My Instruction was Defeated by Sight Picture

Personal practice/training stories, tips and questions. This is not a place for advertising courses or classes.

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Acronym Esq
Posts in topic: 1

My Instruction was Defeated by Sight Picture

Post by Acronym Esq »

On my way out of the range yesterday, I took 10 minutes to help a girl in her early 20's with her rented VP9. Her target was evenly covered with holes all over it. She was new, trying, and struggling.

I helped her build a firing grip and instructed her on sight picture, sight alignment, trigger pull, and dry fire. Didn't seem to matter - I couldn't stop her anticipatory flinching. Even at 3 yards, all her shots were loosely grouped about 4 inches below the target.

When I got home, I realized she wasn't flinching. I gave her the wrong instructions on the VP9 sight picture. My Glocks have a "6 O'clock hold" where the bullet hole goes a little higher than the front sight. I think that VP9 was probably sighted for a "Combat Hold" with the bullet hole under the front sight dot.

Just thought I would share, so that others may learn from my failure.

acronym 11/25/2020 11:05 AM

Tex1961

Re: My Instruction was Defeated by Sight Picture

Post by Tex1961 »

Thanks for sharing that information... My Ruger GP-100 is the same... Bullseye every time with a 6 o'clock hold.... And sure enough.. I let someone else shoot it. they are hitting high until I remember to let them know...

Side note as well... New, small and mostly lady shooters.. Complaining that their semi auto keeps jamming up... First make sure and work with their grip.. A large percentage of the time they are simply limp wristing.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

That’s crazy. When I shoot my glocks I put the front sight where I want it and that’s where the bullet goes. I don’t use a 6 o’clock hold. Maybe it’s because my sights are after market?

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I have two XD9SC. One prefers the 6:00 hold while the other prefers the combat hold. I swap them out for carry. I figure at self-defense ranges it's not going to make a lot of difference.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Return to “Training & Practice”