TX DPS Trooper

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 4

TX DPS Trooper

Post by parabelum »

Was on my way to work this morning, running tad bit late and with a heavy foot consequently.

Few miles from my house I passed by a trooper, running little faster then I should have been :nono:

As soon as I passed him, I got lit up (rightfully so), and stopped. Had my seatbelt still on, rolled my window down, removed my sunglasses, hands on the steering wheel.

Trooper approached from driver side, and informed me why I was being stopped. Very courteous and professional demeanor. I handed my DL over along with my CHL. Informed him about my gun and its location. He asked that I not reach for it, took my DL (handed my CHL back), and walked to his car.

About 3 minutes later he came back, wrote me a warning and asked me to slow down, in a professional manner.

I thanked him and off I went, all together about 7-10 minute traffic stop altogether.

Moral of the story, being courteous and honest (I did not try to downplay my speeding) pays off.

Also, in the last 12 years, I have gotten pulled over maybe 4 times by TX DPS. I've never had issues with any trooper, they always demonstrated professionalism and courtesy.

:txflag:

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TX DPS Trooper

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I've always been honest when getting pulled over and my result is the same. And I do slow down, until a few years later when I'm in a hurry for some reason.

good to hear
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

My last interaction with a LEO was because of an outdated inspection sticker. I was guilty and I knew it. I did as you did and handed him my credentials and he wrote me a ticket. Traffic stop would have definitely been within the 7-10 minute range had he not been interested in what I carried... which led to another 20-30 minute conversation about firearms, what I carried, what he carried off duty, his favorite rifle, my AR... etc. Even though I got a ticket (which I definitely deserved) it was an awesome interaction with LE. I like it when I can lighten the load of an officer's day with casual conversation. I know they deal with less than happy people 90% of the time.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bblhd672 »

It's so much easier when you're in the wrong and know it to accept your punishment rather than argue or otherwise give the LEO a hard time, especially if you're a "good guy or gal".

Every positive interaction between LEO's and LTC's works for our benefit.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Absolutely. And if you feel wronged, dispute on the side of the road is never good choice for anyone. Time and place for everything...

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I am always polite and courteous while not admitting guilt. Usually its a "do you know why I stopped you" followed by me saying no and ending relatively quickly with a warning or ticket.

The interactions that go downhill are when the officers starts with "so where are you headed", then "why are you going there"..... usually leading up to a request for a roadside search of my vehicle. I am still polite, but firm, in those interactions as well.

rotor

Post by rotor »

It has been 57 years since I got a speeding ticket. It was not a warm-fuzzy LEO encounter with socializing after the ticket. The LEO might have been part of the Gestapo in a prior life. But that was in Los Angeles.

Almost 20 years ago when I kept a car at our lake house my daughter was driving it to the dealer to get an updated inspection sticker and I was following her in another car. Yes the lake car had expired. Technically though, what else does one do but take it to get another sticker? My daughter was stopped by DPS and he must have been in the same mold of the LEO that stopped me 57 years ago. He was not a nice courteous person and this was not a nice fuzzy-warm experience. He was so obnoxious to my daughter that I ended up making a formal complaint and just getting his name was almost impossible. It was an expired sticker, not a bank robbery and we were doing the right thing to get it renewed.

So I know how to react if I am stopped by police and I do respect them at their job but they are not all heart warming experiences. I imagine that if I were dark skinned things might have even been much worse. I don't even know why people post these "I was guilty and he was so nice to me" posts. Each LEO is different and you either get a ticket or a warning, maybe dependent on whether he had a fight with his wife the night before. I certainly would not admit to speeding if I were stopped and would not consent to a search. I am not spending 20 minutes talking about my AR-15. Many of these "speed traps" are set up to get the unwary driver and to make money for the city. AAA triptiks used to warn of there location. Closest to me seems to be Decatur. Smart thing, use your speed control and just not speed. I would be courteous, etc. I am not interested in new friendship be LEO stops.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Parabelum, You should have reminded him who pays his salary and asked him how many real crimes he was ignoring in order to harass you. :mrgreen:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Yes, now that I think about it, I should have just turned my camera on, whipped my Constitution out, and given him schooling on how to do his job properly. :biggrinjester:

Just kidding of course.

Topic author
parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Rotor,

I can definitely get the frustration that a "less then optimal" LE encounter would deliver. As LTC holder though, I do go out of my way, to be extra polite, since my interaction with LEO would undoubtedly impact how that LEO would approach a CHL'er next time.

If I feel wronged, I'd just bring it up somewhere that's not on side of the road.

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasTornado »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I am always polite and courteous while not admitting guilt. Usually its a "do you know why I stopped you" followed by me saying no and ending relatively quickly with a warning or ticket.

The interactions that go downhill are when the officers starts with "so where are you headed", then "why are you going there"..... usually leading up to a request for a roadside search of my vehicle. I am still polite, but firm, in those interactions as well.
:iagree:

When I do get caught speeding I take my lumps with a smile. I usually have enough advanced warning to slow down but every once in a while :smash:

All but one encounter I've been told "I don't need this" when I handed over my CHL. The one outlier asked if I had the weapon with me and then instructed me "just leave it where it is and we'll be ok."

He was very courteous and efficient in writing my warning and I wasn't even late to work!

I have only ever had one bad interaction with LE, in which they requested permission to search my car. It was the first and last time permission will ever be granted without the condition that they put EVERYTHING back as they found it. They just piled the stuff from my glove box and center console all into my backseat. Grrrr :mad5
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

parabelum wrote:Yes, now that I think about it, I should have just turned my camera on, whipped my Constitution out, and given him schooling on how to do his job properly. :biggrinjester:

Just kidding of course.
And then prepare for your cavity search! :cryin
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor

Post by rotor »

parabelum wrote:Rotor,

I can definitely get the frustration that a "less then optimal" LE encounter would deliver. As LTC holder though, I do go out of my way, to be extra polite, since my interaction with LEO would undoubtedly impact how that LEO would approach a CHL'er next time.

If I feel wronged, I'd just bring it up somewhere that's not on side of the road.
I agree and I took it up with his supervisor but getting his info was like pulling teeth.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

TexasTornado wrote:

I have only ever had one bad interaction with LE, in which they requested permission to search my car. It was the first and last time permission will ever be granted without the condition that they put EVERYTHING back as they found it. They just piled the stuff from my glove box and center console all into my backseat. Grrrr :mad5
I believe in being polite and helpful, but I can't think of any positive result in giving an officer permission to search myself and my vehicle. If they are intent on searching, they will search, but never with outright permission. Although physically interfering isn't a great Idea, I don't know of any reason to give them permission.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasTornado
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasTornado »

Liberty wrote:
TexasTornado wrote:

I believe in being polite and helpful, but I can't think of any positive result in giving an officer permission to search myself and my vehicle. If they are intent on searching, they will search, but never with outright permission. Although physically interfering isn't a great Idea, I don't know of any reason to give them permission.
Being 16 and stupid?
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”