Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3804
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby Jusme » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

nightmare69 wrote:
Jusme wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
Jusme wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:I see this as an added charge for an assault on a peace officer.



It is already Aggravated Assault. (possibly attempted capital murder) If they want to increase the penalty for it occurring to LEO, why not just amend that statute?

While I agree that we should do all we can to protect police officers, I don't see this as being more of a deterrent. JMHO



A man walks up and punches a cop you could charge him with assault on a peace officer and hate crime or whatever they will call this law in the penal code.



That's true, but, my point being, if being charged with Aggravated Assault, isn't enough of a deterrent, what will adding on a separate charge do, that can't be done, simply by increasing the penalty of the Agg. Assault? If someone is going to attack a police officer, they probably don't care that they will also be charged with a hate crime. There is no burden of proof for motive, in the Aggravated Assault statute, so why try to pass a law that would require one? Intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly, if any one of these criteria are met, then the charge can be applied. There is no need to delve into a person's emotions. JMHO.


It's not going to be a deterrent for some scumbag. The only purpose it will serve is to keep the scumbag locked up awhile longer.


You can accomplish the same thing by amending the penalty, Agg Assault Peace officer, to require either a mandatory sentence, or a longer sentence.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

thatguyoverthere
Senior Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 pm
Location: Fannin County

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby thatguyoverthere » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:48 am

bblhd672 wrote:As a society we need to stop this trend of adding "hate crime laws". There are already laws in place for the crimes, they just need to be prosecuted and harsh sentencing applied to convicted criminals.


I agree. If it's a crime, it's a crime, period.


srothstein
Senior Member
Posts: 3817
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Luling, TX

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby srothstein » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:55 pm

KD5NRH wrote:Better yet, how about having laws that treat everyone equally; if the penalty for assault isn't high enough to cover assaulting a nun, the President or a cop, increase the penalty across the board.


I agree. I understand that attacking some people, such as cops or judges, because of their job is also a generalized attack on our societal systems. I still feel that there is too much special class legislation going on, including the extra penalties for cops, or for kids, or for politicians or the minorities. It leads to too much of the allowances for those same classes, such as carrying pistols places the other citizens cannot.
Steve Rothstein

User avatar

WildBill
Senior Member
Posts: 16466
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby WildBill » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:15 am

srothstein wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Better yet, how about having laws that treat everyone equally; if the penalty for assault isn't high enough to cover assaulting a nun, the President or a cop, increase the penalty across the board.


I agree. I understand that attacking some people, such as cops or judges, because of their job is also a generalized attack on our societal systems. I still feel that there is too much special class legislation going on, including the extra penalties for cops, or for kids, or for politicians or the minorities. It leads to too much of the allowances for those same classes, such as carrying pistols places the other citizens cannot.

:iagree: I disagree with the whole concept of "hate crime".
NRA Endowment Member


sheary
Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby sheary » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:03 pm

WildBill wrote: I disagree with the whole concept of "hate crime".

:iagree: It's sad to see Gov. Abbott abandon conservative principles and put feelings ahead of logic.


Rex B
Senior Member
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby Rex B » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:30 pm

WildBill wrote: :iagree: I disagree with the whole concept of "hate crime".


:iagree: with your disagreement
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

User avatar

Beiruty
Senior Member
Posts: 8283
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 pm
Location: DFW, Texas

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby Beiruty » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:56 pm

Assassinating Police Officer evokes Capital punishment for the offender. Improving the law means one thing, execution is in 1-yr.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment member


bulinm
Senior Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:29 am

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby bulinm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 am

I oppose any and all so-called hate crime legislation. What we already have should be repealed, now.
Dallas

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doin' in a rustic setting like this ?


locke_n_load
Senior Member
Posts: 920
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby locke_n_load » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:15 am

No special treatment for anyone. We are all citizens.
"They that would give up Essential Liberty, for a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"

EDC - Glock 26 Gen IV
CHL Holder since 10/08

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby AJSully421 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:41 pm

Hate crime?!?!?!

I don't commit a violent crime against ANYONE because I love them so darn much... I beat up or shoot someone because I hate the everliving, everloving, tar out of them.

All violent crime is a hate crime. Stop being stupid and wasting time on feel good measures that accomplish nothing.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.


WTR
Senior Member
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby WTR » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:41 am

I can see where some murders might be due to hate and others not. However, I believe all murders are heinous and should be treated equally.

User avatar

Texas_Blaze
Senior Member
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:55 pm
Location: Wilderness of MI

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby Texas_Blaze » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:21 am

Hate crimes are an invention of the deranged liberal mind. no thanks.


Rex B
Senior Member
Posts: 3531
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:30 pm
Location: DFW

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby Rex B » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:27 am

Hate crime is thoughtcrime.

It's Orwellian.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch


talltex
Senior Member
Posts: 722
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 pm
Location: Waco area

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby talltex » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:23 am

Rex B wrote:
WildBill wrote: :iagree: I disagree with the whole concept of "hate crime".


:iagree: with your disagreement

:thumbs2: Absolutely ! The entire concept of "hate crime" offenses is wrong. The crime is the crime...it shouldn't matter who you are or what sub-group you are defined to be part of. Everyone' s life is their life, and it is worth just as much to them and their family as anyone else's. There are already special enhanced laws to protect certain groups...including all LEOs...that I disagree with strongly. I don't think it should be an enhanced penalty just because someone touches an officer while being arrested even if there is no harm done to the officer just to "send a message" to the citizens that you cannot resist. There is already a law that has been in place for years..."resisting arrest". That should be sufficient. If someone takes an elbow in the ribs or a punch that is "aggravated assault"...it doesn't hurt the person more because he is an officer than an average Joe. Probably the elbow to the ribs much less because of protective gear. I'm simply not in favor of ANY group having enhanced charges. If I get hit, pushed,shoved, or shot, I'm at the same risk of injury and pain as any of the "protected" classes that fall under the "hate crimes" sub groups.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

User avatar

baseballguy2001
Member
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Violence against police could soon be hate crime in Texas

Postby baseballguy2001 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:09 pm

The legislation will probably pass and get singed into law. This just proves that statists are on both sides of the aisle. If a hypothetical cop-killer is caught, tried, and convicted, how much more punishment can one get besides the death penalty without removing any appeals? All this will do is add another protected class of people and more burden to the already overburdened tax payer.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
6.15.13--Renewal class
7.10.13-- Plastic


Return to “General Legislative Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests