Texas Capitol - State Trooper Contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas Capitol - State Trooper Contact

Post by Jusme »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:My only issues with the process at the state capitol is that you are required to show your license at all, and that they insist on scanning it. I thought that LEO's could only ask for the LTC if they had reasonable suspicion that a crime was being committed, not just because you are carrying a gun.

But in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, as long as it doesn't spread to other locations.

It's done by the DPS the same agency that issues LTC, it's just a verification process. I like the fact that it, for once, puts LTC holders into the "express lane" :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

tornado

Post by tornado »

My only issue was that I couldn't take my 10yo through the express line with me. He was in a rush to get to a restroom, so I went through the express and waited for him while my mom stood in line with him for the metal detectors. He went through before her, and I took over the rest of the relay.

It was a longish line, so I had hoped they could just wand him. I know there would have to be some age cut-off if they allowed a tag-along, but if I were alone and carrying an infant (and a handgun), could I not go in?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Jusme wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:My only issues with the process at the state capitol is that you are required to show your license at all, and that they insist on scanning it. I thought that LEO's could only ask for the LTC if they had reasonable suspicion that a crime was being committed, not just because you are carrying a gun.

But in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, as long as it doesn't spread to other locations.

It's done by the DPS the same agency that issues LTC, it's just a verification process. I like the fact that it, for once, puts LTC holders into the "express lane" :thumbs2:
It's also the same agency that issues drivers licenses, but a State Trooper is not allowed to pull over everyone driving a car just to verify that they have a valid DL. Like I said, not a huge issue, but on principal not something that should be happening IMHO.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

tornado wrote:My only issue was that I couldn't take my 10yo through the express line with me. He was in a rush to get to a restroom, so I went through the express and waited for him while my mom stood in line with him for the metal detectors. He went through before her, and I took over the rest of the relay.

It was a longish line, so I had hoped they could just wand him. I know there would have to be some age cut-off if they allowed a tag-along, but if I were alone and carrying an infant (and a handgun), could I not go in?

I don't know, I would think that since you are definitely legal to carry, that a child with you would be exempted, after all, you are providing the proper documentation. I don't see what danger there would be in letting a child go through. (maybe an issue to take up with our representatives?)
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JALLEN »

In this age where cheating is the national pastime and forgery relatively easy, I'd be surprised if they would just take your word for it. It can't take more than a second or two.

Sooner or later someone will come up with a child, alone and want to go through the express lane. I wonder what they'll do.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Posts in topic: 1

Post by 869 »

ELB wrote: When the USAF brought me to Texas in 1998 I had already made up my mind to stay, and there was still that 6-month wait for CHLs required for new residents. I scurried down the DPS office to get my DL so I could register to vote, establish residence etc. I had an old DL from Indiana that used an even older picture on it, but my hair had already matured considerably in the mean time. The gal at the counter filled in my form for me, I guess directly to the computer, and she asked me my hair color:

I said "Distinguished."

She didn't even crack a smile, just flicked an eye at me and typed in "Gray."

Those license branch people have no sense of compassion or humor at all.
Ha. My grandfather once proudly told the lady working the counter at DPS that he was "five foot eleven and a half." She didn't look up but muttered "we don't use half inches" and carried on processing his license. He later looked at the license and, sure enough, she just rounded up. Height: 5 FT 12 IN.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

They allowed my 11 year old granddaughter to walk in with me last June.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

tornado

Post by tornado »

twomillenium wrote:They allowed my 11 year old granddaughter to walk in with me last June.
The visit in my story was Dec 2015.

ELB

Post by ELB »

869 wrote:
Ha. My grandfather once proudly told the lady working the counter at DPS that he was "five foot eleven and a half." She didn't look up but muttered "we don't use half inches" and carried on processing his license. He later looked at the license and, sure enough, she just rounded up. Height: 5 FT 12 IN.
"rlol"
USAF 1982-2005

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Texas Troopers tend to be good people, I've always had positive experiences with them :cheers2:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

It's also the same agency that issues drivers licenses, but a State Trooper is not allowed to pull over everyone driving a car just to verify that they have a valid DL. Like I said, not a huge issue, but on principal not something that should be happening IMHO.
Correct, but driver's license checkpoints that stop every driver to verify a license are constitutional. The LTC line at the Capitol is a checkpoint, not a random stop.

Chas.

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Correct, but driver's license checkpoints that stop every driver to verify a license are constitutional. The LTC line at the Capitol is a checkpoint, not a random stop.

Chas.

Maybe we should just institute drivers license check points on roads leading to polling locations then.
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JALLEN »

TexasTornado wrote:

Maybe we should just institute drivers license check points on roads leading to polling locations then.
What about passenger licenses then?

You could show up in a van load of a dozen dead Democrats, show your license and be ready for business. That may be how they do it now, but the driver doesn't need a license. :mrgreen:
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

TexasTornado wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Chas.

But then how would illegal immigrants cast their vote? :biggrinjester:

I haven't encountered checkpoints that are solely to check for valid driver's licenses. The few I have encountered were looking for higher level criminals like illegal immigrants or drunk drivers. Charles raises a great point on the distinction between an enforcement checkpoint and random stops, though.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Jusme wrote:

Chas.

But then how would illegal immigrants cast their vote? :biggrinjester:

I haven't encountered checkpoints that are solely to check for valid driver's licenses. The few I have encountered were looking for higher level criminals like illegal immigrants or drunk drivers. Charles raises a great point on the distinction between an enforcement checkpoint and random stops, though.
I don't recall ever being stopped in a checkpoint looking for a driver's license and I've been driving for a LOOOOONG time! Something tells me they only exist close to the border.

Chas.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”