Businesses Posting 30.06/07 Should Provide Safe Storage

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
DDfst21
Posts in topic: 3

Businesses Posting 30.06/07 Should Provide Safe Storage

Post by DDfst21 »

Businesses posting 30.06 / 07 signs exclude license holders that do not have cars, choose to walk, bike or use public transportation or are employed in such businesses. They have no other choice, but to leave their handgun at home. This has effectively nullified government code 411, sub chapter H and is discriminatory. I have proposed to my state representatives that such businesses be required to provide reasonable accommodation in the form of a secure storage locker outside these businesses.

CleverNickname
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Businesses Posting 30.06/07 Should Provide Safe Storage

Post by CleverNickname »

You have the choice not to go there. The fact that it might be really inconvenient to you shouldn't make a difference in the eyes of the law.

I would support lock boxes in government facilities where carry isn't allowed, particularly in places like courthouses where people are required to go (e.g. jury duty or as a participant in a court case), and where there's armed security to guard the lockboxes.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Restaurants could provide separate seating areas for people who are carrying.

Greeter: "Hello, do you want to be seated in safe area or the non-gun area?" :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

bblhd672 wrote:Restaurants could provide separate seating areas for people who are carrying.

Greeter: "Hello, do you want to be seated in safe area or the non-gun area?" :biggrinjester:
How about "Hello, do you want to be seated in victim area or the non-victim area?" ;-)
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Sounds like a logistic problem if nothing else. Just don't patronize. The below is not criticism of the OP but what my brain thought might realistically happen.

Business owner: Just throw it in the open safe with the rest of them.
Business owner: Oh, just use our individual lockers that we've purchased and installed for many thousand dollars. Oh, and please return the key when you're done since a few of them are missing.
Business owner: Please read the fine print that if you don't return to pick up your firearm within an undisclosed time frame it will be donated to our favorite charity, ourselves.
Business owner: Oh, it appears that your firearm was registered many years ago to a person who is a felon. We'll assume that's you and give it to the local authorities.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Sport Coach wrote:Sounds like a logistic problem if nothing else. Just don't patronize. The below is not criticism of the OP but what my brain thought might realistically happen.

Business owner: Just throw it in the open safe with the rest of them.
Business owner: Oh, just use our individual lockers that we've purchased and installed for many thousand dollars. Oh, and please return the key when you're done since a few of them are missing.
Business owner: Please read the fine print that if you don't return to pick up your firearm within an undisclosed time frame it will be donated to our favorite charity, ourselves.
Business owner: Oh, it appears that your firearm was registered many years ago to a person who is a felon. We'll assume that's you and give it to the local authorities.
There are states where government buildings that are off limits (i.e. courthouses) are required to provide lockers. I kind of like that. As for private businesses I'd prefer that they just eliminate the penalty for 30.06 violations, but that's not gonna happen.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

I may be off here, but I personally would not feel comfortable releasing control of my firearm to an individual or private business who would rather I be unarmed. I have no problem with 30.07 locations requesting that I cover up, however I have elected not to patronize restaurants, movie theaters, and other locations that would prohibit me from carrying completely. There are exceptions to places I will go, that are currently off limits.
I must disarm when I go vote
I must disarm when I go to customer sites for work (rare)
I must disarm if I report for jury summons
I must disarm if I have to enter a school to pick up children
I must disarm if I have to go to the post office (very rare)

These are places I have a duty to go, but it is prohibited to carry (for now). But for places where I have a choice? I elect to go elsewhere. This is just my opinion. Others are free to do as they please.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
DDfst21
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DDfst21 »

Just a few points to clarify:
1. Business Owners have the choice to remove the signs if they don't want the expense of providing locker.
2. Keyless user definable combination locks do not require a key.
3. Suggested wording as follows:

Business owners in Texas opting to post 30.06 / 30.07 notification signs shall be required to provide reasonable accommodation for patrons to secure weapons before entering the premises of the business. Reasonable accommodation is defined as a secure locker with individual felt lined and weather resistant compartments not less than 5 inches high by 10 inches wide by 5 inches deep accessed by a user definable combination lock. Locker shall be secured by concealed bolts to substantial building structure or other suitable structure and capable of meeting the equivalent of the forced entry provisions of GSA class 5W containers (Fed. Spec AA-F-358) for not less than 10 man minutes.

