Here's How Many Jewelers Keep a Gun in Their Store

There is seemingly no end to the extent to which anti-gun people and groups will lie about guns and gun owners. Post links to articles by these masters of prevarication here.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Here's How Many Jewelers Keep a Gun in Their Store

Post by Vol Texan »

My wife shared me this story from InStore Magazine, an publication for the retail jewelry industry.

http://instoremag.com/news/487-know-it- ... heir-store

This was all being shared and talked about on a private Facebook group for jewelers. According to my wife, the jeweler's comments condemning this article were (virtually) unanimous.

Items of interest in this article:

One of the more surprising finds in our recent Big Survey was the rise in gun ownership by jewelry-store owners in the last 10 years.
In 2007, when we conducted our first such survey, one in three jewelers kept a firearm in the store. This year, the rate had risen to 50 percent. Jewelers in the South were the most likely to be armed, with the ownership rate there topping 65 percent. Leaving aside our Canadian cousins (zero ownership), the jewelers least likely to be armed were in the Northeast (39 percent).
Imagine that - the South has a bit of an independent streak. According to my wife, the majority of the jewelers in her jewelers-only Facebook group are concealed carriers who carry all the time in their own stores. Those that don't often work for the bigger corporate chains (e.g. Jared).
John Kennedy, president of the Jewelers’ Security Alliance, viewed the rise in gun ownership with concern, noting that since 1996 there have been 118 jewelers killed during robberies, and almost every one of them tried to pull a gun or resist in some way.

“It almost never happens that a jeweler who doesn’t resist suffers a fatal injury, while jewelers who resist with a gun or by other means almost always lose the struggle,” he said.
Nice play with the statistics there...lumping in all those who resisted WITHOUT a gun along those who resisted WITH a gun, and concluding that resisting with a gun is a losing proposition.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Ameer

Re: Here's How Many Jewelers Keep a Gun in Their Store

Post by Ameer »

:iagree: What should we conclude if the vast majority of police killed in the line of duty were armed?
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Lance was doing this years ago and was the best I've heard of thus far:

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

How many drew a gun and survived?

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Vol Texan wrote:My wife shared me this story from InStore Magazine, an publication for the retail jewelry industry.

http://instoremag.com/news/487-know-it- ... heir-store

This was all being shared and talked about on a private Facebook group for jewelers. According to my wife, the jeweler's comments condemning this article were (virtually) unanimous.

Items of interest in this article:

One of the more surprising finds in our recent Big Survey was the rise in gun ownership by jewelry-store owners in the last 10 years.
In 2007, when we conducted our first such survey, one in three jewelers kept a firearm in the store. This year, the rate had risen to 50 percent. Jewelers in the South were the most likely to be armed, with the ownership rate there topping 65 percent. Leaving aside our Canadian cousins (zero ownership), the jewelers least likely to be armed were in the Northeast (39 percent).
Imagine that - the South has a bit of an independent streak. According to my wife, the majority of the jewelers in her jewelers-only Facebook group are concealed carriers who carry all the time in their own stores. Those that don't often work for the bigger corporate chains (e.g. Jared).
John Kennedy, president of the Jewelers’ Security Alliance, viewed the rise in gun ownership with concern, noting that since 1996 there have been 118 jewelers killed during robberies, and almost every one of them tried to pull a gun or resist in some way.

