Disarmed by uninformed officer

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Disarmed by uninformed officer

Post by The Annoyed Man »

oohrah wrote:Does your wife have an LTC? If not, the deputy violated the law by giving a gun to an unlicensed person. I would report the ignorant --- in any event.
MPA......as long as she immediately concealed it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 16Adams »

I apologize if asked/answered. Was this a "real" deputy or a "weekend reserve" deputy. Like a sheriffs posse member.

Smokey613
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Smokey613 »

16Adams wrote:I apologize if asked/answered. Was this a "real" deputy or a "weekend reserve" deputy. Like a sheriffs posse member.
In Texas, only full-time employed Peace Officers can legally work "extra jobs". This was changed through legislation brought on by the private security lobbyist years ago. ( There are some exceptions to this but it requires a lot of "hoops" to be jumped )

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/psb/co ... fficer.htm
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

Topic author
canvasbck
Posts in topic: 10

Post by canvasbck »

Mavs00 wrote:Yikes... What a story. I'm new to TX, but not new to carrying.

I did not see this in the OP, but once he "disarmed" you, did he clear and rendered your weapon safe, prior to handing it off to a 3rd (unknown to him) party? I presume (not mentioned in the OP) he did not check to determine your wife's LTC status, outstanding warrants or her past criminal history prior to arming her :shock: ? Based on your apprehension of him delivering an unholstered weapon to her, I'd tend to think he did not. :headscratch

I would want to report to his department, if for no other reason then he could use some serious retraining (IMO). 1 is on the law (below) itself (as has been noted), and 2 is just disregard for his own safety.

1) Leaving the methods he took aside..... If he is moonlighting as a security guard in another county other then his primary jurisdiction, Is he really acting in the "lawful discharge of the officer’s official duties". Also, was it "reasonable" for him to think that it was necessary to disarm you for everyone protection under those circumstances? The law seems pretty specific to me. Look at it this way, if some plain clothed person approaches you, flashes some tin and says "he's the law" and want's to disarm you for his/our own safety (assuming you are legally carrying)? Would you just comply? That's hyperbole of course, but still... the point remains?

2) This is just a basic safety thing to me. Why the heck would he just hand YOUR weapon to an unknown (I presume he does not know your wife) 3rd person. For all he knows, he just armed a convicted felon? Or some other person that should not, or could not be in possession of a weapon? If he did not hand it to you directly, then place it on the passenger seat where YOU can take possession of it. That's what the statue directs (see below). Seems pretty reckless to introduce a third party (that he doesn't know) into the situation that involves a potential deadly weapon??? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me (for him). It's also a violation for him to do so.

Did he ever even check your LTC status?

GC §411.207. AUTHORITY OF PEACE OFFICER TO DISARM.
(a) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer’s official duties may disarm a license holder at any time the officer reasonably believes it is necessary for the protection of the license holder, officer, or another individual. The peace
officer shall return the handgun to the license holder before discharging the license holder from the scene
if the officer determines that the license holder is not a threat to the officer, license holder, or another individual and if the license holder has not violated any provision of this subchapter or committed any other violation that results in the arrest of the license holder.
(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer’s official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a non-public, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, {snip.....}
He never cleared the weapon. That was why I requested him to put it in my holster before handing it off to my wife.

He never asked me or my wife for any ID. He never even inquired if either of us had LTC
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Jusme
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jusme »

I have been waiting to chime in on this thread. I applaud the OP for his handling of a situation where the LEO was definitely in the wrong, and this situation could have gone south quickly. The LEO'S actions should be reported not only to the Sheriff but the owner of the liquor store that employed him of duty.

I look at the big picture and if he did this to the OP, he may do the same to someone else and the situation could have very different and potentially tragic outcome. Additionally the media would have a field day and their record of getting the facts straight is dismal. All of which will give the anti-gun crowd more ammo to use against us and further try to restrict the rights of law abiding LTC holders. Please keep us updated on the outcome.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

I read through most of this thread, but may have missed something so sorry if it's been addressed.

There must be a security camera with video of this.

I'd request the video.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

:iagree:
Scott in Houston wrote:I read through most of this thread, but may have missed something so sorry if it's been addressed.

There must be a security camera with video of this.

I'd request the video.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

rentz

Post by rentz »

Thankfully everyone came out of this unharmed and you had a level head.

I've been told this exact thing by Leo's before, except this officer told me no one even an off duty officer can carry into a liquor store because of the tabc sign. This was just a friendly bull conversation with an officer one day and my new to ltc buddy started asking him carry related questions. So I was very casual and asked if he was sure because my understanding was this was unlawful / unlicensed carry not licensed or legal carry and he very sternly said I was wrong and would be arrested if I carried into a liquor store which at that point I just played along and said ah ok thanks for the info.

