LEO's under attack

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 3

Re: LEO's under attack

Post by gringo pistolero »

VMI77 wrote:And as far as being paid enough.....we're supposed to have a "free market," and imperfections granted, if the pay wasn't enough to attract enough qualified people to do the job then pay would have to increase.
We're supposed to have a free market but then the unions get involved and the market is no longer free. We often end up with people who are paid more than the fair market value of their work, but believe they are underpaid because they drank the koolaid. Look at teachers for a good example.

Many people think private schools do a better job educating children than public schools. They vote with their wallet when they pay the tuition. But if you look at salaries, private school teachers often get paid less than public school teachers. And why do public school teachers get paid more? It's the unions.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

handog
Posts in topic: 4

Post by handog »

gringo pistolero wrote:
texanjoker wrote:There is a difference that many seem to forget. The LEO responds to the calls and seeks out the bad guy while the CHL holder carries for self defense.
Thank you for the reminder that the citizens are on the front line. In many cases the LEO responds to the calls after a citizen is attacked or victimized by criminals in some other way. A good reminder for us all. Thanks. :tiphat:

^^ CHLs are the first responders in most cases. Without pay I might add.

PSTL*PAKR
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PSTL*PAKR »

handog wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
texanjoker wrote:There is a difference that many seem to forget. The LEO responds to the calls and seeks out the bad guy while the CHL holder carries for self defense.
Thank you for the reminder that the citizens are on the front line. In many cases the LEO responds to the calls after a citizen is attacked or victimized by criminals in some other way. A good reminder for us all. Thanks. :tiphat:

Trying to be a hero will get you hurt/killed in most cases. Looks like a lot of CHL holders are going around looking for something to get into. WE ARE NOT LEO's and should stay out of places that dont concern us.
Took class 8/11/12 -Applied online/finger prints/mailed 8/15/12-Received in Austin 8/17/12-Background under review 8/31/12-
Background complete/mfg. pending 10/09/12--MFG 10/10/12-MAILED 10/11/12--Received 10/18/12!!!

handog

Post by handog »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:
handog wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:

Trying to be a hero will get you hurt/killed in most cases. Looks like a lot of CHL holders are going around looking for something to get into. WE ARE NOT LEO's and should stay out of places that dont concern us.

Is this from the gun control lobby handbook?

There are nearly two million defensive gun uses annually by law abiding gun owners who chose not to be a victim. They are on the front line. As the old saying goes, when seconds count the police are just minutes away. It's not about being a hero.

"Newsweek has reported that law-abiding American citizens using guns in self-defense shot and killed two and one-half times as many criminals as police did, and with fewer than one-fifth as many incidents as police where an innocent person mistakenly identified as a criminal (2% versus 11%)."

jmra

Post by jmra »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:
handog wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:

Don't know where you are getting your info but you couldn't be more wrong. The proof is in the crime statistics. If your assumption was correct then the crime rate among CHL holders would reflect such. As it is crime committed by CHL holders is a statistical non-event.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:
handog wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:

Who is looking for trouble? The nurse who defends herself from being kidnapped in the parking lot at work, and avoids being subsequently raped? Or maybe it's the pizza delivery driver who defends himself from a robber who called in the false order to lure the victim? These are the people on the front lines in the war on crime.

If you want to "avoid being a hero" and do what criminals demand, that's your choice to make for yourself. But you have no right to force me to be a victim. :nono: Those who deny me the most effective tools to defend myself and the people I love are no better than the violent criminals they enable and abet.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

PSTL*PAKR wrote:
handog wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:

I think Handog is referring to the fact that there are far more CHL holders than LEOs and the probability that a CHL holder is already at the scene of a problem as it is happening, as opposed to a LEO.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

VMI77
Posts in topic: 8

Post by VMI77 »

gringo pistolero wrote:
VMI77 wrote:And as far as being paid enough.....we're supposed to have a "free market," and imperfections granted, if the pay wasn't enough to attract enough qualified people to do the job then pay would have to increase.
We're supposed to have a free market but then the unions get involved and the market is no longer free. We often end up with people who are paid more than the fair market value of their work, but believe they are underpaid because they drank the koolaid. Look at teachers for a good example.

