change? Can we kill the convicted twice? or not allow him a last meal? Usually, laws passed under recent emotional duress turn out to be bad ideas. I don't see a bad side to this bill, but it does sound unnecessary and something that will detract from getting our gun agenda and constitutional carry serious consideration.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Liberty wrote:IWhat does the new law change?.
Nothing- but it makes the politicians feel good about themselves. About as useful as getting on social media holding a sign that says "#stop killing cops"
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

nonleg

Post by nonleg »

Fully agree with you Liberty. Murder, by definition, is the ultimate hate crime in and of itself.
Let's not overthink this. Whatever it is.

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 3

Post by nightmare69 »

I see this as an added charge for an assault on a peace officer.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

nightmare69 wrote:I see this as an added charge for an assault on a peace officer.

It is already Aggravated Assault. (possibly attempted capital murder) If they want to increase the penalty for it occurring to LEO, why not just amend that statute?

While I agree that we should do all we can to protect police officers, I don't see this as being more of a deterrent. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Maybe he's simply making a statement that calling a crime "a hate crime" is spurious.

A crime is a crime, we need no additional PC-ness entered into it...

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I hate "hate crimes" legislation. Instead, why don't they just make it an automatic charge of a capital offense?
Ron
NRA Member

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Better yet, how about having laws that treat everyone equally; if the penalty for assault isn't high enough to cover assaulting a nun, the President or a cop, increase the penalty across the board.

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Jusme wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I see this as an added charge for an assault on a peace officer.

It is already Aggravated Assault. (possibly attempted capital murder) If they want to increase the penalty for it occurring to LEO, why not just amend that statute?

While I agree that we should do all we can to protect police officers, I don't see this as being more of a deterrent. JMHO

A man walks up and punches a cop you could charge him with assault on a peace officer and hate crime or whatever they will call this law in the penal code.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

It's only a hate crime of the cop is a certain "color", right? :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

nightmare69 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

A man walks up and punches a cop you could charge him with assault on a peace officer and hate crime or whatever they will call this law in the penal code.

That's true, but, my point being, if being charged with Aggravated Assault, isn't enough of a deterrent, what will adding on a separate charge do, that can't be done, simply by increasing the penalty of the Agg. Assault? If someone is going to attack a police officer, they probably don't care that they will also be charged with a hate crime. There is no burden of proof for motive, in the Aggravated Assault statute, so why try to pass a law that would require one? Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, if any one of these criteria are met, then the charge can be applied. There is no need to delve into a person's emotions. JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

nonleg wrote:Fully agree with you Liberty. Murder, by definition, is the ultimate hate crime in and of itself.
As a society we need to stop this trend of adding "hate crime laws". There are already laws in place for the crimes, they just need to be prosecuted and harsh sentencing applied to convicted criminals.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

bblhd672 wrote:
nonleg wrote:Fully agree with you Liberty. Murder, by definition, is the ultimate hate crime in and of itself.
As a society we need to stop this trend of adding "hate crime laws". There are already laws in place for the crimes, they just need to be prosecuted and harsh sentencing applied to convicted criminals.
:iagree:
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Jusme wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

That's true, but, my point being, if being charged with Aggravated Assault, isn't enough of a deterrent, what will adding on a separate charge do, that can't be done, simply by increasing the penalty of the Agg. Assault? If someone is going to attack a police officer, they probably don't care that they will also be charged with a hate crime. There is no burden of proof for motive, in the Aggravated Assault statute, so why try to pass a law that would require one? Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, if any one of these criteria are met, then the charge can be applied. There is no need to delve into a person's emotions. JMHO.
It's not going to be a deterrent for some scumbag. The only purpose it will serve is to keep the scumbag locked up awhile longer.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”