I understand that not every officer can know every single code and letter of every possible law but something like ltc you would assume the departments make their officers fully conversant of the laws and regulations

Abraham
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Abraham »

What would be the repercussions for all for such an arrest?

Someone mentioned earlier about ignorance of the law applying to civilians, so what about such regarding wrongful arrests by LEO's?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:What would be the repercussions for all for such an arrest?

Someone mentioned earlier about ignorance of the law applying to civilians, so what about such regarding wrongful arrests by LEO's?
Probably the DA would decide not to prosecute.
The OP would be let out of jail and every one would go home.
It is very rare for anything to happen to an LEO for making an arrest like this.
NRA Endowment Member

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

canvasbck wrote:I wasn't planning on a formal complaint. I'm the Brazoria County LEPC chairman and as such have the means to communicate directly with Sheriff Wagner.
My suggestion: pay a pop-in to Sheriff Wagner, as a courtesy. Let him know you're business in the building today is to lodge a formal complaint about the behavior one of his deputies. After that conversation and based on his reaction you can file the complaint or not.
I believe Mavs00 summed it up the best:
  1. once he "disarmed" you, did he clear and rendered your weapon safe, prior to handing it off to a 3rd (unknown to him) party?
  • did not check outstanding warrants or her past criminal history prior to arming her?
  • disregard for his own safety
  • Did he ever even check your LTC status?
Without further training the man remains a menace, a danger to himself and others. I believe that should should be formally addressed.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 7

Post by C-dub »

puma guy wrote: Yes. I read your entire post. I only responded to your statement pertaining to carrying in a liquor store and the 51% rule which is misleading. Someone may read your post and think they aren't legally allowed to do that if they are licensed which is not true. 51% signs have nothing to do with liquor stores. Adding the information from TABC website explains that a 51% sign has nothing to do with a liquor store and only applies to on premises consumption establishments hopefully may educate someone about when and where they are allowed to carry in establishments that sell and/or serve alcohol. Someone who may read your statement and think they can't carry into a liquor store with an LTC. When you or any one states
it is illegal to bring a firearm into a liquor store under the 51%provision
I will point out that it's incorrect, nothing personal. I wish you all the best
The issue, however, is that JP171 qualified it. It seems that some are not reading what preceded the part quoted above.
JP171 wrote:as the officer understood the law(no matter how wrong) it is illegal to bring a firearm into a liquor store under the 51% provision
I colored the qualifier in blue. The officer incorrectly understood it to be illegal to carry into this store under the 51% law.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Mavs00

Post by Mavs00 »

canvasbck wrote:
He never cleared the weapon. That was why I requested him to put it in my holster before handing it off to my wife.

He never asked me or my wife for any ID. He never even inquired if either of us had LTC
Oh my.... To me then... It would be irresponsible of you to NOT report his actions to his employer (law enforcement employer, not just the liquor store). Be it formally, or more low key through the other channels you have available to you. Cops have been killed for doing much less stupid things. This guy needs some personal safety re-training. For his own, and the general publics, safety.

Whether he had the authority to do so or not (I even question whether he did in the capacity that he was acting at the time), in essence, he took your loaded firearm and gave it you someone who was not involved in the initial incident and who he had no way of verifying would not present a clear and lethal danger to himself, herself or others by doing so. All without even verifying anyone's legitimate credentials or carry or have on their possession a loaded firearm. I'd be interested in hearing from any other active LEO's... Does this sound like a good idea to any one you?

Like others. I applaud you for having the level-headed presence, since you knew him to be an LEO, to just go along which quickly de-escalate this situation so no one got hurt. I sounds like it could have ended up being MUCH worse for all involved.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

WildBill,

Thanks!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

C-dub wrote:
puma guy wrote: Yes. I read your entire post. I only responded to your statement pertaining to carrying in a liquor store and the 51% rule which is misleading. Someone may read your post and think they aren't legally allowed to do that if they are licensed which is not true. 51% signs have nothing to do with liquor stores. Adding the information from TABC website explains that a 51% sign has nothing to do with a liquor store and only applies to on premises consumption establishments hopefully may educate someone about when and where they are allowed to carry in establishments that sell and/or serve alcohol. Someone who may read your statement and think they can't carry into a liquor store with an LTC. When you or any one states
it is illegal to bring a firearm into a liquor store under the 51%provision
I will point out that it's incorrect, nothing personal. I wish you all the best
The issue, however, is that JP171 qualified it. It seems that some are not reading what preceded the part quoted above.
JP171 wrote:as the officer understood the law(no matter how wrong) it is illegal to bring a firearm into a liquor store under the 51% provision
I colored the qualifier in blue. The officer incorrectly understood it to be illegal to carry into this store under the 51% law.
That wasn't the way I had interpreted it. You're right C-dub; my apologies to JP171 (PM'd). I went back to the OP and read the exchange he posted between him and the officer.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”