Smoking at the Pump

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

thaidragon
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Smoking at the Pump

Post by thaidragon »

That was a good one. "rlol" :woohoo

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

bdgyeah wrote:Took a college course once where a professor extinguished a lit cigarette in cup full of gas. A cigarette burning by itself (not inhaling) does not burn hot enough to ignite gasoline. Just useless knowledge.
:iagree: but it's the fumes that can ignite easily.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

Javier730 wrote:
bdgyeah wrote:Took a college course once where a professor extinguished a lit cigarette in cup full of gas. A cigarette burning by itself (not inhaling) does not burn hot enough to ignite gasoline. Just useless knowledge.
:iagree: but it's the fumes that can ignite easily.
I have observed a shop teacher quenching white hot steel in a can of gasoline. The can was brim full. The object was gasoline is not flammable, the vapor is. Then he did it in a quart can with about a quarter cup of gasoline in it that had been siting there from the start of the demonstration, it went whoosh. The object being, when you have a gasoline vapor that is the right amount of air it is very flammable.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

The cigarette(or match) in the cup of gas trick works because the mix is too rich to burn, once the fumes mix with air then woosh up it goes!
I worked a house fire once where the guy was fixing a hole in his gas tank, he did everything right at first, drained the gas tank, filled gas tank with soapy water! Proceeded to spot weld gas tank hole closed, Here's his mistake, he drained the gas into a 5 gal bucket and set it to the side in the garage, he set it within 2ft of the gas hot water heater, fumes built up in the bucket overflowed to the pilot light in the water heater and away it went!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

Too funny and I remember back in the 1970's nearly everyone smoked at the gas ⛽pump.
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Deltaboy wrote:Too funny and I remember back in the 1970's nearly everyone smoked at the gas ⛽pump.
I didn't.
I wasn't stupid.
I knew about fumes.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
Deltaboy wrote:Too funny and I remember back in the 1970's nearly everyone smoked at the gas ⛽pump.
I didn't.
I wasn't stupid.
I knew about fumes.
I did
I was stupid
I knew I was immortal
:biggrinjester:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

I gotta write that one down. That's funny, I don't care who you are.. :clapping:
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

Liberty wrote: I knew I was immortal
I am Duncan MacLeod....
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

allisji

Post by allisji »

crazy2medic wrote:The cigarette(or match) in the cup of gas trick works because the mix is too rich to burn, once the fumes mix with air then woosh up it goes!
I worked a house fire once where the guy was fixing a hole in his gas tank, he did everything right at first, drained the gas tank, filled gas tank with soapy water! Proceeded to spot weld gas tank hole closed, Here's his mistake, he drained the gas into a 5 gal bucket and set it to the side in the garage, he set it within 2ft of the gas hot water heater, fumes built up in the bucket overflowed to the pilot light in the water heater and away it went!
you beat me too it. I was going to say that it is above the upper flammable limit.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

jmorris wrote:
I've seen people do that and it works well as long as there aren't a lot of fumes. I've also seen what happens when there are a lot of fumes, such as at a gas station.
Gasoline as a liquid and the gasoline fumes are two different things. As a liquid it requires an open flame, on the other hand fumes can be ignited with a spark.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

jminn1

Re: Smoking at the Pump + cell phones

Post by jminn1 »

Ya got me to! Good one.

And it's as dangerous to be yakking on a cell phone while pumping gas. Under some conditions, especially if you touch a grounded object while handling a cell, a small static discharge can happen. Gasoline vapors + small spark == boom.

Most gas pumps even have small stickers on them telling folks not to use their cell while pumping gas.

I see folks doing it all the time though. That's a ID==10T error waiting to happen.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Smoking at the Pump + cell phones

Post by Keith B »

jminn1 wrote:Ya got me to! Good one.

And it's as dangerous to be yakking on a cell phone while pumping gas. Under some conditions, especially if you touch a grounded object while handling a cell, a small static discharge can happen. Gasoline vapors + small spark == boom.

Most gas pumps even have small stickers on them telling folks not to use their cell while pumping gas.

I see folks doing it all the time though. That's a ID==10T error waiting to happen.
Actually, the cell phone thing is not really ever been proven. While a piezo ringer was in the old phones, most new ones use speakers for their ring tones. Even the vibration motors are sealed, so the chances of the right fuel/air mixture being near them is slim to none, and slim left town. Static electricity is still the biggest risk for ignition at the pump. Here is a good test video https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/myth ... n-minimyth
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mloamiller

Post by mloamiller »

I think the biggest danger at the pump is having one's nose buried in a cell phone, not paying attention to anything or anyone around you. Much more risky - and likely to occur - than a potential fire (excluding outright stupidity, of course).
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”