Gang members with LTC

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mojo84
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gang members with LTC

Post by mojo84 »

bones281 wrote:There is a way to label those guys as gang members so that DPS would know. I use this system everyday. It's called TxGang. You might want to look into it.

Do you know if that system is accessed as part of the LTC background check process?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Javier730
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Javier730 »

nightmare69 wrote:When I was in a gang training course taught by a local gang detective, he said that our area(also the area of my campus)is starting to see known gang members with valid LTC. The kicker is if they are not involved in any criminal activity there is nothing we can do about it because there isn't any stipulation forbidding gang members from applying for a LTC.
If the guys aren't involved in criminal activity, whats the big deal?
nightmare69 wrote:Whenever I've had contact with known gangs I try to charge them under TPC 71.02 and add on TPC: 71.028 to enhance it if the D.A. will take it.
When you say "whenever", do you mean whenever you have contact with gang members and one if them is committing a crime, you arrest everyone of them under TPC 71.02 or just whenever you have contact with them?
nightmare69 wrote:Unless there is prior or current criminal activity taking place then our hands are tied as it is not a crime to be a member of a criminal street gang. There needs to be some stipulation that allows LE to be able to revoke their license if we can prove they are a gang member.
If you take their LTC based on the fact that you believe they are gang members, what do you do with their firearms if you revoke then on the streets? Would you hand the pistol back to the "gang member" and let him be on his way or take it away since he can't carry under MPA?
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

gljjt

Post by gljjt »

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
Abraham wrote:nightmare69 ,
Some of us (for instance, you...) can identify a dirtbag when you see a dirtbag.
I'll admit that I can't. Some of the biggest dirtbags on the planet tend to wear suits and ties and are much more dangerous to our wallets than a someone who wears less acceptable forms of clothing.

I'm fine with LTC getting taken away if gang membership is proven through a judicial process. I just don't want to shift the burden of proof the other way by abusing the legal process.

What do you do with "gang members" who turn their lives around and have no criminal record? Are they banned for life?
I believe after 5yrs of a clean record they are taken off the gang information system in Texas. I've applied for access to this great system.
to address each of the highlighted statements:
1. Just being a "dirtbag" isn't an illegal act. Until they've committed a criminal offense they are just a law abiding "dirtbag" with the same rights as anyone else.
2. I can't even agree with revoking a license just because they are proven to be a member of a particular group if they've never been arrested and convicted of anything. I personally can't stand rap music, sagging pants, sideways caps, or tattoos...but I don't have the right to tell others what they can listen to or wear or do to their own bodies as long as they are not committing illegal acts.
3. This whole discussion was about people that ALREADY have a CLEAN record...which was frustrating your desire to revoke their LTC.
^^^ This. This whole concept is a slippery slope.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 11

Post by nightmare69 »

mojo84 wrote:
bones281 wrote:There is a way to label those guys as gang members so that DPS would know. I use this system everyday. It's called TxGang. You might want to look into it.

Do you know if that system is accessed as part of the LTC background check process?
Txgang, that's the system my Dept applied to use. It should be part of the application process.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 5

Post by GlassG19 »

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.
EXACTLY!! WHEN you ARREST an LTC holder....at that point the same principle applies...not before. The problem is, you are wanting to be able to circumvent the legal process and revoke someone BEFORE they've actually committed any offense. You seek to appoint yourself judge and jury and declare someone guilty because, in your opinion, they MIGHT do something at some point in the future. That is just wrong!

I'm with you Talltex!
Unbelievable! That's a huge problem that people are trying to be the all above, Judge & Jury, that is just wrong is right! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 11

Post by nightmare69 »

GlassG19 wrote:
talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: We should be able to fill out the paperwork to send to DPS as we do now when we arrest a LTC holder. Then they suspend the license pending final disposition. The process should be the same for a gang member.
EXACTLY!! WHEN you ARREST an LTC holder....at that point the same principle applies...not before. The problem is, you are wanting to be able to circumvent the legal process and revoke someone BEFORE they've actually committed any offense. You seek to appoint yourself judge and jury and declare someone guilty because, in your opinion, they MIGHT do something at some point in the future. That is just wrong!

I'm with you Talltex!
Unbelievable! That's a huge problem that people are trying to be the all above, Judge & Jury, that is just wrong is right! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Lol not at all. I would let DPS make that determination as we do now. This is my and many other LEOs opinion as we are the ones who deal with gang members and the rest of the scum on a daily basis. Believe what you like, I feel like gang members shouldn't have a LTC and nothing you say is going to change my mind.

