Someone's About to Have a Bad Night

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Someone's About to Have a Bad Night

Post by Keith B »

For all you dog lovers out there.

Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Someone's About to Have a Bad Night

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:For all you dog lovers out there.
Are you talking about the LEO or a BG?

Honest Sarge, my K-9 ate my ticket book and rabbited.

Wow! A stray German Shephard, I'll bet I could get $100 on Craig's List! :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

Nice!

And Bill, you'd get a LOT more than 100 for a trained GSD! But,.....maybe not on Craigslist! :biggrinjester:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

AEA wrote:Nice!

And Bill, you'd get a LOT more than 100 for a trained GSD! But,.....maybe not on Craigslist! :biggrinjester:
Usually BGs aren't very bright. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

steve817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steve817 »

WildBill wrote:
Keith B wrote:.

Wow! A stray German Shephard, I'll bet I could get $100 on Craig's List! :mrgreen:

Actually I think it is a Belgian Malinois. He looks similar to the one they was showing us at the Citizens Police Academy a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how friendly he was. According to the officer it is a different story when he "switches him on"...I didn't want to call his bluff.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

steve817 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

Actually I think it is a Belgian Malinois. He looks similar to the one they was showing us at the Citizens Police Academy a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed at how friendly he was. According to the officer it is a different story when he "switches him on"...I didn't want to call his bluff.
I will defer to your knowledge about dogs. I don't know much about dog breeds, but all it takes it one word from the handler to "switch him on".
NRA Endowment Member

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johnson0317 »

WildBill wrote: I don't know much about dog breeds, but all it takes it one word from the handler to "switch him on".
Or one finger. I worked in San Jose, at a Level One Trauma/county ER back in '89. Lots of cops in and out. Had a K-9 officer in one night, and he was kind enough to go and get his dog for us to meet. Sweet dog! Then he took the dog's leash and told one of us to raise the one finger salute. The dog went nuts!

Had several patients that the dogs "retrieved". One was retrieved from under a car. The dog clamped onto his thigh and removed him from hiding. Poor dude was missing about half of his thigh and fatty tissue...

...always wondered where that extra thigh meat went to.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Entertaining picture, but totally photochopped.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Jumping Frog wrote:Entertaining picture, but totally photochopped.
Sure it is. Those white letters don't just show up floating in space in real life. Duh! :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

steve817

Post by steve817 »

WildBill wrote:
steve817 wrote:
WildBill wrote:

I will defer to your knowledge about dogs. I don't know much about dog breeds, but all it takes it one word from the handler to "switch him on".
No don't do that! You just learned everything I know about dogs. The Malinois look a lot like Shepherds. According to the officer, the trend is shifting towards the Malinois because the quality of the German Shepherd breed as greatly diminished over the years due to too much crossing of the bloodlines.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

WildBill wrote:.... all it takes it one word from the handler to "switch him on".
There are various methods of training a protection K-9, but I think the police have pretty well settled on the Schutzhund training. The method uses specific commands in German to 'switch' them on and off.

One of the local departments dogs where I used to live was named Greif (pronounced Gr-eye-ff). And while he was usually really focused when on the job, he was still a dog. A couple of stories existed about him dropping back to regular dog mode. One was where they were going through a house searching for drugs, and he stopped to snack on some Cheerios in the floor. Another was when he was turned loose on a suspect that was running out the back of the house. As he exited the house a rabbit ran out from under a bush, and he went from chase the bad guy to chase the bunny mode for a few seconds. His handler quickly got him back on track and he was able take down the bad guy as he tried to scale a fence in the back yard. Overall though, he was pretty solid on his training and had been a BIG benefit to the officer and the department as a whole on numerous occasions.
Keith

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

johnson0317 wrote:...always wondered where that extra thigh meat went to.
Snausages! :mrgreen:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

hi-power wrote:
johnson0317 wrote:...always wondered where that extra thigh meat went to.
Snausages! :mrgreen:
Bacon Bacon Bacon. :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...y'all got it all wrong...the poor pooch just needed a 10-100...real bad!!!

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

steve817 wrote:According to the officer, the trend is shifting towards the Malinois because the quality of the German Shepherd breed as greatly diminished over the years due to too much crossing of the bloodlines.
I seriously doubt that is the case and I am certain there are MANY Professional GSD Breeders that will also disagree with that statement. Now, having said that, there are "other Breeders" (sans: Back Yard) that have no clue what they are doing and degrade the name of the GSD Breed by selling junk dogs as 100% GSD (with no papers) to people that have no idea what a true Purebread GSD is or looks like. Not to mention the various lines of the GSD bread for a specific task such as K9.

In other words.......
There's a BIG DIFFERENCE between a $500.00 "GSD" and a $3500.00 - $5000.00 Purebread GSD for a specific task.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”