Number of individual compartments shall be based on the lesser number of 10 percent of the total occupant load as defined by the building code in force in the local jurisdiction or two (2) compartments for each 1,000 SF of gross floor area, but not less than two (2). Storage in such lockers outside of normal business hours is prohibited.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

DDfst21 wrote:2. Keyless user definable combination locks do not require a key.
Do you have no idea how easy it is to get into lockers/safes with this type of technology? I used to work for a company that, among other things, made these types of devices. Took me less than 1 minute to talk a maintenance tech or other staff member how to get into one that the customer locked when they checked out or just plain forgot the combo they set. Electronic keypad, RFID, or even a mag-stripe locker/safe is remarkably simple to get into with the minimum of fuss and using rather inexpensive components that can be bought off of eBay.

I certainly wouldn't trust one.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Y'all must have run out of anything to do?

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

Businesses without parking lots or insufficient parking spaces exclude Texans that drive trucks or cars, those who choose not to walk, bike or use public transportation or are unable. Also workers employed in such businesses. They have no other choice but to leave their motor vehicle at home. This is discriminatory.

I suggest we all contact our state representatives to propose that such businesses be required to provide reasonable accommodation in the form of a secure parking outside these businesses.

:leaving
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

DDfst21 wrote:Just a few points to clarify:
1. Business Owners have the choice to remove the signs if they don't want the expense of providing locker.

Business owners in Texas opting to post 30.06 / 30.07 notification signs shall be required to provide reasonable accommodation for patrons to secure weapons before entering the premises of the business. Reasonable accommodation is defined as a secure locker with individual felt lined and weather resistant compartments not less than 5 inches high by 10 inches wide by 5 inches deep accessed by a user definable combination lock. Locker shall be secured by concealed bolts to substantial building structure or other suitable structure and capable of meeting the equivalent of the forced entry provisions of GSA class 5W containers (Fed. Spec AA-F-358) for not less than 10 man minutes.

Number of individual compartments shall be based on the lesser number of 10 percent of the total occupant load as defined by the building code in force in the local jurisdiction or two (2) compartments for each 1,000 SF of gross floor area, but not less than two (2). Storage in such lockers outside of normal business hours is prohibited.
Will STILL cost a business owner thousands of dollars.......... to satisfy the 4% of the state's population that is licensed to carry a firearm.....of whom only a percentage actually carry their firearms?

It's not going to happen. They are not required to provide you with a microphone and a stage to exercise your 1st Amendment right. And they have rights as property owners too.

Just don't spend your money there. Spend it somewhere that appreciates your rights. That's what most of us do. Furthermore, a 30.07 sign doesn't exclude you. Just cover the gun up and go on in. It's 30.06 signs that are the real problem. Even so, vote with your wallet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Will STILL cost a business owner thousands of dollars.......... to satisfy the 4% of the state's population that is licensed to carry a firearm.....of whom only a percentage actually carry their firearms?

It's not going to happen. They are not required to provide you with a microphone and a stage to exercise your 1st Amendment right. And they have rights as property owners too.

Just don't spend your money there. Spend it somewhere that appreciates your rights. That's what most of us do. Furthermore, a 30.07 sign doesn't exclude you. Just cover the gun up and go on in. It's 30.06 signs that are the real problem. Even so, vote with your wallet.
:iagree: My thoughts exactly!
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

That's what I was thinking; thus, my snarky post.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Will STILL cost a business owner thousands of dollars.......... to satisfy the 4% of the state's population that is licensed to carry a firearm.....of whom only a percentage actually carry their firearms?

One of my personal beliefs is don't accommodate what you don't want. I don't want to be unarmed, so I don't want to set up mechanisms to disarm me in a hospitable way. A business with 30.06 signs may well support candidates who want to take away my guns. I don't want to go, even if there is a nice gun locker waiting for me.

I agree about 30.07. To me, 30.07 without 30.06 telegraphs an acceptance of guns, even if not on everyone's terms.

The safest place for a gun is in its owner's holster. For personal safety, a roomful of law abiding, armed strangers is just fine. There's always bound to be a new friend or two in the bunch.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”