Texas State Capitol, my first visit ever.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LAYGO
Posts in topic: 1

Texas State Capitol, my first visit ever.

Post by LAYGO »

So, last week, I was in Austin with my SO as she was taking a State Board oral exam. After her successful completion of the test, we had time to kill, so we decided we'd go see the Capitol. After reading here, knowing about the "other" line for LTC folks, I wanted to see what the hubbub was about. I explained to my SO about it & made sure she had her LTC on her.

We entered the east entrance & there was NO ONE in line. I quickly surveyed the signs to determine which line I was to approach, read the sign for "Concealed Carriers here" (or something). Started walking towards that sign when one of the security staff starts speaking to me.

"Sir! Over here!"

"No, I'm in the right line."

(very loudly in the echoy long hall) "OHH! YOU'RE CONCEALED!"

SO: "well, so much for being discreet"

At this time, the Trooper starts approaching us, we hand him our DL/LTC. He's fiddling with some wires & moving the scanner around. Takes my LTC, starts swiping, swiping, swiping, swiping, swiping. No luck. Goes to manually enter the info.

Takes my SO's LTC, swipe. Done.

SO: "Well, guess it didn't like your card"

I forget what prompted me, but I something about resident/non-resident came up and I asked the Trooper "cannot out of state carriers carry in the Capitol?"

"Nope, must be a Texas resident." (Hmmm, wonder why?)

"Well, thank you sir" & we proceeded to walk around the capitol. It was pretty cool.

My SO had to step aside as the post test jitters were still getting to her anxiety & it got me to thinking. I NEVER ever even consider open carrying, but I was asking myself if I had to take my shirt off & expose my gun/undershirt to help my SO, would I still be ok? Shortly after the thought, a Trooper was walking near me & I asked him I could ask him something.

"Are you allowed to open carry inside the Capitol?"

"So long as you have your license, you are." he said very pleasantly, even with a smile.

"Thank you sir"

"No problem!"

He seemed very entertained by the interaction & walked off without even so much as a backwards glance. I almost open carried simply because I could & just because . . . TEXAS! The rebellious side of me wanted to do it for kicks & walk near the girl scout troop that was touring the Capitol. The smarter side of me prevailed though & I kept concealed.

As I'm thinking back about this event, this was not even 36hrs since the Dallas ambush. It wasn't even in my thoughts as we were so focused on getting my SO through her test.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

ELB

Re: Texas State Capitol, my first visit ever.

Post by ELB »

LAYGO wrote: ...
I forget what prompted me, but I something about resident/non-resident came up and I asked the Trooper "cannot out of state carriers carry in the Capitol?"

"Nope, must be a Texas resident." (Hmmm, wonder why?)

I always wondered about this.
USAF 1982-2005

casp625

Post by casp625 »

I was OC at the Capitol a few weeks back without any issues. Trooper scanned me in and I went about my merry way.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Hmm, both my wife and I entered (scanned) and carried on our out of state Texas CHLs (at the time). I wonder if he meant it couldn't be an out of state license issued by another state?
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

If you're carrying on a Utah license, I'd be very surprised if the Capitol cops could swipe it and validate it.
Would probably require a call to Utah DPS and a potential long delay.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Mavs00

Post by Mavs00 »

I live near and work in Austin... been to the capital several times (busy and slow times) armed. It gives me a great feeling strolling through the capital enjoying my constitutional rights. Kinda feels like Freedom. :txflag:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”