NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Post by mojo84 »

Next it will be no guns for uniformed cops either.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ps_fr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Post by philip964 »

Hmmmm. They want less legal guns.

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

They're off duty so it's basically the same logic as prohibiting CHL from carrying at professional sporting events.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

Ameer wrote:They're off duty so it's basically the same logic as prohibiting CHL from carrying at professional sporting events.

Right, but they are cops.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:
Ameer wrote:They're off duty so it's basically the same logic as prohibiting CHL from carrying at professional sporting events.

An off duty cop shouldn't have any more rights than any other person licensed/authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

So maybe more cops that are asleep will wake up. Anything that pries the blinders off is good.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

rotor

Post by rotor »

I thought off duty cops had to carry. I guess I am wrong.

jmra

Post by jmra »

rotor wrote:I thought off duty cops had to carry. I guess I am wrong.
Ever seen an inebriated off duty cop? They are not required to carry off duty.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

JSThane
Banned

Post by JSThane »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

An off duty cop shouldn't have any more rights than any other person licensed/authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
I'll go one further. We shouldn't have any more rights than anyone, license or not. One of the reasons I have a CHL, even though I "don't need it."

And no, we aren't required to carry off-duty. It is an option we can exercise, but it isn't required.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by EEllis »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

That is like saying an on duty cop shouldn't have anymore rights tho I think rights are the wrong verbiage. Officers don't have rights to their job they have duties that they are required to fulfill even when not working. If everyone has equal rights and duties then why have cops at all?
Hate to break it to you but some dept do require their officers to carry off duty. The phrasing usually, but not always, gives some out like "When "off duty", each member will carry or have in his/her immediate possession, his/her badge, department sidearm, or a pistol or revolver, as authorized by the Department, and the identification card. This rule shall not apply when members are engaged in sports and activities of such a nature as to make it impractical or when imbibing alcoholic beverages."

em mine.

Some northern depts don't encourage, or even allow, off duty carry and train officers to be witnesses and if they do get involved not to use force but that is rare. Also consider in a rural area the only backup for an office in trouble for hours might well be off duty cops and that most Texas officers consider their duty requires them to able to act as a police officer at all times.

jmra

Post by jmra »

EEllis wrote:
jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

That is like saying an on duty cop shouldn't have anymore rights tho I think rights are the wrong verbiage. Officers don't have rights to their job they have duties that they are required to fulfill even when not working. If everyone has equal rights and duties then why have cops at all?
Hate to break it to you but some dept do require their officers to carry off duty. The phrasing usually, but not always, gives some out like "When "off duty", each member will carry or have in his/her immediate possession, his/her badge, department sidearm, or a pistol or revolver, as authorized by the Department, and the identification card. This rule shall not apply when members are engaged in sports and activities of such a nature as to make it impractical or when imbibing alcoholic beverages."

em mine.

Some northern depts don't encourage, or even allow, off duty carry and train officers to be witnesses and if they do get involved not to use force but that is rare. Also consider in a rural area the only backup for an office in trouble for hours might well be off duty cops and that most Texas officers consider their duty requires them to able to act as a police officer at all times.
Sorry, don't buy the argument at all. My God given right to protect myself and my family trumps their "duty" everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

EEllis wrote:
jmra wrote:Ever seen an inebriated off duty cop? They are not required to carry off duty.
Hate to break it to you but some dept do require their officers to carry off duty. The phrasing usually, but not always, gives some out like "When "off duty", each member will carry or have in his/her immediate possession, his/her badge, department sidearm, or a pistol or revolver, as authorized by the Department, and the identification card. This rule shall not apply when members are engaged in sports and activities of such a nature as to make it impractical or when imbibing alcoholic beverages

Not sure why you "Hate to break to (me)" when you have actually proven my point. Unless you simply want to argue semantics, the policy you quoted is what I was saying. Not to mention the fact that the quoted policy probably hasn't been enforced in most departments in over twenty years.
I'll never forget the look on a local detectives face when I explained to him that it was legal for a CHL to carry in Church and that most of the non-LEOs having coffee with him before Church were armed. He simply couldn't understand why anyone would feel the need to carry in Church. He then polled the LEOs sitting at the table and 3 of the 4 were unarmed. I'll have to ask about their "policy" but I'm sure it's been long ignored.
Not to mention the fact that almost all the younger officers I know, when off duty are either engaged in one of the activities you mentioned or they are home asleep. :mrgreen: I can most definitely assure you that if these officers are at any professional sporting event, they are consuming alcohol and are unarmed.
Simply put, if an officer doesn't want to carry off duty there is plenty of room in the policy stated above (even with departments that might enforce it) for the officer to go unarmed pretty much anytime he wants. So, no - in practical everyday application, they are not "required" to carry off duty.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

jmra wrote:
rotor wrote:I thought off duty cops had to carry. I guess I am wrong.
Depends on the department.... and the policy in place at the time.
I know of at least two local departments that have a policy in place that requires them to carry off duty under most circumstances, and two other department that encourage it, but not require... :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

jmra wrote: Sorry, don't buy the argument at all. My God given right to protect myself and my family trumps their "duty" everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
What? That really isn't an argument for anything but "I wanna carry!" and has nothing to do with the FACT that officers for depts all over the country are required to carry 24/7

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

jmra wrote:
EEllis wrote:
jmra wrote:Ever seen an inebriated off duty cop? They are not required to carry off duty.
Hate to break it to you but some dept do require their officers to carry off duty. The phrasing usually, but not always, gives some out like "When "off duty", each member will carry or have in his/her immediate possession, his/her badge, department sidearm, or a pistol or revolver, as authorized by the Department, and the identification card. This rule shall not apply when members are engaged in sports and activities of such a nature as to make it impractical or when imbibing alcoholic beverages

Not sure why you "Hate to break to (me)" when you have actually proven my point. Unless you simply want to argue semantics, the policy you quoted is what I was saying. Not to mention the fact that the quoted policy probably hasn't been enforced in most departments in over twenty years.
I'll never forget the look on a local detectives face when I explained to him that it was legal for a CHL to carry in Church and that most of the non-LEOs having coffee with him before Church were armed. He simply couldn't understand why anyone would feel the need to carry in Church. He then polled the LEOs sitting at the table and 3 of the 4 were unarmed. I'll have to ask about their "policy" but I'm sure it's been long ignored.
Not to mention the fact that almost all the younger officers I know, when off duty are either engaged in one of the activities you mentioned or they are home asleep. :mrgreen: I can most definitely assure you that if these officers are at any professional sporting event, they are consuming alcohol and are unarmed.
Simply put, if an officer doesn't want to carry off duty there is plenty of room in the policy stated above (even with departments that might enforce it) for the officer to go unarmed pretty much anytime he wants. So, no - in practical everyday application, they are not "required" to carry off duty.

I don't know why it gets you so worked up but you are incorrect. There are dept where if you are found without your gun you get days off. Some depts say on you, some say available but if you bump into your LT and don't have a gun then yes you will get days off. Some depts expect and require cops to be armed when drinking. That the ones you know don't belong to such depts really doesn't mean that much.
Last edited by EEllis on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”