Right on Green Arrow?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
ghentry
Posts in topic: 7

Right on Green Arrow?

Post by ghentry »

My wife just got home and was given a ticket by HPD's finest(?). She was on a road with two or three lanes. Lane 1 (furthest to the right) was a right turn only lane. She was in lane 2 (middle?) which was marked for straight or righ turn. There was a sign that said something to the effect of "right turn on red right lane only". The light changed to a green arrow pointing right and cars in lane 1 started going. A guy behind her honked and she proceded through the light and was ticketed. The officer told her the arrow was for lane 1 only?

If both lanes are marked as right turn and you have a green arrow, how can she be ticketed?

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

Better yet, when CAN you go?

I would fight it - though more expensive, as a matter of prinicpal. And I would take high res photos (not digital - might not be admitted as evidence) of the goofy wording on the sign.

If a jury could decide that a reasonable person would be confused as crap with that silly sign, then you might get off nicely.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
ghentry

Post by ghentry »

I will be going down there this weekend and getting a picture. I want to make sure that it is as she says it is and get pictures to fight it. I always use my digital camera, but I'll take along the film one too. I didn't think about that.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Call David Sprecker (Sp?). He's a wizard with traffic tickets and I refer al of my clients to him. His office in on Montrose in Houston, but I don't have his number here at home.

Regards,
Chas.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The lanes at the intersection of Bay Area Blvd, and I-45 on the east side of the overpass...

Have changed a few times over the years...

It used to be a situation where you could only turn right on the green, not the red light if you were even in the far right lane...

Now that traffic volumn has increased, you have the option of still turning right only on the green, but in the next lane to the right as well...But that lane has the option of turning right or going straight...

Doesn't seem to be much of a problem except the light to turn right works separately from the light to go straight...

So the folks in the middle lane who want to turn right, have to wait for that light, and face the wrath of the folks wanting to go straight...

So its all very confusing, so I try to avoid it all together... :lol:

Sorry to hear about you having to contribute to the common revenue fund though...I have to take care of mine by the 23rd of next month...They sure are letting you take your time on these citations these days...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

tomneal

It may be this lawyer

Post by tomneal »

I found this lawyer doing an internet search. It may be the one Charles mentioned.

David S Sprecher & Associates
2205 Montrose Blvd - Houston, TX

713-639-2600
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Topic author
ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Thank you all for the info. I'm going to check it out Saturday and if it appears that she did no wrong, I'll give him a call.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

There are some intersections out there that have truly idiotic signage. There are at least one or two westbound exits from I-30 in Texarkana where the graphic sign shows both lanes turning left, and the right lane can also go straight. Huh? You mean I can't turn right (per signage), even though I've got a right turn green arrow?

Even better are those intersections where the signage, signals, and road surface symbols don't match. :roll:

Good luck with your fight. I'd fight it, too.

Kevin

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

ghentry wrote:I always use my digital camera, but I'll take along the film one too. I didn't think about that.
My mom is a paralegal and mentioned this to me one time and it had stuck. She said rarely will judges admit digital photos since they can be easily altered (this is absolutely rediculous exclusion....film can be altered just as easily).

Keep us posted! You may try just showing up on your court date and plead not guilty. If the cop doesn't show, you may be off scott free. I have a good friend that has seen this work with MIP tix.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
ghentry

Update: Pictures

Post by ghentry »

We went to the intersection today and it was just as she had said. Shown below are the signs and lane markings, along with a copy of part of the ticket where you can see that he said the green arrow was lit.

SteyrM40

Post by SteyrM40 »

Wow. I work right around the corner from there and use that intersection all the time. I know that cops are always waiting to the right of that light for speeders and people violating the right-on-red from the outside lane law.

Needless to say, I am always very careful around there. I have, however, turned right -- just as your wife did -- on that very same light many times. I guess I should be more careful and not do that.

Given the amount of tickets they issue there, I would suspect that they have built themselves a pretty strong case for giving that same ticket over and over again. I suggest you contact David Sprecher. He has gotten me off of more than a dozen tickets in Houston. He will only handle tickets from Harris county, and if you're an attorney, he handle your case for free.

Good luck! Stay safe...

SteyrM40

rgoldy

Post by rgoldy »

In my naivete, I had assumed that just because a right turn on red from the extreme right lane is permitted almost everywhere (except as prohibited) in the state, it did not follow that it was permissible for two right lanes to turn on red even if the signals allowed two rights on a green light.
Can someone please identify for me some intersection in Houston area that does permit two right turn lanes on red light?
I see the two rights done sometimes. Even to the point that when I am in the right hand lane I am very careful to stay in the right lane around the corner, since I never know when someone will decide to go with me.
I had no idea that it was permitted in some places. How would the sign look to indicate that two lanes were permitted to turn?
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.
JOIN NRA[/i] JOIN TSRA

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

SteyrM40 wrote:.... He has gotten me off of more than a dozen tickets in Houston....

SteyrM40

Hmmmmmm, anyway...... :shock:

it's a red light w/ green arrow, which -I may be a little rusty, but if I remember correctly, means right on red (after a full stop)?

With the signage shown: right on red from right lane only...

Let us know how good Mr. Sprecher is. ;-)
"An armed society is a polite society"

Topic author
ghentry

Post by ghentry »

CaptDave wrote:
it's a red light w/ green arrow, which -I may be a little rusty, but if I remember correctly, means right on red (after a full stop)?

With the signage shown: right on red from right lane only...
If this is the case, then what does the green arrow mean?

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Well, it's just my own observation here - as I am neither a LEO, attorney or judge... Hmm, "Judge Capt Dave", does have a nice ring to it...but I digress...

to continue:

IMHO: the fact that your own photo shows a green light in the right lane - which coincides with the signage "right on red from right lane only" and the same photo shows there is no green arrow in the middle lane that your wife took a right turn on red from, it looks like it means "right on red from right lane only".

Hopefully-for your situation- I am incorrect in my opinion and the judge will see it differently.
Good Luck.
"An armed society is a polite society"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”