Many people think private schools do a better job educating children than public schools. They vote with their wallet when they pay the tuition. But if you look at salaries, private school teachers often get paid less than public school teachers. And why do public school teachers get paid more? It's the unions.
I agree completely...notice I put "free market" in quotes. My point was simply that the pay isn't a mystery and is known beforehand and qualified people still choose the job. If there were not enough qualified people to do the job then either the pay would have to be increased or the qualifications lowered. It appears that at the current levels of qualification there are sufficient people choosing to do the job, and that suggests that the level of pay must be either too high or about right, and not too low.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Panda

Post by Panda »

VMI77 wrote: I agree completely...notice I put "free market" in quotes. My point was simply that the pay isn't a mystery and is known beforehand and qualified people still choose the job. If there were not enough qualified people to do the job then either the pay would have to be increased or the qualifications lowered. It appears that at the current levels of qualification there are sufficient people choosing to do the job, and that suggests that the level of pay must be either too high or about right, and not too low.
Not just base pay but total compensation. Government pensions are a huge drain on the tax base. Fifty years ago when the taxpayers had pensions from their corporate employers, maybe that was reasonable. However, in the current job market where private sector pensions are rare, its time to eliminate them for public servants too. From dog catcher to senator, they should get no retirement perks except SS and what they save. The same as the people paying their paycheck.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Panda wrote:
VMI77 wrote: I agree completely...notice I put "free market" in quotes. My point was simply that the pay isn't a mystery and is known beforehand and qualified people still choose the job. If there were not enough qualified people to do the job then either the pay would have to be increased or the qualifications lowered. It appears that at the current levels of qualification there are sufficient people choosing to do the job, and that suggests that the level of pay must be either too high or about right, and not too low.
Not just base pay but total compensation. Government pensions are a huge drain on the tax base. Fifty years ago when the taxpayers had pensions from their corporate employers, maybe that was reasonable. However, in the current job market where private sector pensions are rare, its time to eliminate them for public servants too. From dog catcher to senator, they should get no retirement perks except SS and what they save. The same as the people paying their paycheck.
Goodness. You are quite the radical. You are gonna get it now.

:mrgreen:

Makes perfect sense to me.

401(k)s for everybody!!

Teachers too!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Panda wrote:
Do you realize that, for example, City of Austin employees can retire at 66% of base pay after 20 years employment? I work with a guy whose friend retired at age 37, after 17 years service, having bought out his last three years. This isn't merely outrageous, it's mathematically unsustainable.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

talltex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by talltex »

How about our own State Legislators? Why would anyone spend the money to run for an office that pays only $600 per month plus $150 per diem while in session ( comes out to $17,000 per year)...because if they hold an office only 8 years, they are entitled to full pension benefits starting at age 60, based not on their own small salaries, but on a Judge's salary of $125,000 per year. If they hold office for just 10 years total, they can start drawing the pension money at age 50! PLUS, they receive lifetime health insurance benefits. :grumble
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

These scams make Ponzi look like an amateur.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

talltex wrote:How about our own State Legislators? Why would anyone spend the money to run for an office that pays only $600 per month plus $150 per diem while in session ( comes out to $17,000 per year)...because if they hold an office only 8 years, they are entitled to full pension benefits starting at age 60, based not on their own small salaries, but on a Judge's salary of $125,000 per year. If they hold office for just 10 years total, they can start drawing the pension money at age 50! PLUS, they receive lifetime health insurance benefits. :grumble

That's not the only scam. Used to have a coworker who got appointed to some State board/committee, and they get a similar deal, except their pension is based on the pay of whoever heads the branch or department of government the committee/board reports through --and in many cases that is way more than $125K per year.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gigag04 »

I would suggest anyone jealous of PD pension benefits go through the academy and go get their own.

Free market economy works both ways...you saying that my retirement should be more like yours is no different than me wanting my salary to look like and escalate on the same level as a private sector professional.

And FWIW, I'm not going to be a cop forever. I have been completing my engineering degree by day and working at night. I graduate in a few weeks and have accepted an electrical manufacturer. I'll still hit the streets as a reserve once a month or so, and will probably get into training too...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”