“It almost never happens that a jeweler who doesn’t resist suffers a fatal injury, while jewelers who resist with a gun or by other means almost always lose the struggle,” he said.
Nice play with the statistics there...lumping in all those who resisted WITHOUT a gun along those who resisted WITH a gun, and concluding that resisting with a gun is a losing proposition.
I still have a book from a Statistics Course in College that literally describes (and the title is) "How to lie with statistics" Showing how to skew stats in whatever way you want to lean; to convince people without "close reading" or critical thinking skills. The ANTI-Gun Lobby groups SOROS funds, such as Everytown, MomsDemand etc etc do this a lot.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

All gun grabber lies aside, I would not work, in any location, that is susceptible, to being robbed, i.e. jewelry store, bank, convenience store, fast food restaurant, etc., if I could not carry to protect myself. There is still this ridiculous mentality, that if you just give the bad guys what they want, you will be OK. That has been dis-proven, time and time again, and seriously goes against the basic tenets, of what freedom loving Americans believe in. People like to think, that since there is insurance available to cover monetary losses, then it's a no-lose situation. Unfortunately, there is a human element, not considered. Not only the potential loss of life, to those who don't value it, but the emotional ramifications, of those who do survive, and still have to go back to work.

For too long, we have given in to to those who want to take what others work for, whether it is property, or money. The only way, we can stem the tide, is by standing up, and refusing to become a victim.

I will give someone the shirt off my back, or buy them a meal, if they are hungry, but, I will not stand for someone walking in, threatening, me or mine, and taking what I have worked to achieve, without a fight. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

DEB

Post by DEB »

Jusme wrote:All gun grabber lies aside, I would not work, in any location, that is susceptible, to being robbed, i.e. jewelry store, bank, convenience store, fast food restaurant, etc., if I could not carry to protect myself. There is still this ridiculous mentality, that if you just give the bad guys what they want, you will be OK. That has been dis-proven, time and time again, and seriously goes against the basic tenets, of what freedom loving Americans believe in. People like to think, that since there is insurance available to cover monetary losses, then it's a no-lose situation. Unfortunately, there is a human element, not considered. Not only the potential loss of life, to those who don't value it, but the emotional ramifications, of those who do survive, and still have to go back to work.

For too long, we have given in to to those who want to take what others work for, whether it is property, or money. The only way, we can stem the tide, is by standing up, and refusing to become a victim.

I will give someone the shirt off my back, or buy them a meal, if they are hungry, but, I will not stand for someone walking in, threatening, me or mine, and taking what I have worked to achieve, without a fight. JMHO
:iagree: :iagree: :tiphat:
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt"
DEB=Daniel E Bertram
U.S. Army Retired, (Sapper). VFW Life Member.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Q: How many jewelers keep a gun in their store?
A: Not as many as there should be.

I feel confident in saying the average criminal isn't particularly brave and will choose a safe target over a potentially dangerous one.
If every jewelry store employee carried a self defense handgun at work, how much would robberies of jewelry stores decrease?
If every business allowed and encouraged their employees to obtain necessary training (and government permission) in the carrying and use of self defense weapons while on the job, how much would robberies of those businesses decrease?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Unfortunately, the jeweler almost always loses, or causes an innocent person to be shot or hurt, either an employee, customer, passer-by or police responder
There is no way that real life incidents can back up this claim. The author makes it sound like the jewelers are shooting randomly when the firefight starts. And I suppose they are blaming the jeweler for every innocent that the robbers shoot?
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Lynyrd wrote:
Unfortunately, the jeweler almost always loses, or causes an innocent person to be shot or hurt, either an employee, customer, passer-by or police responder
There is no way that real life incidents can back up this claim. The author makes it sound like the jewelers are shooting randomly when the firefight starts. And I suppose they are blaming the jeweler for every innocent that the robbers shoot?

Of course they are. How else can you push forward an agenda, without assessing blame, on anyone besides the true perpetrators? This is just another example of those wanting to turn everyone into sheep, while refusing to blame the wolf for killing them, and instead blaming the farmer for tempting the wolf in the first place.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Jusme wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:

Of course they are. How else can you push forward an agenda, without assessing blame, on anyone besides the true perpetrators? This is just another example of those wanting to turn everyone into sheep, while refusing to blame the wolf for killing them, and instead blaming the farmer for tempting the wolf in the first place.
Well, as an old farm boy, where to place the needed fix is pretty clear to me.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “Anti-gun propaganda and other lies!”