experiences of being pulled over while LTC

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
JCC511
Posts in topic: 2

experiences of being pulled over while LTC

Post by JCC511 »

Got pulled over for the first time while having my LTC. This was in Murphy. Officer just handed back the LTC card and held onto my driver's license to run it. I was not armed at the time. Anyone have other experiences to share? If there is already a topic for this, please forgive the repeat.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

zmcgooga
Posts in topic: 1

Re: experiences of being pulled over while LTC

Post by zmcgooga »

Check out the posts here- viewforum.php?f=15 That's where I've seen most of the experiences.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Welcome to the forum! One of the subforums on the main index page toward the bottom: 'LEO Contacts and Bloopers' contain a bunch of experiences. Good reading! :txflag:
NRA Benefactor Member

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I'be been pulled over twice since receiving mine, both very positive experiences. The first time I was pulled over outside of Stephenville on the way to a concert. I didn't have a front license plate (installed a new bumper and didn't have the bracket I needed yet) Regular routine traffic stop, he gave me a warning and sent me on, real nice guy (DPS btw). The second time was about a month ago I was on the phone (I actually have hands free in my truck but this was one of the few times I just never turned it on) on the way to school. San Marcos is a handsfree town as of last year. Officer asked what my choice of carry gun was (a 1911 duh? [Ruger Sr 1911 Commander]) and sent me on my way. This is new for me because in the past I never got warnings, I paid full price every time. Not that I deserved anything less but a warning to scare you into staying safe is a lot nicer than a $200 donation to your local government. So all in all pretty positive for me.

ETA que the parenting about being on the phone while driving but I know there is not a single person on this planet that owns both devices and could honestly say they have never picked up their phone behind the wheel

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Anytime I encountered a LTC holder we had a nice conversation about guns. Sometimes we would talk for 20mins before cutting them loose with a warning.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I have never been pulled over while having my LTC but have been checked a couple times by game wardens while duck huntin. Both times we pulled up to the ramp after the hunt and they were there watching for hunters to come in so they could check them and the first guy asked to see our hunting licenses and drivers license and I handed him my LTC and informed him about my firearm to which he said wow thank you very much for letting me know. Since then I have seen him numerous times and he just waves me on by. The second time same thing was pulling up at the boat ramp about to load the boat and two game wardens came and wanted to check us after we got the boat loaded. I again informed them and they very appreciative. They then proceeded to talk to me and my dad for about 30 minutes about duck hunting and our boat. We saw them the next week and they just waved us on by. My experience is just be honest that's the biggest quality they are looking for. Tell the truth, hunt honestly and carry on!

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Well maybe we should have good guy badges! :biggrinjester:
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have been stopped twice, both times for equipment, one headlight that went out just as I started my truck, and the other a taillight that I wasn't aware of.

Both times, I provided my DL and LTC, and was only given a warning. One asked where the gun was, and when I told him, he just said "well as long as you don't reach for yours, I won't reach for mine."

I have spoken with several LEO while carrying, both OC and CC, the overall mindset, is that they are glad that law abiding citizens are armed, and know that we have their back, if things go bad for them. This is in direct contradiction of large city police chiefs, who tried to spread the illogical message that we would somehow complicate LEO jobs. I have never had a negative comment from any LEO regarding LTC, and they seem to look at us an extension of the LEO community. Traffic stops are already a tense situation for LEO, so the more cooperative and honest you are with them, the better the outcome. When we hand them our LTC, that helps put their minds at ease, because they know, that even though we are armed, we pose no threat to them. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Jusme wrote:I have been stopped twice, both times for equipment, one headlight that went out just as I started my truck, and the other a taillight that I wasn't aware of.

Both times, I provided my DL and LTC, and was only given a warning. One asked where the gun was, and when I told him, he just said "well as long as you don't reach for yours, I won't reach for mine."

I have spoken with several LEO while carrying, both OC and CC, the overall mindset, is that they are glad that law abiding citizens are armed, and know that we have their back, if things go bad for them. This is in direct contradiction of large city police chiefs, who tried to spread the illogical message that we would somehow complicate LEO jobs. I have never had a negative comment from any LEO regarding LTC, and they seem to look at us an extension of the LEO community. Traffic stops are already a tense situation for LEO, so the more cooperative and honest you are with them, the better the outcome. When we hand them our LTC, that helps put their minds at ease, because they know, that even though we are armed, we pose no threat to them. JMHO
:iagree:

This is 100% accurate. I have never been bothered by and Leo while OC and any person at all. There was one guy who told me " oh so you think you can just walk around with a gun and not cause anything to happen" my response was well yeah lol. Most people do not care that I OC and if they notice they just like I said don't care

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

All positive on my end.

Just the standard "don't reach for yours and I won't reach for mine.." stuff.

Topic author
JCC511

Post by JCC511 »

I was wondering if they were more likely to give a warning to an LTC holder. I was surprised he only gave a warning and did not ask if I was armed, etc.
submitted 11/14/2016 received 12/9/2016
my wife's 11/14/2016 received 3/8/2017

Mxrdad

Post by Mxrdad »

nightmare69 wrote:Anytime I encountered a LTC holder we had a nice conversation about guns. Sometimes we would talk for 20mins before cutting them loose with a warning.
Top Notch! I have had 1 encounter where I was pulled over for speeding. 65 in a 55 around the Broaddus Texas area. The State Trooper was very nice. When I pulled over, my Tundra has a back window that rolls down so I rolled it down, rolled down my drivers window and kept 2 hands on the wheel until he approached. I had time to put my wallet on the dash before I pulled over (He was coming at opposite direction), when he approached, I had my little lap dog in my lap. He is my buddy and rides in my lap anytime we are in the truck and he is a mean little poot. I asked the officer if I could place my doggy in my wives lap since "He doesn't play well with others". We both chuckled and he approved. He asked if I knew why I was being pulled over. I said yes sir, I bet I was doing 65 and I know its posted 55. I handed him my DL and LTC and he glanced at the LTC and handed it right back to me very quickly. Not a word from either of us. He said he will run my info and if all comes back OK, he will let me off with a warning, and a warning is what I got.

He was very polite, very professional and we wished each other a good day. I wish I could've invited him to our little fish camp but it was kinda difficult keeping a conversation going with that mean little mutt of mine growling and not acting very social. He seemed like a guy I couldve had a good time talking with. Good stuff man.
Just some guy's opinion.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

I've been pulled over twice since I've had my CHL/LTC.

First time was for "weaving" in my lane. I very well may have but I also think the random junk in the back of the truck and the fact that there was nobody on the hwy and the trooper was probably bored. I handed him my DL and CHL indexed and he pushed the CHL down and started asking about who I drove a bus for. Not a word about the CHL or firearm. No ticket and no warning since I didn't do anything wrong. This was during a click-it-or-ticket campaign and he was checking for belts and drunk driving.

Second time was for speeding while entering a small town. I had missed the first reduced speed limit sign. He was at my window almost before I could get my licenses out. Again, no mention or recognition of the CHL or firearm, Told me to slow down and signed a warning.

Both times very polite and professional, on both our parts.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

cirus

Post by cirus »

January 30, 2016 my birthday. Was headed to Rattan Oklahoma with my bike and was stopped by Rattan PD for speeding. Handed him both license. He went to his car, wrote me a ticket and handed me both license back. Never said a word. Cool guy.

pmcdn

Post by pmcdn »

bblhd672 wrote:Well maybe we should have good guy badges! :biggrinjester:
I believe we do ;-)
"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."
- Clint Eastwood

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”