helpful deputy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
NNT
Posts in topic: 2

helpful deputy

Post by NNT »

So I went to an event my child was in. It had been moved to a courtroom in our county building, though nothing to do with court...I showed up a little late (after hours), and was alone at the entry desk. As I entered the front door there was a metal detector, and a sign saying no sharp objects, etc. I mentioned that I was carrying, and the lady called over the deputy in charge of the building. He asked what I was carrying, so I lifted my shirt to show him. He then asked for my ltc. I showed him. He asked if there was a reason I felt the need to carry there, and my reply was that I had it on me when I left the house. He asked if I was parked close and if I would mind putting it in my car since I couldn't take it into the courtroom. I said I was not comfortable leaving it in the car, not because I had to be armed, but because I did not have a safe in my car. He said no problem, and let me through and said I could stand in the entry to the actual courtroom to watch my child's event. The courtroom itself was marked 30-06/07. Afterward I talked with him and he was very nice, said anywhere else in the bldg was fine OC/CC (except DA and Clerk offices), and said he appreciated the 1% of us that take the time to get licensed and do it right.

My bad was bringing it to the courtroom, he did a GREAT job in dealing with me and helping me get what I needed done.

Just thought I would pass along the positive interaction when he easily could have told me I was dumb and sent me away.

allisji
Posts in topic: 1

Re: helpful deputy

Post by allisji »

Nice job by yourself and by the LEO. Time to get a lockable gun vault in your car, btw!

I know that this topic has been discussed before on this forum. Does a courtroom have to be posted 30.06/30.07? I wouldn't think so since it's a prohibited place. But if no court is in session, then isn't it just like any other room? If court is going on in a kitchen, I would think that would make the kitchen a courtroom.

I would think that if they had not posted the 30.06/30.07 signage at the entrance to the courtroom then the courtroom is still prohibited, but if court is not in session, then it should be just like any other government building. At least there was still security procedures in place for entry, but what if there had been no LEO present, then who is going to defend you?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Great report, glad it went as it should have. The only thing I may have done differently, was to not "show" the deputy what I was carrying, but rather tell him. Even moving slowly to reveal a gun, could make him nervous, so unless asked to reveal it, I would not have done so. JMHO.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Which courthouse was this? Enquiring minds want to know.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
NNT
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NNT »

I asked about the courtroom being in use, he said it is always a courtroom. Was not going to argue the point.

Yes, I had a vault, it got cleaned out I'd the car, need to replace it.

Showing vs telling. Agree limit unneeded hand movement. Situationally, how I did it caused no stress in either side. I carry a sccy and wasn't sure he would know it by name.

Small town central Texas. prefer to keep a bit of anonymity...

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”