Know Your Target and What's Beyond

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Know Your Target and What's Beyond

Post by Keith B »

Oops!!

US Park Police officer shoots self in foot trying to fight off raccoon attack

http://www.fox4news.com/news/215581828-story

The raccoon was dispatched by another officer
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

twomillenium

Re: Know Your Target and What's Beyond

Post by twomillenium »

They certainly will be hearing for the RLM movement.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Jeff B.

Post by Jeff B. »

Hey now, raccoons can be tough customers...

A long while back, while living outside of Chi-Town (Will County) we heard our trash cans rattling. We knew something was getting in our garbage from having to pick it up. So, I grabbed a baseball bat and headed out onto the back deck. Then I pounded the deck a couple of times and out pop this 'coon from one can...

Whoa man! This was the Daddy Coon. I'm not sure of how big it was, but I repeated the thumping and yelled at it while advancing on it.

Apparently, said coon was not impressed it started towards me, hissing and looked rather irate.

In short order, I returned to the kitchen and told my wife that "I needed a bigger bat".

A the time I was not yet back into shooting and didn't have a round for my 12 Gauge, 30/30, P38 or .22.

Dadgum coon ran me off...

But, at least I didn't shoot myself any place!

Jeff B.
Don’t ever let someone get away with telling you that no one wants to take your guns. - Joe Huffman

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Raccoon's life matter. RIP my trash panda friend.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

KHickam

Post by KHickam »

' coons take alot of killing sometimes.
"Be strong, be of good courage, God Bless America, Long live the Republic." SootchOO

rbwhatever1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

They'll get him next time...

III

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

This reminds me of when I was in high school. I had a buddy whose parent's property abutted another property with an old abandoned farm house. My buddy's family and the other property owner were good friends and my buddy had access to the property which we used for rabbit, and dove hunting fairly often.

He told me he had gone in the old house and found a litter of baby coons. He wanted to get one as a pet when they were old enough. (not the best choice for a house pet by the way)

He and I went there one afternoon after school with a burlap sack, and gloves (to prevent the baby coon from biting/scratching etc.) we didn't take any guns or any thing more lethal than a pocket knife.

We got in the house and found the coons, in a corner near where the floor had collapsed. We got to within about 8 feet of them, when Mama showed up, coming from under the house. Mama was not a fan of our idea to relieve her of one of her babies, nor was she concerned that there were two teenaged boys, who were there to carry it out. She charged us, and grabbed my buddy's pant leg, all the while growling and hissing. I kicked her free from my buddy, which then made me a target of her anger. We both managed to escape with nothing more than some teeth marks in my buddy's jeans, but we decided, that we would definitely seek safer animals to deal with, like maybe Bengal Tigers, or King Cobras. :biggrinjester:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Raccoons are what you get if you cross a mongoose with a badger. I caught one raiding my trash can one night, and when I opened my back door, shined a flashlight on him, and hollered for him to get gone, he bowed up and started flashing gang signs at me, and dared me to come on outside and get a whoopin'.

No thanks pal. Enjoy the garbage. Don't bother cleaning up when you're done. I'll just get after it in the morning.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

We've got a possum problem in our neighborhood. There's one that lives in the trees on my fence line and causes my pup to bark all night almost. While I was out walking him one morning we saw a shadowy figure run into the trees. I thought it was a 'Coon because of the color but I was not about to stay and find out. Those things are mean. My grandpa used to hunt them and he told us stories about how they would never go without a fight.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

My son, olj4, ain't afraid of no raccoons (with apologies to Ray Parker, Jr.). :lol:

At 16, he stalked and shot a raccoon at night. He had noticed that something other than his dog was eating the dog food outside. He had a crossbow, with which he had been practicing. Arming himself, we waited one night until the raccoon came calling. Alone in the dark, using only the light shining through the house windows, he carefully and quietly moved to a position from which he could safely engage the intruder and loosed a bolt. Crossbow bolt 1, raccoon 0. No more problems with disappearing dog food.
:thewave

With only a little coaching, he was able to neutralize a threat to his animals from a safe distance without endangering anything or anyone else. He turns 20 tomorrow. Next year, LTC.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Every time I glance at this thread I flash to Geico's new TV commercial with three raccoons raiding some garbage cans. "It's like mango chutney, and...burnt hair."

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I still laugh at this.

Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

:iagree:
Jerry Clower was quite a raconteur.

Around the time I got out of high school, Dad killed a mama coon going into a tree hollow. He shined a light into the hollow and noticed two babies whose eyes were not open yet, so he managed to get them out, kept one and gave one to a relative. He obtained a fur-bearing animal license to legally keep the coon as a pet, and we had Fred as a pet for more than a year. From firsthand experience, coons are very resourceful, dexterous, curious, and quite capable of holding their own against most other critters armed with nothing more than claws and teeth. Dad made Fred a harness that he couldn't get out of (itself a bit of an undertaking) and set up a line across the back yard with a lead so that Fred could climb a bit, as well as get to shade, food and water. Though Fred couldn't get his harness off, he soon figured out how to get the harness off the lead, and he would go missing for two or three days at a time until he went missing and did not come back at all. I can't really recommend coons as pets, but having Fred as a pet was certainly an experience.

After Fred went missing, Dad put up some signs in the neighborhood and got a call a week or so later from a lady with a coon in her garage. It ended up being a juvenile female so not the coon we were looking for. When Dad went to get the coon, he wore leather gloves. He successfully caught the animal and brought it home in a cage, though he did so with punctured gloves and fingers. Freda, as we called her for the few days she was with us, was the single most foul-spirited creature I ever saw. Every ounce of her three to four pound being was filled with vitriol. Any time she became aware of someone she would hiss and strike out in their direction against and through the cage wire. We relocated her pretty quickly.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

rotor

Post by rotor »

They are smart too...

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”