Lewisville??

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Lewisville??

Post by jmra »

chasfm11 wrote:But he worries about a plain clothes officer getting into it with a BG and a CHL trying to intervene on the wrong side of the dispute.
Over half a million CHLs and legal carry for over a decade and a half and this has happened how many times? I'd be willing to bet a plain clothes officer is more likely to be shot by another officer than he is a CHL holder.
Maybe the real answer to his concern is to only allow officers in uniform to carry a firearm (sarcasm).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

jmra wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:But he worries about a plain clothes officer getting into it with a BG and a CHL trying to intervene on the wrong side of the dispute.
Over half a million CHLs and legal carry for over a decade and a half and this has happened how many times? I'd be willing to bet a plain clothes officer is more likely to be shot by another officer than he is a CHL holder.
Maybe the real answer to his concern is to only allow officers in uniform to carry a firearm (sarcasm).

That or wear a CHL badge and tiara..... :woohoo

Aiki

Post by Aiki »

Thank you for posting this. Several years ago my wife and I went with friends to Mardi Gras in the Strand area of Galveston. There were hyperactive churlish young men at the "security" booth demanding that they inspect all bags and make sure that no weapons and (surprisingly) no soft drinks would be brought inside to the party on public land. I also told them that the 4th amendment to the Constitution was still in effect, but the "security" people screamed at me. There was a LEO watching and he did not interfere. We decided to leave and spend money elsewhere.

Thanks to all who contribute here. We that have a CHL must follow the law as well as those that want to keep us out.
Just because some loudmouth "authority" (non LEO) says to disarm, we don't need to.

Again, thank you for posting this. Next time, I will talk with LEO and clarify our legal responsibilities.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

chasfm11 wrote: Grapevine does it (prevents CC at town sponsored events). I'm aware that the city governments often exchange information and I was afraid that Lewisville might have taken a page out of the same book. I was both surprised and pleased to hear the Lewisville officer say that they couldn't prevent CC.
Have you inquired with Grapevine about the basis for the prohibition or inquired with Grapevine PD if they'll actually enforce it? Curious, as they're that the only municipality to try stuff like this.

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 13

Post by chasfm11 »

cb1000rider wrote:
chasfm11 wrote: Grapevine does it (prevents CC at town sponsored events). I'm aware that the city governments often exchange information and I was afraid that Lewisville might have taken a page out of the same book. I was both surprised and pleased to hear the Lewisville officer say that they couldn't prevent CC.
Have you inquired with Grapevine about the basis for the prohibition or inquired with Grapevine PD if they'll actually enforce it? Curious, as they're that the only municipality to try stuff like this.
I was hoping that one of the guys here that is more familiar with Grapevine than I am would answer you. What I have is 2nd hand from reading previous threads on this forum.

1. The Grapevine Chief has stated that he will allow his officers discretion about arresting CHLs who are caught inside the obviously invalid 30.06 sign at Grapevine Mills. This is a case where he apparently knows the sign is invalid and is willing to stand behind the arrest anyway.

2. At Grapefest, where there is a valid 30.06 sign posted, officers were rumored to say they would arrest CHL violators. There is some question about Grapefest, like Wurstfest in that there is a 3rd party involved. In Lewisville, the assistant chief that I spoke with recognized that the 3rd party there didn't change the city's responsibility to allow CHL. I don't think Grapevine LE is taking the same position.
3. The Irving convention center, owned by that city, has an apparently valid 30.06 sign and I think that Grapevine uses that as a "me,too."
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Rockhouse57

Post by Rockhouse57 »

This year Sept 2016 Lewisville Western days had at each entrance into the downtown area a 51% sign to stop License to carry holders from bringing a weapon into the downtown area. Seems strange that a city could establish a entire downtown a bar because of the sell of beer even if the person was not drinking and just walking down the streets , looking at vendor booths, and listening to music.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

chasfm11 wrote:
J Wilson wrote:"For those who don't know Lewisville, there is a good reason that I don't go there unarmed....ever. The City seems to be trying to deal with some of the issues and I'd have to count the increased security at today's event as part of that effort"

I have lived in Lewisville for over 35 years and didn't know the city had any issues that any other cities don't have.Could you please tell me what these issues are?
THANX
I get the local paper which included the local crime blotter for Lewisville and several of the surrounding towns. Sorry that I don't have an electronic link to it. There is enough activity that I don't got to Lewisville, Corinth, Flower Mound, Highland Village without carrying.
I don't leave Flower Mound without carrying!!! "rlol" "rlol" "rlol"
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Rockhouse57 wrote:This year Sept 2016 Lewisville Western days had at each entrance into the downtown area a 51% sign to stop License to carry holders from bringing a weapon into the downtown area. Seems strange that a city could establish a entire downtown a bar because of the sell of beer even if the person was not drinking and just walking down the streets , looking at vendor booths, and listening to music.
They can't (legally) and 51% doesn't apply to outdoor areas, sidewalks, public streets, but that doesn't stop them from doing it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 13

Post by chasfm11 »

Rockhouse57 wrote:This year Sept 2016 Lewisville Western days had at each entrance into the downtown area a 51% sign to stop License to carry holders from bringing a weapon into the downtown area. Seems strange that a city could establish a entire downtown a bar because of the sell of beer even if the person was not drinking and just walking down the streets , looking at vendor booths, and listening to music.

It would be interesting to know exactly what entity holds the license that is deemed "gun sign - red". I tried to do a data base search last year when it was reported and could find nothing. Perhaps a Open Records Request of Lewisville would force them to disclose the holder of that license and exactly what address is used on it. TABC is being made to be the fall guy for this but perhaps they are willingly going along with it. My opinion is that this is pretty close to the situation in Bass Hall in Ft. Worth.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

chasfm11 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
I was hoping that one of the guys here that is more familiar with Grapevine than I am would answer you. What I have is 2nd hand from reading previous threads on this forum.

1. The Grapevine Chief has stated that he will allow his officers discretion about arresting CHLs who are caught inside the obviously invalid 30.06 sign at Grapevine Mills. This is a case where he apparently knows the sign is invalid and is willing to stand behind the arrest anyway.

2. At Grapefest, where there is a valid 30.06 sign posted, officers were rumored to say they would arrest CHL violators. There is some question about Grapefest, like Wurstfest in that there is a 3rd party involved. In Lewisville, the assistant chief that I spoke with recognized that the 3rd party there didn't change the city's responsibility to allow CHL. I don't think Grapevine LE is taking the same position.
3. The Irving convention center, owned by that city, has an apparently valid 30.06 sign and I think that Grapevine uses that as a "me,too."
Between the (IMO) illegal exclusion of licensees and the ridiculous cost of the entertainment there, we quit going to Grapefest long ago. I can smoke a brisket, ply my friends with adult beverages and provide plenty of entertainment for the kids at home for less cost and trouble, without risk of becoming a test case. Easy decision.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”