Denton Co Sheriff Deputy Mundo

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LAYGO
Posts in topic: 3

Denton Co Sheriff Deputy Mundo

Post by LAYGO »

I had a a lil booboo driving across the Lewisville Lake Toll Bridge.Heading west is ALWAYS a bad idea to be speeding as Lake Dallas is there at the end of the bridge waiting to line their coffers. Well, I was heading east & thinking nothing of it. I've seen some stops just off the east end of the bridge, but I've never seen an officer in wait.

I was just engaged in conversation with my SO & I typically always speed up on the bridge as there is no way for police to 'hide' to get you speeding. Well, I finally saw the Deputy at the east end facing west in the center turn lane, but it was too late. I didn't even know what my speed was, but I got on the brakes and got to the 45mph limit coming off the bridge.

He started moving when I was near him & I said out loud, he's either coming for me or leaving. That's when he swung the Tahoe around sharply & hit the lights. Well, guess that answers that, but I still wasn't sure with 2 other vehicles behind me & that had him stuck from completing the turn. The first available side road I passed because I wasn't sure. After that point, it's probably 3/4 of a mile to the next safe spot as there are no shoulders on this stretch of El Dorado & I typically look for a way to NOT put the officers in danger.

When he got behind me & stayed behind me, I knew I was done. I turned on my hazards & maintained a reasonable pace until that next side road. I pulled over immediately & rolled my window down, stuck my arm out the window & other on the steering wheel. I did not reach for any documents before coming to a stop.

"Hello, I'm Deputy Mundo, can I see your license and insurance?"

"Yes sir" (I hesitated here, because I usually announce it's in my left front pocket, but I just didn't say anything)

I reached into my pocket, retrieved my wallet, & handed him my DL/LTC. He looked at the LTC very briefly, handed it back immediately.

"Are you armed?"

"Yes sir"

"Do you have your insurance card?"

"Not printed"

"Ok, I can check that on my computer. Do you know what the speed limit is on the bridge?"

"Um, 55?"

"No, it's 50, you were clocked going a lil fast at 68." (well, poop)

"Understood" (or something along those lines)

"Tell you what, I'll go check everything, if it comes back ok, I'll let you off with a warning. That ok?" (um, heck ya)

"Yes sir"

"Ok, be right back" (he walks away)

My SO immediately goes "how come you get a warning?!?" (She got a speeding ticket a week prior in San Angelo hauling butt to try to make a midnight check in at a hotel in Austin, 80 in a 70. She has her LTC as well.)

"I guess I'm cuter, but next pay check I REALLY need to get my (really expensive) radar detector installed ASAP."

(Deputy Mundo starts walking back with a clipboard & pen. Oh no)

"Sir, this is just a warning and not an admission of guilt. Sign here please"

"Yes sir." (signs)

"Here is your copy, thank you for your courtesy, drive safe, & have a nice day"

"Thank you sir"

Recounting/typing the conversation seemed to take longer than the actual stop did. My tone of voice was calm and defeated. I knew I was due, I'm good for one about every 2yrs. I even told myself this on the way to Austin last week. My last ticket was heading east on this very bridge.
Last edited by LAYGO on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Denton Co Sheriff Deputy Mundo

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Courtesy makes life a little easier, particularly when one or both parties might be armed.

Great job, Laygo and Deputy Mundo.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

I was talking to my wife about this yesterday after dropping our children off at Pine Cove.

The last time I was pulled over, I wasn't rude but not as respectful as I always am, but I got off with a warning.

Anyways, I spoke with her about how things were taught to me and her in our LTC Class and how it was in my and the officers best interest if I did exactly as you did. If I am respectful and don't give them a reason to be worried or concerned we can both get home safely.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

Courtesy to LEO's is my policy!

Since moving to TX and getting my LTC, I'm working on being more courteous to everyone - just because you don't know who's packin' heat! (And it's just good manners..thanks Mom!).
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

MikeyJ

Post by MikeyJ »

koine2002 wrote:FYI, for insurance information, since 2013, you can carry digital proof of financial responsibility on a wireless mobile device (phone/tablet). I use my insurance company's app for it. The law specifically says that using that means of showing proof of liability insurance is not a justification or allowance for the officer to search the phone other than to view the proof of financial responsibility.
And you can take a screen shot of the app with your insurance info and store it as a photo. Comes in handy if you're in an area with bad cell coverage or if you can't remember your login. :???:

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I'm so far from perfect (ask my wife) it hurts, so please don't take this as preachy.

Consider driving the speed limit. 100 miles at 80 MPH saves 11 minutes over the same trip at 70 MPH. To me, 11 minutes more to think and ponder is like money in the bank.

