Wife Stalked by Police?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JonnySW
Posts in topic: 3

Wife Stalked by Police?

Post by JonnySW »

So this happened a few weeks ago, but my wife was driving her mom home from our house in NRH to her moms in Keller. It was late and about 3 mins left before they reached her house a local police car followed close behind her and seemed to keep the same distance as if he was running plates. My wife turned off the main road and down some side streets to her moms and the cop did not follow.

After staying for about 5 mins, she left her moms and returned home, only to find the same police car behind her again (appeared to have been waiting in a shopping center) and pulled her over. He was very quick with his words, extra cautious and seemed to be on high alert. When asked why she was pulled over, he claimed it was for not turning into the inside lane when turning, but not for the turn she just made, but for a turn she made 15 mins prior from the first time the cop was behind her. He then questioned who was the owner the the SUV and what her relation to the owner she was. I am the registered owner, and im sure it shows i have a CHL when they run the plates. The entire experience seemed very odd, although she did not get a ticket, only warning, it just wasnt something i expected.

Just thought i would share. Carry On.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Wife Stalked by Police?

Post by Keith B »

The CHL status does not show up when plates are ran. The only time it shows if it your Driver License is ran.

Just guessing, but it sounds like they may have had a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for a similar vehicle for some reason and stopped her to see if this might be the vehicle.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

winters
Banned

Post by winters »

Who knows what information they were fishing for.If it really bothers you I guess you could file a complaint with the police dept.I had a very strange incident similar to your story and it caused me to never trust the police.

FastCarry

Post by FastCarry »

I'd guess a BOLO. Might have been a suspicious vehicle or suspect vehicle called in.

randy634

Post by randy634 »

Keith B wrote:The CHL status does not show up when plates are ran. The only time it shows if it your Driver License is ran.

Just guessing, but it sounds like they may have had a BOLO (Be On the Look Out) for a similar vehicle for some reason and stopped her to see if this might be the vehicle.
:iagree:
“More important than your obligation to follow your conscience, or at least prior to it, is your obligation to form your conscience correctly.” – Justice Scalia

Topic author
JonnySW
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JonnySW »

I assumed when plates were ran it did. When i entered Shepard AFB in my truck, the lady at the guard check asked me if i was carrying my concealed weapon on me. I said, "wow you can see that i have a CHL", she laughed and changed the subject. I assume they got it off the plates. Who knows, its the govt, lol.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JonnySW wrote:I assumed when plates were ran it did. When i entered Shepard AFB in my truck, the lady at the guard check asked me if i was carrying my concealed weapon on me. I said, "wow you can see that i have a CHL", she laughed and changed the subject. I assume they got it off the plates. Who knows, its the govt, lol.
It might be SOP for base LEOS to check their database of people permitted to drive on the base against the DPS database of CHL/LTC holders.

Or.....

It might be one of those trick questions like "do you still beat your wife", which is calculated to elicit an informative reaction for the LEO's benefit. Either answer: "I don't have a CHL" or "How did you know?" gives away your status with regard to having a license and gun on you.

(I say LEO, because I really don't know what the security personnel at your base are called.)
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:The CHL status does not show up when plates are ran. The only time it shows if it your Driver License is ran.

I know you've said this many times before Keith. However, are you saying that an officer cannot determine the driver's license number of the vehicle's registered owner, which they would then be able to determine whether or not that person had a CHL or LTC? I'd have a difficult time believing that was not possible.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

FastCarry wrote:I'd guess a BOLO. Might have been a suspicious vehicle or suspect vehicle called in.
:iagree:
I've heard it's not uncommon for BGs to swap plates with a similar vehicle to avoid being pulled over. The vehicle may have matched one they were looking for and the officer wanted to make sure the plates matched up to the actual owner of the vehicle.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

allisji

Post by allisji »

JonnySW wrote:I assumed when plates were ran it did. When i entered Shepard AFB in my truck, the lady at the guard check asked me if i was carrying my concealed weapon on me. I said, "wow you can see that i have a CHL", she laughed and changed the subject. I assume they got it off the plates. Who knows, its the govt, lol.
Perhaps they routinely ask or randomly ask entrants if they are carrying a concealed weapon. Do you remember if she asked if you were carrying "your" concealed weapon, or more simply if you "have a concealed weapon" with you.

Just because a person doesn't have a CHL, doesn't mean that they aren't concealing a handgun in their vehicle.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wag2323 »

When I took the CHL class last year. The police chief giving the class did say that they do know if the driver (registered driver) of the vehicle has a CHL before approaching the vehicle. I am assuming that it is probably because if you have who the vehicle is registered to then you could see the DL. Obviously they cant be 100% sure the registered owner is driving the car until they approach and see ID.

This topic came up when someone was asking about showing your CHL when you are not carrying.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Every time I enter at the NASJRB in Ft. Worth, I am asked the same thing. The truck that I usually enter in is registered to my company and not to me directly.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wag2323 »

Every base I have been on they typically ask the general question of "do you have any weapons on you or in your car." I have never actually driven my own vehicle on to a base, always a rental car.

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

In the last few years I have crossed into Canada multiple times and at all smaller crossings, I am asked If I have guns in the truck. This is true with Texas plates and also Oklahoma plates in a friend's truck, as well as our passports making us Texans or Okies . At smaller border crossing we have been kidded about being from Texas and not having having a gun.

My stock answer is "Would if I could."

It would not bother me if my CHL/LTC showed up when my plates are ran or the wife's either on her truck. I am always carrying and I will show DL and LTC when asked for identification--I don't plan on being in violation of any laws other than minor traffic violations. All of my interactions with Texas law enforcement, with one exception, have been pleasant and positive. That one exception resulted after talking to the officers supervisor and later the County sheriff with the officer being terminated. His abuse of power had already generated several complaints before filing mine. Because I had the time I drove immediately to the county seat and filed the complaint at the sheriff's office. The Sheriff called me that night and confirmed that action would be taken and thanked me.

Texas Law officers are generally good folks--I have close friends and a son who wear a badge in Texas and I give them praise for doing a difficult job with the best of their ability and usually a smile.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Good vibrations?

Or, from a slightly different angle, "ain't nothing in the world like a big eyed girl to make me act so funny, make me spend my money, make me feel real loose, like a long necked goose,......"
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”