LEO Encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
BCGlocker
Posts in topic: 3

LEO Encounter

Post by BCGlocker »

I got pulled over by an El Paso Sheriff last week during the early afternoon at a less travelled highway. I was going 65 at a 55 zone. I read on the board that I should be courteous, mindful of the officer’s safety concerns and follow the officer’s instructions. It seemed to be a common sense response to any encounter with any LEO.

I kept my DL and LTC in an ID folder and my insurance and registration in the glove box. I rolled down the window and place both hands on the steering wheel and waited for him to approach my window.

I said good afternoon to the officer. He said good afternoon and ask me why I was in the big hurry? He told me I was going 67 at a 55-mile zone. I said, sorry sir, I was not aware I was going that fast. He then asked to see my DL, registration and proof of insurance. I handed him the DL and LTC and informed him I am a LTC holder and I am carrying. I further informed him that my insurance paper and registration is in the glove box and if it is OK to reach for them. He Ok it and I handed the documents to him. He told me to wait and took my DL, LTC , registration and proof of insurance to his cruiser. Few minutes later, he came back and issues me a warning to slow down. We then got to talk about LTC and I told him in fact I am a new LTC instructor and the reason why I was in this area was checking out a desert shooting location to teach future defensive pistol classes (LTC shooting proficiency tests are held at a local indoor range). He informed me that he wants his wife and several other family members to apply for their LTC licenses. After a few minutes of conversation, he told me to be safe and wished me a good day.

So, I can confirm what others had posted that to be polite, respectful and considerate when stopped by a LEO, the result of the encounter can be a positive one.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LEO Encounter

Post by Flightmare »

That is exactly how it is supposed to be! :tiphat:
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Exactly.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PhilBob

Post by PhilBob »

Well done!

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

Flightmare wrote:That is exactly how it is supposed to be! :tiphat:
:iagree: I have a question though. I have never heard of an LE asking for registration papers. I don't even carry them in my glove box. Insurance card and inspection docs were the only paper work I have carried and now the inspection document is passé.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

puma guy wrote:
:iagree: I have a question though. I have never heard of an LE asking for registration papers. I don't even carry them in my glove box. Insurance card and inspection docs were the only paper work I have carried and now the inspection document is passé.
The registration paper is the car registration.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Last time I was stopped a couple years ago I wasn't asked for registration. Just license and insurance, and they can look up insurance now as well I thought. I don't even have registration paperwork in my car anymore.

Other than that, yeah that is a great way to handle it.
NRA Benefactor Member

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

BCGlocker wrote:
puma guy wrote:
I think we're talking about the same thing. It's the receipt for the annual registration fee and sticker paid to your county. I just never carry it nor have I ever been asked to produce it. They can see the sticker on the windshield or check the plate number for current registration.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Mel

Post by Mel »

puma guy wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:
puma guy wrote:
I think we're talking about the same thing. It's the receipt for the annual registration fee and sticker paid to your county. I just never carry it nor have I ever been asked to produce it. They can see the sticker on the windshield or check the plate number for current registration.
Yep. No requirement to carry registration papers in Texas. The registration is right there on the windshield. Never heard of Texas LEO asking for it.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Mel wrote:
puma guy wrote:
BCGlocker wrote:
puma guy wrote:
Yep. No requirement to carry registration papers in Texas. The registration is right there on the windshield. Never heard of Texas LEO asking for it.
I was asked for it a long time ago back when we still put stickers on our license plates.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Perhaps I am just used to have all these documents together and thought he needed all of them. I know he did take the registration along with DL, CHL and insurance doc back to his car.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well done BCGlocker! :clapping:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

FYI - they usually know before getting to your window if you have insurance or not. Not always, depends if they run the plates first or the dispatcher reports back fast enough.
NRA Life Member

atx2a

Post by atx2a »

LTC or not, being polite and respectful goes a long, long way. Imagine that? Do what you're told, be polite, and there are no problems. Seems to be a lot of brutality claims could be avoided by doing exactly as you did.

Well done, OP.
Austin, TX
Speak softly and have a helluva double tap.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

BCGlocker wrote:Perhaps I am just used to have all these documents together and thought he needed all of them. I know he did take the registration along with DL, CHL and insurance doc back to his car.
You handing him all these papers reminds me of when my French brother-in-law was visiting us some years back, and he drove one of our cars into Coronado one afternoon. He must have rolled through or missed a stop or something and was pulled over. He had no idea what the officer was asking, what papers were to be handed over or where they were, so he gave him every scrap of paper in the car, little by little, very cooperatively, enthusiastically, agreeably, politely, ahh, oui! His passport, the owners manual for the car, the nav system, maybe an old Costco receipt, maybe eventually even the registration and insurance which I kept in a small black folder in the glove box. It must have been hilarious, since neither had a very good idea what the other was saying. It must have been the end of the shift, and the officer must have realized he was beating on a dead dog or something, the ends of justice had been served, and b-i-l was sent on his way, uncited. I have always wished there could have been dash cam or vest cam video of that for You-tube.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”