Run in with the League City Police at Alex Rodrigez Mercedes

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KinnyLee
Posts in topic: 9

Post by KinnyLee »

ea40ss wrote:As far as unloading the mag, :???: IF they were that concerned they should have searched for other mags or weapons. It could just be their policy.

Grabbing a fresh mag, inserting it, dropping the slide, safety and re-holster? :lol: :shock: I love it. I wouldn't want to be the one to try it though.

Just curious, were there other folks walking around the lot or just y'all? I wonder if everyone that entered the lot after hours that night got the same treatment?

Just a few thoughts,
Eric
It was just me and my two friends. My friend drives a 2001 BMW 325ci and I rode with my other friend who drives a 2000 Honda Prelude. The friend with the Prelude was looking at the BMWs and decided to hopped over next door to Alex Rodriguez. I don't believe we were dressed thuggishly either. As if they couldn't tell I'm armed already with a Bushmasters cap and a black 511 tactical vest. lol. But they did not searched anyone for extra weapon which I tend to carry a BUG in some instances. Haha.

I know they gave me this :shock: when they saw me slingshotting my slide back, engaged my safety, and insert my empty mag before I reholstered. Have no clue why, but these guys were a bit on the edge that night. lol.

As for other people getting the same treatment, I have no clue. I guess we appeared like thugs to them.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

anygunanywhere wrote:
TraCoun wrote: but think of all the crazies who might just be playing along to get the LEO to relax. If the LEO hands back the mags loaded, it only takes the BG a very short time to load and open fire. Having to re-stuff the magazines makes it a lot slower and gives the LEO more time to respond. I'm not an LEO, don't claim any have said this, but that's the thought I've had.
Thanx,
TraCoun
You have a point, but they already know we hold CHL's and are much less likely to be one of the "crazies". If an officer hands me back my emptied mag and a handful of shells, I will address the situation further up the food chain. Handling firearms in such a manner is dangerous, and all officer who exhibit this behavior are not experts on all handguns.
Exactly...This whole incident is a very uncommon occurance...

And the way it was handled makes me wonder if LCPD has changed procedures regarding the "handling" of Texas CHL holders in general...

I'm only being a little sarcastic, but I am sure not going to change the way I conduct myself, which is well documented...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Baytown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Baytown »

I know I am a little late on this, but my head is about to explode. txinvestigator has already pointed out that p.c. is not required for the detention. Yes, he was lawfully detained as the law allows people to be detained in suspicious places and times.

The officers had a person lawfully deatained that may have been a burglar and may have had warrants. (newsflash, because someone has a chl does not mean they do not have warrants) Though, I would not unload the magazine, I think waaaaay to much is being made out of a situation that was handled well by the officers.

Most car dealerships have one of thos white pipe fences that goes around it. Because you can step over it does not mean you are welcome there when the business is closed.

The mag may have been unloaded becasue it would take time for it to be reloaded, thus giving the officers a chance to leave the area. Again, I would not have done it, but I certainly would not say an officer was wrong for doing so.

People need to put themselves in an officer's situation. I do not see how unloading a gun is a dangerous act, I have unloaded my guns maybe once or twice and have never had it go off. (sarcasm intended).

KinnyLee you handled it well. If someone does not want to be lawfully detained by LE, and disarmed in the manner seen fit by the officer, don't go onto someone else's property at night with your gun on.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I should say, that I would not agree with an officer unloading a gun on a regular traffic stop, but this situation is quite different.

Glenn
Winners never quit, and quitters never win; but, if you never win, and never quit, you're a moron.

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 6

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I agree with you...

I think it was blown out of proportion...But I based my concerns on what had been stated...

I certainly don't need to expose myself to scrutiny (from L.E.) like this if I make a poor decision to shop for vehicles in a lot thats closed...

I prefer to do my shopping when the place is open, and the vultures (salesperson) can swoop down on you at that time...Such a more enjoyable experience... :roll: :lol:

So yes...I don't open myself to any detainment, disarmament, unloading, etc etc, by going to a business thats closed...

Just makes my life less stressful that way... :lol:

Glad you commented on this one Glenn...I totally agree with you...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

Baytown

1. Thanks for the input from your perspective, it helps.

2. WHERE YOU BEEN? We were thinking maybe you moved somewhere or something, haven't heard from you in ages (or seen you for that matter) ..... welcome back!

TraCoun

Baytown

Post by Baytown »

I should probably make a new post, but...

I have been away for a while as the credit union I work at on Thurs, took away our internet access. That is when I had enoght time to read and post.

I have a little extra time now and thought I would jump back on here.

Glenn

Rich
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rich »

Perhaps the fact that it was after hours 11:30 p.m. answers a number of questions. I’m not real clear on why the magazine was emptied, but it is best to hand over an unloaded firearm. Would have been interested to hear the officer’s response if you had asked “Is it O.K. to re-load my firearm.� Thanks for the lessons learned…I will make sure to automatically hand over my CHL.

Boma

Post by Boma »

Kinny I wouldn't have been upset either if they asked for my ID etc. They were acting polite thats all that counts since they didn't give you a ticket.

I don't blame the cop either for emptying your gun. They don't know if your CHL is fake or real. It could be a new scam by the crooks to carry a fake CHL. You never know.

Pus I don't see anything wrong with them checking your id since you were on the dealer lot. If they can't check your ID then how can they distinguish you from the bad guy? By your word?

cxm

A Pile

Post by cxm »

I have no problem with an officer disarming if they feel afraid of an old guy like me.

That said, I would file a complaint if the officer unloaded my mags and gun and handed me the pile of ammo and gun... that is just plain rude.

My spin anyway.

FWIW

Chuck
TraCoun wrote:On the issue of LEO's unloading your magazines and handing them and the ammo back in one big pile ... yes, a PITA, :sad: but think of all the crazies who might just be playing along to get the LEO to relax. If the LEO hands back the mags loaded, it only takes the BG a very short time to load and open fire. Having to re-stuff the magazines makes it a lot slower and gives the LEO more time to respond. I'm not an LEO, don't claim any have said this, but that's the thought I've had.
Thanx,
TraCoun
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

tomneal

Car Dealerships

Post by tomneal »

Most car dealerships have one of thos white pipe fences that goes around it. Because you can step over it does not mean you are welcome there when the business is closed.
I have seen those low white pipe fences for maybe 30 years. I always have viewed them as a way for the car dealership to "keep the new cars in the lot" while letting customers view them durring the off hours.

I'd be interested, if anyone that works or has worked at a car dealership has ever heard complaints or concerns from the management about potential customers looking at the cars after hours.

I am pretty sure I rember reading articles (in the 70's and 80's) explaining how to get the best price on a new car by visiting the parking lot after hours.

Your milage will vary
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”