Breakdown

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Justin2200
Posts in topic: 4

Breakdown

Post by Justin2200 »

So over the past couple of weeks I've been dealing with some issues with my truck...and I took it out today after tossing some parts on and I broke down in Irving and had to call for a wrecker. Since I was on the street I also called for an officer to come supervise while I waited. Had my Xds on my side in an OWB belt holster (Tagua with retention). Normally it's concealed under my leather vest but I only wear that on my bike.

So the officer shows up and didn't even notice the firearm at first until I walked over to his window to ask him a question. I had my right hand well away from the holster. He said I was the first person he'd ever seen open carrying, and asked me if I've been getting grief for doing so. I explained to him that I don't really...but I also don't generally open carry in places that I don't frequent (Gun shops, shooting range, places I do business with), and that I rarely ever go places that aren't gun friendly. And of course, when I'm on my bike, my cut covers the holster so nobody can see it. We got into a little conversation about how concealed is better due to the fact that if a bad guy knows you have a gun then you become the first target. Of course he agreed with me.

What I found a little bit surprising is that he still wasn't completely familiar with the new laws. He was asking me questions about whether or not there was a separate class for open carrying. He did not know that it was the same license. But he also did not even ask to see the license, which surprised me even more. He told me that after open carry passed the entire department had some huge meeting and a lot of hoopla about it (my words not his)...and it turned out to be a non-issue. And he really didn't treat me any differently because I was carrying. It was more curiosity than concern.

So what have I learned? Be courteous of course, and if you can make the guy smile or laugh, so much the better. Also, not all our LEO's are familiar with the intricacies of the carry laws or the processes to get the license.

All in all I'd consider it a good experience. I got to educate an LEO about open carry in some small way, and perhaps he will go back and pass that on to others in his department.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Breakdown

Post by Jusme »

As a former LEO I can relate to not knowing all of the intricacies of new laws. Just trying to remember the existing laws, especially those that you don't encounter on a,regular basis is difficult. The police are no different than the general public in that rumor, misinterpretation and misinformation passed on from superiors can and do influence enforcement. New laws are not instantly printed in the penal code, policies and procedures or the uniform act, so officers have to rely on what they have been told, or read to make decisions. I learned a lot from the general public, who were often more current on new laws, to obtain information. I know that we want to believe that once something is signed into law in Austin, the info is automatically downloaded into the general knowledge of all LEOS in the state but that is very seldom the case. Most jurisdictions tried to inform everyone about the new laws, but a lot of info slipped through the cracks. And most cities and counties concentrated their educational efforts on the general public and didn't do as good a job on their own officers.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
Justin2200

Post by Justin2200 »

Oh it's definitely not any easier for the general public. Minor traffic things, for example. I had an experience a few months ago where I had taken a right turn through a parking lot on my motorcycle instead of waiting behind six cars at a red light. Was pulled over and informed that it was a city ordinance issue...which I found out later it actually wasn't...its an obscure state law preventing the use of parking lots. But that's something they don't teach in driving schools or put in the DL manuals. He knew more about the law than I did, but he didn't even completely know it himself. But I did get off with a warning on that one.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Justin2200 wrote:Oh it's definitely not any easier for the general public. Minor traffic things, for example. I had an experience a few months ago where I had taken a right turn through a parking lot on my motorcycle instead of waiting behind six cars at a red light. Was pulled over and informed that it was a city ordinance issue...which I found out later it actually wasn't...its an obscure state law preventing the use of parking lots. But that's something they don't teach in driving schools or put in the DL manuals. He knew more about the law than I did, but he didn't even completely know it himself. But I did get off with a warning on that one.
It's called cutting across a parking lot to avoid a traffic control device. Never wrote it, but made several stops for it.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Justin2200 wrote:Oh it's definitely not any easier for the general public. Minor traffic things, for example. I had an experience a few months ago where I had taken a right turn through a parking lot on my motorcycle instead of waiting behind six cars at a red light. Was pulled over and informed that it was a city ordinance issue...which I found out later it actually wasn't...its an obscure state law preventing the use of parking lots. But that's something they don't teach in driving schools or put in the DL manuals. He knew more about the law than I did, but he didn't even completely know it himself. But I did get off with a warning on that one.
May not be taught or in the handbook now. However, it sure was in the early 70s. By the way, do you think your time is more important than those 6 folks in the cars?

Topic author
Justin2200

Post by Justin2200 »

Jusme wrote:
It's called cutting across a parking lot to avoid a traffic control device. Never wrote it, but made several stops for it.
Live and learn. I went home and looked into the laws myself and found out I was in the wrong. I'm not afraid to admit that, and I don't do it anymore.

WTR...it's not necessarily a matter of time being more important..it's more about using a vehicle that doesn't have a cooling system on it. I've had a lot of folks also tell me that it's okay to run the shoulder in traffic if you're doing less than 30...and I did some research on that, it's completely bogus...but it leaves me shutting off my bike on a freeway in traffic. Shut it off or overheat it and potentially wreck some stuff in the motor.

As I said. I did not realize it was a violation. Now that I know, I don't do it. I've learned to avoid that intersection completely! The road work and the new traffic pattern has it always backed up...and the light only lets 2-3 cars through at a time.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Justin, no disrespect. One of my pet pieces is motorcycles and bicycles cutting in and out. (Especially bycicles) I live in West TX and I have ridden quit a few cycles ( mainly dirt admititly). I have never experience an over heating problem

Topic author
Justin2200

Post by Justin2200 »

Well..it's a completely different beast than a Harley Davidson at a standstill. 100% air cooled 1600cc motor. And this particular one gets so dang hot it will burn me through leather chaps and a layer of denim if I'm not moving. It's definitely a cruiser and too slow to cut in and out of traffic like most of the street bikers.

But I digress. It seems I've led the conversation far away from the main topic lol. I'd be more than happy to continue in private or in a more appropriate forum.

As far as my contact today, as unfortunate as it was having a frustrating breakdown, I cannot complain one bit about the officer who was supervising the scene. It was a good encounter as far as carrying is concerned. He asked questions, and we had a good little chat waiting for the tow truck to get there. I hope they are all as pleasant.

nimravus01
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nimravus01 »

Justin2200 wrote:
/snip: But I digress. It seems I've led the conversation far away from the main topic lol. I'd be more than happy to continue in private or in a more appropriate forum.
I would be interested in joining in to discuss this further if y'all are. Perhaps in the "off topic" forum?

mayor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mayor »

WTR wrote:By the way, do you think your time is more important than those 6 folks in the cars?
don't be silly, of course it is. I only have 24 hours in a day (well, 25 if i skip lunch).

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”