Pulled over by Leo's wife...

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Pulled over by Leo's wife...

Post by mojo84 »

Dave2 wrote:
srothstein wrote:Some other offenses about schools are also class B (like passing a school bus).
Wait, what?!? When did that become illegal? I live really close to a school and at the right time of day, if I can't pass them, they'd be blocking the main road to and from my house for 30 minutes.
Sorry for the thread drift, but if I'm understanding you correctly, and you're correct about what the law says, then I need to start taking an inconvenient route to/from work on some days!

I believe he is saying when they are loading and unloading. Yes, it is illegal to pass them when they are doing that.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

mojo84 wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
srothstein wrote:Some other offenses about schools are also class B (like passing a school bus).
Wait, what?!? When did that become illegal? I live really close to a school and at the right time of day, if I can't pass them, they'd be blocking the main road to and from my house for 30 minutes.
Sorry for the thread drift, but if I'm understanding you correctly, and you're correct about what the law says, then I need to start taking an inconvenient route to/from work on some days!

I believe he is saying when they are loading and unloading. Yes, it is illegal to pass them when they are doing that.
Oh, that, ok. I thought he meant "in general". Thanks, I'm good now :smile:
I was just starting to wonder why I hadn't been pulled over for passing school busses that are parked or waiting to turn, because surely by now I've done it in front of a cop.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Dave2 wrote:

If the buses have their red flashing lights on you cannot pass in either direction.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

texanjoker wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

If the buses have their red flashing lights on you cannot pass in either direction.
It can be a very large fine.
NRA Endowment Member

mojo84
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mojo84 »

WildBill wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

It can be a very large fine.
And you will take a hit on your insurance premiums for the next two to three years. I call it the "you don't care if you run over kids" surcharge. Same for speeding through school zones.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

I second the question of using a phone in a school zone while driving. Maybe you should tell her husband on her.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

I think there are exceptions, like if the road has a median that divides or separates the two different directions is one.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

Dirthawking wrote:I second the question of using a phone in a school zone while driving. Maybe you should tell her husband on her.
I also think this is only illegal if there are signs stating that it is prohibited. There were some school districts or cities that said they could not afford to buy the signs and have them installed, so they could not enforce that law.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

C-dub wrote:
Dirthawking wrote:I second the question of using a phone in a school zone while driving. Maybe you should tell her husband on her.
I also think this is only illegal if there are signs stating that it is prohibited. There were some school districts or cities that said they could not afford to buy the signs and have them installed, so they could not enforce that law.
Well, a sign is required, but it may not have to be posted at the school zone. If a municipality bans all use of cell phones (unless hands free) by ordinance when driving, then the signs can be posted at the city limits on the highways.
Sec. 545.425. USE OF WIRELESS COMMUNICATION DEVICE; OFFENSE. (a) In this section:
(1) "Hands-free device" means speakerphone capability or a telephone attachment or other piece of equipment, regardless of whether permanently installed in the motor vehicle, that allows use of the wireless communication device without use of either of the operator's hands.
(2) "Wireless communication device" means a device that uses a commercial mobile service, as defined by 47 U.S.C. Section 332.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an operator may not use a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle within a school crossing zone, as defined by Section 541.302, Transportation Code, unless:
(1) the vehicle is stopped; or
(2) the wireless communication device is used with a hands-free device.
(b-1) Except as provided by Subsection (b-2), a municipality, county, or other political subdivision that enforces this section shall post a sign that complies with the standards described by this subsection at the entrance to each school crossing zone in the municipality, county, or other political subdivision. The department shall adopt standards that:
(1) allow for a sign required to be posted under this subsection to be attached to an existing sign at a minimal cost; and
(2) require that a sign required to be posted under this subsection inform an operator that:
(A) the use of a wireless communication device is prohibited in the school crossing zone; and
(B) the operator is subject to a fine if the operator uses a wireless communication device in the school crossing zone.
(b-2) A municipality, county, or other political subdivision that by ordinance or rule prohibits the use of a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle throughout the jurisdiction of the political subdivision is not required to post a sign as required by Subsection (b-1) if the political subdivision:
(1) posts signs that are located at each point at which a state highway, U.S. highway, or interstate highway enters the political subdivision and that state:
(A) that an operator is prohibited from using a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle in the political subdivision; and
(B) that the operator is subject to a fine if the operator uses a wireless communication device while operating a motor vehicle in the political subdivision; and
(2) subject to all applicable United States Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration rules, posts a message that complies with Subdivision (1) on any dynamic message sign operated by the political subdivision located on a state highway, U.S. highway, or interstate highway in the political subdivision.

