Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban in NJ

This forum is for general legislative discussions not specific to any given legislative session. It will remain open.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
thehemi
Posts in topic: 2

Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban in NJ

Post by thehemi »

I apologize if this is the wrong section. I wasn't sure if this was a Texas specific section?

Lame Duck Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban: New Jerseyans Have 90 Days to Surrender Them
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/lame-d ... nder-them/
Just before leaving office Tuesday for good, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill (S3477/A5200) banning bump stocks.

Effective immediately, it is now illegal to sell or possess the popular rifle accessory. The ban also extends to trigger cranks.

Violators of the new law face stiff penalties, including three-to-five years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

There is no grandfather clause for current bump stock owners. Those who own the devices will have 90 days, until April 15, to turn them over to law enforcement. Retailers who sell bump stocks have 30 days.
No grandfather clause and, I assume, no compensation upon turn-in? :grumble

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban in NJ

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thehemi wrote:I apologize if this is the wrong section. I wasn't sure if this was a Texas specific section?

Lame Duck Christie Signs Bump Stock Ban: New Jerseyans Have 90 Days to Surrender Them
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/lame-d ... nder-them/
Just before leaving office Tuesday for good, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie signed a bill (S3477/A5200) banning bump stocks.

Effective immediately, it is now illegal to sell or possess the popular rifle accessory. The ban also extends to trigger cranks.

Violators of the new law face stiff penalties, including three-to-five years in prison and a fine of up to $15,000.

There is no grandfather clause for current bump stock owners. Those who own the devices will have 90 days, until April 15, to turn them over to law enforcement. Retailers who sell bump stocks have 30 days.
No grandfather clause and, I assume, no compensation upon turn-in? :grumble
Officer: “Where’s your bump stock? Why didn’t you turn it in? We have your purchasing records, you know.”

Gun owner: “Neither under the previous law, nor under the existing law, was it ever, or is it now required for me to report that mine fell overboard while fishing in Delaware Bay. I sure wish I had it back. It was a nifty little device - perfect for militia use, and as a means of tempering and controlling the arrogance of officialdom. But it’s too late now. Sigh.......”
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
thehemi

Post by thehemi »

Massachusetts officals order bump stock turn-in under threat of prosecution
http://www.guns.com/2018/01/17/massachu ... osecution/
Officials with the Commonwealth reached out to Massachusetts gun owners to caution them the clock is ticking to hand over any bump stocks or trigger cranks.

Under the new state law passed as part of a spending bill, those found guilty of possession of such devices could face anywhere from 18 months to life in prison and there is no provision to grandfather the accessories.
Looks like MA is doing the same thing, too. Lots of bump stock hatred.

BBYC

Post by BBYC »

The GOP will save us.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

BBYC wrote:The GOP will save us.
"rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

...but, but they have to do sumpin, cuz the idjits have to be dealt with (you and I) and ah, this 'sounds like a step in the right (left) direction.

P.S. Anyone have the scoop on why the Jackie Gleason clone was summarily dumped by Trump?

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

The law defines a "bump stock" as "a device that is designed to attach to a semi-automatic firearm in order to fire shots in rapid succession in a manner that simulates an automatic firearm."

So does this mean that I can possess my right thumb, belt loops, dowels, and rubber bands in NJ since they arguably were not "designed" for the purpose of simulating an automatic firearm, even though these evil devices are just as effective as true "bump stocks" when used for this purpose?

loktite

Post by loktite »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:The law defines a "bump stock" as "a device that is designed to attach to a semi-automatic firearm in order to fire shots in rapid succession in a manner that simulates an automatic firearm."

So does this mean that I can possess my right thumb, belt loops, dowels, and rubber bands in NJ since they arguably were not "designed" for the purpose of simulating an automatic firearm, even though these evil devices are just as effective as true "bump stocks" when used for this purpose?
Don't forget arm slings! TIme to RAID the hospitals!
NRA Endowment Member

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

loktite wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:The law defines a "bump stock" as "a device that is designed to attach to a semi-automatic firearm in order to fire shots in rapid succession in a manner that simulates an automatic firearm."

Don't forget arm slings! TIme to RAID the hospitals!
I guess the next logical step would be for the makers of Bump stocks to make them in such a way that they are not "designed to be attached" to a semi-auto rifle. Maybe leave out a connector that the buyer needs to get someplace else, like a hardware store. By my read of this bill, that would make the devices legal even after they were later attached to an AR or the equivalent.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

BBYC wrote:The GOP will save us.
You will hear from my attorney for copyright infringement.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I forget the legal term, but isn't there some protection for laws that try to backdate something as illegal? IE banning something going forward is fine, even if it is silly/stupid. But making it illegal for having had purchased it while it was legal to own?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I still wonder why this terd is still being voted in?

He's presumably a repub, (not) but I still wonder why he was kicked off the Trump team?

Anyone, anyone know or can speculate even?

Why is he still in power?

apostate

Post by apostate »

Pariah3j wrote:I forget the legal term, but isn't there some protection for laws that try to backdate something as illegal? IE banning something going forward is fine, even if it is silly/stupid. But making it illegal for having had purchased it while it was legal to own?
ex post facto

That clause in the Constitution prohibits them passing a law today than bans possession of a bump stock in 2017. However, it doesn't prohibit them passing a law today that bans bump stocks possession tomorrow, regardless of when you bought it.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

This adds to the list of citizens of States in the Northeast who have made criminals out of their citizens over firearms. NY and CT both banned "assault" rifles and the citizens have not complied with either of those laws. I predict that won't be the last. I don't expect that NJ LE will be any more aggressive in ferreting out offenders of the bump stock owners, assuming that there actually are any. NJ's gun laws were already Draconian and people like me who don't want to live under them (we did for three years) have already moved out.

Chicago has had a parade of corrupt politicians. NJ is easily its rival, though fewer of them seem to have been caught and punished,
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Return to “General Legislative Discussions”