Back to the LEO forums I go...cheers.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

nightmare69 wrote:
GlassG19 wrote:
talltex wrote:

I'm with you Talltex!
Lol not at all. I would let DPS make that determination as we do now. This is my and many other LEOs opinion as we are the ones who deal with gang members and the rest of the scum on a daily basis. Believe what you like, I feel like gang members shouldn't have a LTC and nothing you say is going to change my mind.

Do you believe said gang members would not have a gun if they did not possess an LTC.

talltex

Post by talltex »

nightmare69 wrote:
GlassG19 wrote:
talltex wrote:

I'm with you Talltex!

FINALLY...one of your statements I can agree with. Which is unfortunate, because as someone who intends to make a career of Law Enforcement, you should not view and approach the people you are sworn to "protect and serve" (even "the scum you deal with on a daily basis") with a closed mind and a preconceived confrontational attitude based on your limited experience.
Last edited by talltex on Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
GlassG19 wrote:
talltex wrote:

I'm with you Talltex!

FINALLY...one of your statements I can agree with. Which is unfortunate, because as someone who intends to make a career of Law Enforcement, you should not view and approach the people you are sworn to "protect and serve" (even "the scum you deal with on a daily basis") with a closed mind and a preconceived confrontational attitude based on based on your limited experience.

:iagree: with Talltex again.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

16Adams
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 16Adams »

Just an observation after a 30 year career in a large police department. I watched a lot of young rookies come and go. Two things they had in common: no hobbies and wanted to rewrite laws to their view in life. They burn out. Almost all departed and went into some type of sales job- where they failed. The mentality that "life should conform to me" is interesting. The lack of ability to adjust can make life and career choices a tough gig.

Stay safe and best of luck.

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

16Adams wrote:Just an observation after a 30 year career in a large police department. I watched a lot of young rookies come and go. Two things they had in common: no hobbies and wanted to rewrite laws to their view in life. They burn out. Almost all departed and went into some type of sales job- where they failed. The mentality that "life should conform to me" is interesting. The lack of ability to adjust can make life and career choices a tough gig.

Stay safe and best of luck.
That's pretty much the same what I've heard before from one of my 'ole ex-HPD veteran retired LE friend. He has pretty much told that same observation to me. Y'all veterans "got it".
:tiphat:

GlassG19

Post by GlassG19 »

talltex wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:
Abraham wrote:nightmare69 ,
Some of us (for instance, you...) can identify a dirtbag when you see a dirtbag.
I'll admit that I can't. Some of the biggest dirtbags on the planet tend to wear suits and ties and are much more dangerous to our wallets than a someone who wears less acceptable forms of clothing.

I'm fine with LTC getting taken away if gang membership is proven through a judicial process. I just don't want to shift the burden of proof the other way by abusing the legal process.

What do you do with "gang members" who turn their lives around and have no criminal record? Are they banned for life?
I believe after 5yrs of a clean record they are taken off the gang information system in Texas. I've applied for access to this great system.
to address each of the highlighted statements:
1. Just being a "dirtbag" isn't an illegal act. Until they've committed a criminal offense they are just a law abiding "dirtbag" with the same rights as anyone else.
2. I can't even agree with revoking a license just because they are proven to be a member of a particular group if they've never been arrested and convicted of anything. I personally can't stand rap music, sagging pants, sideways caps, or tattoos...but I don't have the right to tell others what they can listen to or wear or do to their own bodies as long as they are not committing illegal acts.
3. This whole discussion was about people that ALREADY have a CLEAN record...which was frustrating your desire to revoke their LTC.

AGAIN, :iagree: man, you're hitting the nail right on the head.
Thank you Talltex..

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

Bones,
How do you get into this system? Is it by association / observation? Or is it by actual judicial conviction? Is the data purged after 5-years of being clean - meaning erased?

No one here wants active violent criminals to be licensed to carry firearms. But clearly there are many of us who don't want to put our gun rights in the hands of anyone working for the government without some level of judicial oversight.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Post by anygunanywhere »

cb1000rider wrote:Bones,
How do you get into this system? Is it by association / observation? Or is it by actual judicial conviction? Is the data purged after 5-years of being clean - meaning erased?

No one here wants active violent criminals to be licensed to carry firearms. But clearly there are many of us who don't want to put our gun rights in the hands of anyone working for the government without some level of judicial oversight.
If you haven't done anything wrong why are you worried?

:mrgreen:
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

FastCarry
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FastCarry »

anygunanywhere wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:Bones,

If you haven't done anything wrong why are you worried?

:mrgreen:

Because as evident by this thread, there are LEO's who dont care if you haven't done anything wrong.

This thread should probably be locked.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”