Denied Rigth To Vote...For Carrying Pocket Knife

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Denied Rigth To Vote...For Carrying Pocket Knife

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
SewTexas wrote:I don't see how a cell phone with a camera can be banned from a building, from a courtROOM sure, but not from the building itself. that's simply nuts.
Judges have wide latitude to control their courtrooms. They can throw out cameras. They can throw out people.

Frankly I want a courthouse with incredible security. Any court with criminal proceedings, or far worse family proceedings, is a potential warzone with emotion driving.
Yeah, we wouldn't want all those unstable CHLs from carrying a=in a courthouse would we?

Anygunanywhere
If its family court, no I wouldn't.

jbarn
Posts in topic: 8

Post by jbarn »

bulinm wrote:Don't get me started........The fact that I can't walk into the courthouse carrying a pocketknife
is the most ridiculous thing I can imagine. We should be able to carry our firearms also, of course.
Nobody I know is dumb enough to shoot a lawyer - that's the quickest way to Huntsville.
There have been plenty of incidents over the years of people going nuts at courthouses and shooting lawyers. One famous one found the lawyer and shooter with a tree between them, and the lawyer using the tree for cover and the shooter trying to shoot aroumd the tree..... wild stuff.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

SewTexas wrote:I don't see how a cell phone with a camera can be banned from a building, from a courtROOM sure, but not from the building itself. that's simply nuts.

Why not? Just because a building is public does not mean anything goes.
Texas CHL Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
Judges have wide latitude to control their courtrooms. They can throw out cameras. They can throw out people.

Frankly I want a courthouse with incredible security. Any court with criminal proceedings, or far worse family proceedings, is a potential warzone with emotion driving.
Yeah, we wouldn't want all those unstable CHLs from carrying in a courthouse would we?

Anygunanywhere
OK, you do not have to if you decide not to, Your option.

Emotions can run high pretty much anyplace and anytime. Emotions can run high in the checkout line of Wally World. If someone is not stable enough to carry, it makes no difference where they are at the time.

CHLs should be allowed to carry wherever LEOs can carry.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Cedar Park Dad
Banned

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Yeah, we wouldn't want all those unstable CHLs from carrying in a courthouse would we?

Anygunanywhere

Emotions can run high pretty much anyplace and anytime. Emotions can run high in the checkout line of Wally World. If someone is not stable enough to carry, it makes no difference where they are at the time.

Anygunanywhere
No. Family court is a completely different animal. You don't have kids get taken away from parents in Wally World.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 4

Post by SewTexas »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Anygunanywhere
No. Family court is a completely different animal. You don't have kids get taken away from parents in Wally World.

:roll: no, you have kids getting taken away from hospitals, another place that's quickly becoming a GFZ :roll:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

so far no one has explained why a camera phone would or should be banned from a court HOUSE. I totally understand a judge banning it from a court ROOM, ie: family court, juvi court ect....all of those have to do with a ROOM, nothing to do with the court HOUSE....there are other things that happen in a court HOUSE, business papers are filed, people are married, ect....maybe I NEED something that is stored on my phone while I am filling out that paper.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Anygunanywhere

off duty leo's on personal business are not allowed to carry in the Travis County courthouse

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

SewTexas wrote:so far no one has explained why a camera phone would or should be banned from a court HOUSE. I totally understand a judge banning it from a court ROOM, ie: family court, juvi court ect....all of those have to do with a ROOM, nothing to do with the court HOUSE....there are other things that happen in a court HOUSE, business papers are filed, people are married, ect....maybe I NEED something that is stored on my phone while I am filling out that paper.
It doesn't matter why. They CAN do it, and some do. Just like they can ban any knife. ;-)
Texas CHL Instructor

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

texanjoker wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Anygunanywhere

off duty leo's on personal business are not allowed to carry in the Travis County courthouse
OK. That does not make my statement irrelevant. That is the Travis County courthouse. Lots of places that CHL are forbidden to carry that all LEO are given a pass.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

SewTexas wrote:so far no one has explained why a camera phone would or should be banned from a court HOUSE. I totally understand a judge banning it from a court ROOM, ie: family court, juvi court ect....all of those have to do with a ROOM, nothing to do with the court HOUSE....there are other things that happen in a court HOUSE, business papers are filed, people are married, ect....maybe I NEED something that is stored on my phone while I am filling out that paper.
Sometimes they don't want anyone taking pictures of a jury for their own safety. Or maybe witnesses. Those are the only reasons I can think of at this time.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

C-dub wrote:
Sometimes they don't want anyone taking pictures of a jury for their own safety. Or maybe witnesses. Those are the only reasons I can think of at this time.

right and I can sit here and figure out a way, or three, to work around that without half trying. (I'd be a good bad-guy if I were so inclined)

if I'm on the jury, fine, I'll turn in my phone, I get that they don't want to risk me texting jury notes. If I'm in a courtroom with juvies on trial, fine, no cameras, phones included. But, if I'm filing business papers in the county clerk's office and it just happens to be in the same building as a courthouse with this nutty rule, I'm going to be very unhappy. Happily there is no such rule here in Schertz, or at Guadalupe County, so the likelihood of me having such a problem is slim.
~Tracy

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RPBrown »

Here is a strange one for you. A few years ago I went to Fort Worth to pull a permit. They had metal detectors and I informed the LEO that I had my CHL and was armed. He told me that was fine but to empty everything else from my pockets and go through anyway. I did, including my small pocket knife. He informed me that was not allowed inside. I asked him about the logic in that and he said he was just following orders.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

scokill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by scokill »

Cedar Park Dad wrote:

Frankly I want a courthouse with incredible security. Any court with criminal proceedings, or far worse family proceedings, is a potential warzone with emotion driving.[/quote

A judge can ban people for wearing something they don't like, so you don't think they can ban pocket knifes? Go ahead and take that to the Supreme Court.

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Simple answer - it is easier to enforce at the entry to the courthouse than at a hundred different courtroom entrances.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”