Why aren't more poor folks pro-2A?

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

chasfm11
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why aren't more poor folks pro-2A?

Post by chasfm11 »

crazy2medic wrote:I think personal responsibility come into play also, getting an education and getting a job and taking care of yourself and your family requires personal responsibility, owning and especially carrying a gun requires personal responsibility. For some the belief that it's the government's job to feed and protect them frees them of the burden of personal responsibility!
I think that it goes beyond that for some. I was in a lengthy Facebook discussion which started when a former work colleague of mine lamented how kids in school were not taught critical thinking and knowledge of government. Knowing her strong Liberal bias, I was surprised, thought she might be seeing some light and "liked" her post. After a couple of exchanges, it was clear that she is still steeped in TDS (Trump derangement syndrome) and that her idea of "critical thinking" was convincing voters that she and her Social Justice Warriors knew more about how things should be run and that all of the people who didn't vote for Clinton had just not be taught in school how to discern the right people to listen to. The idea that someone would actually want to make a voting decision for themselves never crossed her mind. She is strongly opposed to individuals with firearms for the same reason - they cannot make critical decisions about when to use them for themselves. No one should believe that the idea of "deplorables" belonged solely to Hillary Clinton. The amazing part is that I worked with this woman for 5 years, we traveled together on business a lot and I never saw this side of her before. Following her Facebook posts and watching the responses that she gets from her FB friends, I know that she is not alone in believing that people cannot be allowed personal responsibility because they just screw it up.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 2

Post by crazy2medic »

MeMelYup wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:I've often wondered the same thing about the world's Jewry. After the atrocities of the Holocaust and the ongoing mission of others to eliminate them, I'd think they would all be in a "never again" mode and armed to the teeth.
Some are, some are not. It seems that the more distance from an atrocious act, the less some of the people think they have to protect themselves from it.
And the age old belief of "It can't happen here" as history has proven over and over, Government like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Liberty wrote:I think a lot of it is urban vs rural rather than haves and have nots. I grew up pretty poor, but we lived in the boonies in a rural area. Fishing gardens and a little small game were methods of feeding ourselves. A local turkey farmer would pay us a little bit for killing rats, foxes and feral dogs (stalking or attacking his turkeys. We learned at a pretty young age that guns were a tool. We knew neighbors, good people that had guns they hunted and protected their livestock. Bad guys with guns were only in the movies or TV.

City kids get taught that guns are for gangs members and bad guys. That guns are to be avoided.

:iagree:
Of the people I know who are the most anti gun, all of them grew up in a city. They had no need of a gun in the house to shoot snakes, coyotes, and varmints. Even if they did have a varmint in the yard, there was probably a city ordinance that prevented the use of firearms inside the city limits. No one I know who grew up in the country has any problems with firearms. Not even the ladies who chose not to shoot for fun. They still want their husbands to have them in the house for protection. Many people who have only lived in town have never even held a pistol. The unknown adds a fear factor that tends to push them in the anti gun direction.

That being said, if you are poor (and I have been dirt poor) you don't have any extra Franklin's laying around to spend on guns and ammo.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Deitz83

Post by Deitz83 »

Liberty wrote:I think a lot of it is urban vs rural rather than haves and have nots. I grew up pretty poor, but we lived in the boonies in a rural area. Fishing gardens and a little small game were methods of feeding ourselves. A local turkey farmer would pay us a little bit for killing rats, foxes and feral dogs (stalking or attacking his turkeys. We learned at a pretty young age that guns were a tool. We knew neighbors, good people that had guns they hunted and protected their livestock. Bad guys with guns were only in the movies or TV.

City kids get taught that guns are for gangs members and bad guys. That guns are to be avoided.
:iagree: Many people of color shoot all of the time in the country.

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”