Gang members with LTC

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Javier730
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Gang members with LTC

Post by Javier730 »

cb1000rider wrote: No one here wants active violent criminals to be licensed to carry firearms. But clearly there are many of us who don't want to put our gun rights in the hands of anyone working for the government without some level of judicial oversight.
:iagree:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

bones281
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bones281 »

I'm not sure if they purge the system, but I've seen people on there that have listing from years ago. As far as getting access I had to go through my department head and they sent my application to DPS for authorization. The way I see it if DPS were to run a DL it should link them to TxGang if they're listed on there.

talltex
Posts in topic: 5

Post by talltex »

bones281 wrote:I'm not sure if they purge the system, but I've seen people on there that have listing from years ago. As far as getting access I had to go through my department head and they sent my application to DPS for authorization. The way I see it if DPS were to run a DL it should link them to TxGang if they're listed on there.
That should be a red flag to everyone. In my experience, once something gets into a government database it tends to stay there unless there is a court order to remove it. Since that particular database is only open to LE and Government agencies....and then only after approval of an application to access it....who's going to be keeping an eye on it to see if it's ever purged of old entries after a certain period of years?
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cb1000rider »

bones281 wrote:I'm not sure if they purge the system, but I've seen people on there that have listing from years ago. As far as getting access I had to go through my department head and they sent my application to DPS for authorization. The way I see it if DPS were to run a DL it should link them to TxGang if they're listed on there.
It sounds like you don't know how they get added to the list.
It also sounds like they don't get purged (ever).

Is a list that you can be added to without judicial oversight that can restrict your right to carry a firearm something that you'd support?

Not trying to be insulting... But if so, you trust your government much more than I do..

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Guilt by association is a slippery slope, a very slippery slope. I understand that the term "gang" connotes a very negative image in the minds of most people and rightfully so. So does the term "terrorist" and there are elected officials that are calling for NRA members, concealed carry licensees and even any gun owners to be labeled as terrorists. There are Democrats who argue the same for Tea Party Republicans.

Once we allow the government to deny rights to a person who has not committed a crime based upon the government's unilateral decision to label that person as undesirable, then Pandora's Box as been opened and freedom is on its way to extension. Let's focus on constitutional protections, not the ownership of the ox getting gored.

As a practical matter, if gangs recruit people with a clean record so they can carry a gun during gang "activities," it won't take long for them to lose their LTC.

Chas.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Guilt by association is a slippery slope, a very slippery slope. I understand that the term "gang" connotes a very negative image in the minds of most people and rightfully so. So does the term "terrorist" and there are elected officials that are calling for NRA members, concealed carry licensees and even any gun owners to be labeled as terrorists. There are Democrats who argue the same for Tea Party Republicans.

Once we allow the government to deny rights to a person who has not committed a crime based upon the government's unilateral decision to label that person as undesirable, then Pandora's Box as been opened and freedom is on its way to extension. Let's focus on constitutional protections, not the ownership of the ox getting gored.

As a practical matter, if gangs recruit people with a clean record so they can carry a gun during gang "activities," it won't take long for them to lose their LTC.

Chas.

:iagree:

Nailed it!!
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

GlassG19
Posts in topic: 5

Post by GlassG19 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Guilt by association is a slippery slope, a very slippery slope. I understand that the term "gang" connotes a very negative image in the minds of most people and rightfully so. So does the term "terrorist" and there are elected officials that are calling for NRA members, concealed carry licensees and even any gun owners to be labeled as terrorists. There are Democrats who argue the same for Tea Party Republicans.

1 million% agree!

As a practical matter, if gangs recruit people with a clean record so they can carry a gun during gang "activities," it won't take long for them to lost their LTC.

Chas.
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"- George Washington

pushpullpete
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pushpullpete »

[/quote]Because as evident by this thread, there are LEO's who dont care if you haven't done anything wrong.

This thread should probably be locked.[/quote]

FastCarry, quick history, I'm not now nor have I ever been LE. My children were raised with LE & Warfighters as a part of our family across the dinner table (theirs & ours). We camped together, laughed, cried & loved.
We've heard many many stories, scary, funny, sad, stupid..... and on & on. I do not know the exact %, but, I would bet that a minimum of 95% of LE contacts are with less than "upstanding citizens" (read dirtbags & dings). I think it takes a special person to be LE or the loved one waiting for them. Not everyone can or should do it because it will change a person. That can be & usually is a very hard thing to watch.
This thread got people talking about a legimate concern, not a bad thing by any measure. That said.

Should gang members have a LTC ? hahaha NO (MY opinion). LEGALLY, are they allowed to, have they done something that would stop or keep them from receiving one ? Let them get it. As others have said, they probably won't keep it for long and it really is a 'slippery slope'. The flip side here, does that mean that the other gang members who can't get a LTC are NOT carrying.. "rlol"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”