Carry insurance card in vehicle - bad idea?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Carry insurance card in vehicle - bad idea?

Post by Glockster »

PUCKER wrote:
Glockster wrote:All of which begs the question as to when TX is going to join many other states in simplifying the sizing. I have a SUV for which I have a registration receipt that is 8.5x11". And I tow a trailer, same size registration receipt. And my Progressive insurance "card" is 5.5x8". I simply don't have room in my wallet for that. Why oh why can't we simply go to all electronic, or something significantly smaller.
I do not believe you are required to carry the registration receipt, unless it is a commercial vehicle (my memory may be failing me). The sticker itself is proof (windshield sticker on vehicle and sticker on plate of trailer). :tiphat:

That only works for anyplace that doesn't require showing a copy of your registration inside at a security desk. They don't come outside to check stickers.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JALLEN »

Glockster wrote:
PUCKER wrote:
Glockster wrote:All of which begs the question as to when TX is going to join many other states in simplifying the sizing. I have a SUV for which I have a registration receipt that is 8.5x11". And I tow a trailer, same size registration receipt. And my Progressive insurance "card" is 5.5x8". I simply don't have room in my wallet for that. Why oh why can't we simply go to all electronic, or something significantly smaller.
I do not believe you are required to carry the registration receipt, unless it is a commercial vehicle (my memory may be failing me). The sticker itself is proof (windshield sticker on vehicle and sticker on plate of trailer). :tiphat:

That only works for anyplace that doesn't require showing a copy of your registration inside at a security desk. They don't come outside to check stickers.
Which places are those? I don't have any printed proof of registration AFAIK, and never been asked for such.

The two cars we brought when we moved were registered at the same time. The second year, I went down, got the stickers and put them on the windshields of the wrong car. This was discovered when I took them in for inspection the following year.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Glockster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Glockster »

JALLEN wrote:
Glockster wrote:
PUCKER wrote:

Which places are those? I don't have any printed proof of registration AFAIK, and never been asked for such.

The two cars we brought when we moved were registered at the same time. The second year, I went down, got the stickers and put them on the windshields of the wrong car. This was discovered when I took them in for inspection the following year.
You should have a printed copy of your registration as when you registered or renewed and got your sticker, the sheet that the sticker came off of is your proof of registration and it has everything that is needed to prove registration (VIN, title/record, sticker #, plate #).

Any Federal compound that clears access that I've been to requires that they see the actual registration of the vehicle that is entering the compound, and of course insurance and DL. So you must have either your registration or you must present a rental agreement if it is a rental.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Tass

Post by Tass »

I know the response is late, but in the 80's we had our Suburban stolen from a parking lot (in a church lot that was overflow parking for elementary school next door). The SO deputy who took the report asked specifically if we had our insurance card in the vehicle; we did. He then told us that we will probably be hit again once we replaced the truck. He said thieves would come back around to the address on the card and steal the replacement. 1 week after we had the new one, it was also broken into. This one came with a kill switch, so only had to replace a window.

Lesson learned. Keep the insurance card in the wallet.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up"

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Excellent advise to NOT keep anything in the vehicle that will identify who you are or where you live. Even if they do not steal your vehicle they also look for future opportunities. We have reports all the time of suspicious persons walking through a parking lot, especially Wally World trying car doors to find one unlocked. Thieves are very opportunistic. Another thing, we have information that they also target 30.06/30.07 locations looking for vehicles with gun related stickers as there is a high probability there may be a handgun left in the vehicle. Just some "food for thought".
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

we were broken into when we lived in CO Springs, it was a "ring" type of group. They would break into a car at a church or a gym, find either a piece of junk mail or an insurance car, take what they wanted from the car plus a garage door opener; then go to the house and go through. Ours was on Easter Sunday. Our Cars are now kept pretty empty and the door through the garage to the house is kept locked with a deadbolt at all times.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Does the law still require you to have a card. Last time I was stopped and again when I registered my truck, they just handed back by insurance card and said they already knew I was insured. I assume the Insurance companies reports to DPS?
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

To be really secure though, I'd have to eliminate everything in the vehicle with my name on it. Because I do show up in the county appraisal database. Plus, the dmv will tell you who owns a license plate for a fee......

Guess I need to create a corporation, transfer the house to it, and have the corporation rent it back to me for $1 per year. :eek6
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I have it in my car with my registration receipt in my visor. My handgun is in the glove box. So what? Most criminals are stupid. If they are so smart to go to the trouble of breaking into my car to find my home address, they could just look it up from the plate number. Either way they take the chance that my house is not occupied just because one of my cars is parked somewhere...? :???:

Seems like they could just drive through a neighborhood and look for unoccupied houses... The lowlifes that are breaking into houses to steal stuff to pawn are probably many cards short of a full deck. Lock your doors, set your alarm, and keep a gun handy while you're at home... :roll:

Since I got a new Jeep that I intend to keep the top off in the summer I may get a lockbox welded to the frame for valuables I want to leave in it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Mel

Post by Mel »

Another small hint that I've not seen here is your GPS. Don't put your "home" address in the GPS. Input an intersection within a few blocks of you home.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”