Carry insurance card in vehicle - bad idea?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 2

Carry insurance card in vehicle - bad idea?

Post by SA-TX »

Hello LEOs,

After reading a thread about a member having has truck broken into at DFW airport, this thought occurred to me (as my car is at DFW right now): is it a wise idea to have paperwork with your home address on it in the vehicle? Would it be less risky to only carry it in a wallet/purse.

What do you do/what would you advise?

Thanks in advance and thank you for your service! :tiphat:

SA-TX
Last edited by SA-TX on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carry insurance card in vehicle - bad idea?

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Not an LEO, but I do not keep my insurance in the car, it's in my wallet. Same with the wife, I dont want someone to break in, find a home address and then get a garage door opener to take to that address myself...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Not an LEO, but I do not keep my insurance in the car, it's in my wallet. Same with the wife, I dont want someone to break in, find a home address and then get a garage door opener to take to that address myself...
Exactly my concern (as a garage door opener sits attached to my sun visor, in my car, at DFW). Sigh.

SA-TX

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Not an LEO, but I do not keep my insurance in the car, it's in my wallet. Same with the wife, I dont want someone to break in, find a home address and then get a garage door opener to take to that address myself...
Ditto, mine is in my wallet, because it covers me in any vehicle I drive.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I keep a photo-copy of my insurance card on my phone.

Don't forget that all those oil change receipts you keep in the glove box also very likely have your home address on them.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Jusme wrote:
Hmm. Mine is not a card. 5"x8.5" (about a half-sheet) and is specific to one vehicle. I have one for each vehicle. I am covered in any vehicle, it's just my proof of insurance is for one vehicle.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

jmorris wrote:
Jusme wrote:
Hmm. Mine is not a card. 5"x8.5" (about a half-sheet) and is specific to one vehicle. I have one for each vehicle. I am covered in any vehicle, it's just my proof of insurance is for one vehicle.

I haven't had to show my insurance in a while since it is available to LEO on their computers. I also have a photo of my insurance info on my phone, on the off chance that I lose/forget my wallet one day. Mine lists all three of my vehicles and my policy covers me in any vehicle I drive (within the U.S)
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

With technology now adays I have it on my phone as well as my goggle drive.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I was advised by a LEO many years ago and another friend that had their vehicle stolen, that it was a bad idea to keep insurance papers or anything else with your address and any personal information in your vehicle. Some reasons are obvious and more of an issue now with identity theft and all, but for some, if your vehicle is stolen it will be a bit more difficult to contact your insurance company to report it stolen without the phone number on the paper. Not everyone puts that number into their phone. Nor do many also put their policy number in their phone and instead rely on it being there on the paper that is now in their stolen vehicle.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

lildave40 wrote:With technology now adays I have it on my phone as well as my goggle drive.
I do have a pdf of it on my phone, I was just pointing out mine was not a "card" and was specific to a vehicle. The pdf has both cars.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glockster »

All of which begs the question as to when TX is going to join many other states in simplifying the sizing. I have a SUV for which I have a registration receipt that is 8.5x11". And I tow a trailer, same size registration receipt. And my Progressive insurance "card" is 5.5x8". I simply don't have room in my wallet for that. Why oh why can't we simply go to all electronic, or something significantly smaller.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

Glockster wrote:All of which begs the question as to when TX is going to join many other states in simplifying the sizing. I have a SUV for which I have a registration receipt that is 8.5x11". And I tow a trailer, same size registration receipt. And my Progressive insurance "card" is 5.5x8". I simply don't have room in my wallet for that. Why oh why can't we simply go to all electronic, or something significantly smaller.
I do not believe you are required to carry the registration receipt, unless it is a commercial vehicle (my memory may be failing me). The sticker itself is proof (windshield sticker on vehicle and sticker on plate of trailer). :tiphat:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

lildave40 wrote:With technology now adays I have it on my phone as well as my goggle drive.
Does that make it easier to see? :biggrinjester:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

I have in my glovebox in all my vehicles but have the mobile app that has it all

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”