How to talk to Anti's

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flowrie
Posts in topic: 1

How to talk to Anti's

Post by flowrie »

Link to a good article, The JPFO site emailed the link to me.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... un-owners/
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 2

Re: How to talk to Anti's

Post by AJSully421 »

Good ideas. You can't talk to liberals like you would to human beings...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

I'm kind of partial to, "Shut up and go away!"

It'll keep your blood pressure down. :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Talking them in circles is fun:

Me: "You only hate ARs because they are black."

Them: "No, I hate them because they kill lots of people."

Me: Oh, so you're saying that black people all are killers?"

Them: "No.... That's.... That's not what I said..."
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

shooter37

Post by shooter37 »

Now why would I want to talk to one?

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

When someone says to me, "nobody needs and AR15!", I have been itching to use the "nobody needs a condescending jerk mouthing at them, yet here you are!" response but...lol. Every person that used the first phrase on me have been friends I know who are actually very good people but they have all been listening to all the blithering idiots who have no knowledge of guns whatsoever. So I end up having to be nice and courteous...SMH.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

RogueUSMC wrote:When someone says to me, "nobody needs and AR15!", I have been itching to use the "nobody needs a condescending jerk mouthing at them, yet here you are!" response but...lol. Every person that used the first phrase on me have been friends I know who are actually very good people but they have all been listening to all the blithering idiots who have no knowledge of guns whatsoever. So I end up having to be nice and courteous...SMH.
My mother tried that line. My response was somewhere along the line of because I can or I want to and thats the only reason I need.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Sign language works best, only need 1 finger to get the message across :biggrinjester:
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

this is a good article, thanks for sharing. :rules:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

Best not to talk to them, no amount of reason or logic will prevail.

NiMexicatl

Post by NiMexicatl »

I actually tend to lean towards the liberal side of the spectrum as do a lot of my shooting buddies. I find thay a lot of anti gun people can be more easily convinced and reasoned with when they share some common ground.

Of course there are those regressive liberals who are just too dug in to save, but that goes for just about anything. :banghead:

All I can say is it can be done and just keep at it. Every person counts and it's important to try to inform as much as you can.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

NiMexicatl wrote:I actually tend to lean towards the liberal side of the spectrum as do a lot of my shooting buddies. I find thay a lot of anti gun people can be more easily convinced and reasoned with when they share some common ground.

Of course there are those regressive liberals who are just too dug in to save, but that goes for just about anything. :banghead:

All I can say is it can be done and just keep at it. Every person counts and it's important to try to inform as much as you can.
I try to convince and reason with liberals by sharing facts with them. Kind of like I did in the other thread. The list of Clinton scandals is enough for a reasonable person decide to not vote for Hillary.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

It is very difficult for me to talk to liberals in general, and anti-gun folks in particular. The problem is that logic comes naturally to me, and emotion does not. So I need to translate emotional statements into logical statements to process what they are saying, and I then need to translate my logical response into an emotional argument so they can understand it. This is very exhausting.

My latest interaction was with my brother in law, who told me that carrying guns was pointless since there were people open carrying in Dallas and they just "ran and hid" instead of shooting the guy with a rifle, who was targeting officers from an elevated position. The problem is that I can't translate this into logic, so I can't even start to formulate a good response.

BTW, the closest logical translation I could come up with is "having a gun should make you into a super-human capable of defeating all attackers, or you shouldn't carry at all", which is of course illogical. In other words, I couldn't even translate his statement into anything I understand.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:It is very difficult for me to talk to liberals in general, and anti-gun folks in particular. The problem is that logic comes naturally to me, and emotion does not. So I need to translate emotional statements into logical statements to process what they are saying, and I then need to translate my logical response into an emotional argument so they can understand it. This is very exhausting.

My latest interaction was with my brother in law, who told me that carrying guns was pointless since there were people open carrying in Dallas and they just "ran and hid" instead of shooting the guy with a rifle, who was targeting officers from an elevated position. The problem is that I can't translate this into logic, so I can't even start to formulate a good response.

BTW, the closest logical translation I could come up with is "having a gun should make you into a super-human capable of defeating all attackers, or you shouldn't carry at all", which is of course illogical. In other words, I couldn't even translate his statement into anything I understand.

You might tell you BIL, that every police officer is trained, that when he/she is being fired upon, the first thing you do is "seek cover" it doesn't matter how well armed they may be. Anyone that would stand in the line of fire is not too bright. Secondly, shooting at someone who is in an elevated position, means that you can't be sure of what may be behind the target. They only do that in the movies. Lastly, no one forces anyone to carry, if your BIL chooses not to do so, that is his prerogative, just as it is yours to do so. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:It is very difficult for me to talk to liberals in general, and anti-gun folks in particular. The problem is that logic comes naturally to me, and emotion does not. So I need to translate emotional statements into logical statements to process what they are saying, and I then need to translate my logical response into an emotional argument so they can understand it. This is very exhausting.

You might tell you BIL, that every police officer is trained, that when he/she is being fired upon, the first thing you do is "seek cover" it doesn't matter how well armed they may be. Anyone that would stand in the line of fire is not too bright. Secondly, shooting at someone who is in an elevated position, means that you can't be sure of what may be behind the target. They only do that in the movies. Lastly, no one forces anyone to carry, if your BIL chooses not to do so, that is his prerogative, just as it is yours to do so. JMHO
Yes. That all makes complete sense to me. But may not make a lot of sense to those among us who can not understand logic.

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”