Also, it's not just whether or not you are safely in control of your vehicle, it's what the other guy is going to expect of you.

Yeah, yeah, you think I drive like a little old lady, but I've got a wild side, too. Got a speeding ticket back in the 70's, and then a second one about five years ago. I'm looking forward to my third ticket. I'd like to live that long. :biggrinjester:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

treadlightly is correct.

Speeding doesn't get you where you're going significantly quicker than going the speed limit.

Some of the benefits: You won't get speeding tickets - You up the safety factor - If you do crash it'll probably be less damaging/life threatening - It's easier on your car/tires - Others on the road are safer

There's more, but you get the picture

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Abraham wrote:treadlightly is correct.

Speeding doesn't get you where you're going significantly quicker than going the speed limit.

Some of the benefits: You won't get speeding tickets - You up the safety factor - If you do crash it'll probably be less damaging/life threatening - It's easier on your car/tires - Others on the road are safer

There's more, but you get the picture
I totally agree. :clapping:

Topic author
LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I am in a constant battle with my car. It want's to speed. Here is a video of me TRYING to keep it from going fast, standing on the brake, but I just can barely control it!

S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

treadlightly wrote:I'm so far from perfect (ask my wife) it hurts, so please don't take this as preachy.

Consider driving the speed limit. 100 miles at 80 MPH saves 11 minutes over the same trip at 70 MPH. To me, 11 minutes more to think and ponder is like money in the bank.

Also, it's not just whether or not you are safely in control of your vehicle, it's what the other guy is going to expect of you.

Yeah, yeah, you think I drive like a little old lady, but I've got a wild side, too. Got a speeding ticket back in the 70's, and then a second one about five years ago. I'm looking forward to my third ticket. I'd like to live that long. :biggrinjester:
:iagree: I wish everyone exceeding the speed limit in DFW area would slow down! When I'm going 70 in traffic and someone flies past me weaving in and out of traffic I always wonder if they have any idea the effect they are having on other motorists?
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

bblhd672 wrote: :iagree: I wish everyone exceeding the speed limit in DFW area would slow down! When I'm going 70 in traffic and someone flies past me weaving in and out of traffic I always wonder if they have any idea the effect they are having on other motorists?
One of my hot buttons!

An experiment worth trying - estimate how many cars per minute pass a spot on the road when traffic is heavy but running free and 70 MPH. Now count how many cars per minute pass that same spot when traffic is running 5 MPH.

It seems to me the number is about the same. It's like a road has a certain bandwidth. Cars can go 75 or crawl, about the same number get through every hour, no matter how long it takes any individual traveler.

I'm certain that if every driver in Dallas woke up tomorrow with the notion they would maintain reasonable following distance, avoiding the accordion effect where traffic for miles squeezes up if one driver hits his brake abruptly, everyone would get to work quicker. Particularly those who got to work without the help of a tow truck.

On that dark, dreadful day when cars are all automated, we'll at least have quicker commutes. Cold algorithms won't mind slowing down for more efficient use of a road.

And no doubt our machines will offer endless benefits as human judgement becomes obsolete.

Yep, one day you're tailgating, the next you've been rendered at a Soylent Green plant, all because you ripped the label off a mattress as a kid and started the whole avalanche.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

LAYGO wrote:I am in a constant battle with my car. It want's to speed. Here is a video of me TRYING to keep it from going fast, standing on the brake, but I just can barely control it!

How often do you have to replace your rear tires and brakes?

I haven't done that sincevi was a teenager and I went through a brand new set of tires in about 6 months. My dad bought the first set for me for my birthday. I had to buy the replacements. I changed my driving habits considerably after that.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

mojo84 wrote:
LAYGO wrote:I am in a constant battle with my car. It want's to speed. Here is a video of me TRYING to keep it from going fast, standing on the brake, but I just can barely control it!

How often do you have to replace your rear tires and brakes?

I haven't done that sincevi was a teenager and I went through a brand new set of tires in about 6 months. My dad bought the first set for me for my birthday. I had to buy the replacements. I changed my driving habits considerably after that.
Those were the tires on the car when I bought it. They were being intentionally destroyed as I had the replacement tires sitting in my garage and their time was done. Notice the title of the video being "End of Rotation"?

I got thru tires about the same as everyone, depending on the tire compound of course: about every 2yrs. These are moderately expensive tires, costing about $1000/set. I drive a lot. I put almost 24k miles on my car in the first year. This 2014 CTS-V replaced my 2006 CTS-V:

CMMG AR15 w/ACOG

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I didn't make the connection with the end of rotation title. I would really enjoy having some fun like that but think I am scarred for life. My dad made quite the impression on me.

I figured those tires were pretty expensive.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”