(b-3) A sign posted under Subsection (b-2)(1) must be readable to an operator traveling at the applicable speed limit.
(b-4) The political subdivision shall pay the costs associated with the posting of signs under Subsection (b-2).
(c) An operator may not use a wireless communication device while operating a passenger bus with a minor passenger on the bus unless the passenger bus is stopped.
(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an offense under this section that:
(1) the wireless communication device was used to make an emergency call to:
(A) an emergency response service, including a rescue, emergency medical, or hazardous material response service;
(B) a hospital;
(C) a fire department;
(D) a health clinic;
(E) a medical doctor's office;
(F) an individual to administer first aid treatment; or
(G) a police department; or
(2) a sign required by Subsection (b-1) was not posted at the entrance to the school crossing zone at the time of an offense committed in the school crossing zone.
(d-1) The affirmative defense available in Subsection (d)(2) is not available for an offense under Subsection (b) committed in a school crossing zone located in a municipality, county, or other political subdivision that is in compliance with Subsection (b-2).
(e) This section does not apply to:
(1) an operator of an authorized emergency vehicle using a wireless communication device while acting in an official capacity; or
(2) an operator who is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission while operating a radio frequency device other than a wireless communication device.
(f) Except as provided by Subsection (b-2), this section preempts all local ordinances, rules, or regulations that are inconsistent with specific provisions of this section adopted by a political subdivision of this state relating to the use of a wireless communication device by the operator of a motor vehicle.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 357, Sec. 5, eff. September 1, 2005.
Amended by:
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1105, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2009.
Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 774, Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jbarn
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jbarn »

C-dub wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

I think there are exceptions, like if the road has a median that divides or separates the two different directions is one.
Yes,
Texas Transportation Code

Sec. 545.066. PASSING A SCHOOL BUS; OFFENSE. (a) An operator on a highway, when approaching from either direction a school bus stopped on the highway to receive or discharge a student:
(1) shall stop before reaching the school bus when the bus is operating a visual signal as required by Section 547.701; and
(2) may not proceed until:
(A) the school bus resumes motion;
(B) the operator is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or
(C) the visual signal is no longer actuated.
(b) An operator on a highway having separate roadways is not required to stop:
(1) for a school bus that is on a different roadway; or
(2) if on a controlled-access highway, for a school bus that is stopped:
(A) in a loading zone that is a part of or adjacent to the highway; and
(B) where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.
(f) For the purposes of this section:
(1) a highway is considered to have separate roadways only if the highway has roadways separated by an intervening space on which operation of vehicles is not permitted, a physical barrier, or a clearly indicated dividing section constructed to impede vehicular traffic; and
(2) a highway is not considered to have separate roadways if the highway has roadways separated only by a left turn lane.

Sec. 541.302. TRAFFIC AREAS. In this subtitle:

(5) "Highway or street" means the width between the boundary lines of a publicly maintained way any part of which is open to the public for vehicular travel.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

The_Busy_Mom

Post by The_Busy_Mom »

jbarn wrote:
C-dub wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
Dave2 wrote:

Yes,
Texas Transportation Code

Sec. 545.066. PASSING A SCHOOL BUS; OFFENSE. (a) An operator on a highway, when approaching from either direction a school bus stopped on the highway to receive or discharge a student:
(1) shall stop before reaching the school bus when the bus is operating a visual signal as required by Section 547.701; and
(2) may not proceed until:
(A) the school bus resumes motion;
(B) the operator is signaled by the bus driver to proceed; or
(C) the visual signal is no longer actuated.
(b) An operator on a highway having separate roadways is not required to stop:
(1) for a school bus that is on a different roadway; or
(2) if on a controlled-access highway, for a school bus that is stopped:
(A) in a loading zone that is a part of or adjacent to the highway; and
(B) where pedestrians are not permitted to cross the roadway.
(f) For the purposes of this section:
(1) a highway is considered to have separate roadways only if the highway has roadways separated by an intervening space on which operation of vehicles is not permitted, a physical barrier, or a clearly indicated dividing section constructed to impede vehicular traffic; and
(2) a highway is not considered to have separate roadways if the highway has roadways separated only by a left turn lane.

Sec. 541.302. TRAFFIC AREAS. In this subtitle:

(5) "Highway or street" means the width between the boundary lines of a publicly maintained way any part of which is open to the public for vehicular travel.
As a former school bus driver, I can attest that this is probably the most violated part of the code. In Keller, there is a 6-lane highway, divided only by a left turn center lane (no physical barriers, just striped/painted). One of my stops dropped a single child who had to cross all 6 lanes, plus center left turn lane, to get to his house which was actually on the highway. People going the opposite way rarely ever stopped because they thought, hey, the bus is all the way over there across the highway, and it is divided by the center lane. After several close calls, I found a different way to drop that student off. You can't imagine the people who just 'see through' the flashing red lights, the flashing stop sign, everything. It's kind of like people 'seeing through' motorcycles.

As for that crazy wife of the LEO, I would have told her to go ...... well, stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

:txflag: TBM
Texas CHL Instructor / NRA Certified Instructor
Final Shot Armory - Specializing in Firearms Sales & Transfers, NFA Sales
$20 Transfers for Current TX CHL Holders, Military, Teachers, LEO / $25 Everyone else
http://www.FinalShotUS.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”