Pulled over in Calvert

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
SA-TX
Posts in topic: 2

Pulled over in Calvert

Post by SA-TX »

My family and I were going to College Station for our niece's graduation from A&M the next day. Whoop and Gig 'Em! It was about midnight and, wanting to get there ASAP, I had the cruise set at 80 in a 75 zone. Just before the speed limit decreases entering Calvert (Robertson County), an officer nicely concealed in the grassy median makes himself known.

I pull over, hand him DL, insurance, and LTC. He asks if I'm carrying and I confirm that I am in the center console (yes, MPA would apply also). I keep my DL, insurance, and LTC all together in one sleeve of my wallet making things easy. He commented that he had never seen that before. After asking where we were going to (see above) and coming from (home), he most likely ran ran everything and, receiving no concerning information, issued me a verbal warning and admonishment to slow down, which I did. All told, probably less than 10 minutes start to finish.

Had I received a citation, I would have had no hard feelings about it. I was exceeding the speed limit and it was not accidental.

My firearm was a non-issue which is what I expect. Kudos.to that officer and I firmly believe that my "yes sir, no sir" honest approach was returned in kind.

SA-TX

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pulled over in Calvert

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Glad it turned out the way it did.

Two of the fundamental things I learned at A&M was that Calvert and Cooke's Point are the biggest speed traps in Texas. That is, of course unless you are driving through Selma.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

J.R.@A&M wrote:Glad it turned out the way it did.

Two of the fundamental things I learned at A&M was that Calvert and Cooke's Point are the biggest speed traps in Texas. That is, of course unless you are driving through Selma.
...or Estelline.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Riesel, Calvert, Hearne, MARLIN!!!

Each one of them is "the butthole of Texas".
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I am surprised he even bothered to pull you over, only going 5 over. I've been ignored going thru speed traps doing around 5 over. My understanding the fine is minimal and no points. I did get stopped once for going 7 over, but got a warning.

Both my kids are Ags, so you learn about Calvert very quickly.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

allisji

Post by allisji »

oohrah wrote:I am surprised he even bothered to pull you over, only going 5 over. I've been ignored going thru speed traps doing around 5 over. My understanding the fine is minimal and no points. I did get stopped once for going 7 over, but got a warning.

I agree with this, however I would assume that the fact that it was midnight had something to do with the decision to pull over. He's out there looking for people who are DWI/causing trouble, not out to give 5 mph speeding tickets.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

allisji

Post by allisji »

This is much the same way that my traffic stop went last week. Only I was going 73 in a 55 in midday with my wife and kids in the car.

I think that the fact that I was polite, that I was a certified good guy (with a gun) with a squeaky clean record, that I was an out of towner, and that I had my wife and kids in the car influenced him to give me a verbal warning to slow down.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

i'm 99% sure i could have paid my way through college twice with the amount I spent on tickets on Hwy. 6 between Waco and Houston back in the early mid 90's.

god bless.

Topic author
SA-TX

Post by SA-TX »

allisji wrote:
oohrah wrote:I am surprised he even bothered to pull you over, only going 5 over. I've been ignored going thru speed traps doing around 5 over. My understanding the fine is minimal and no points. I did get stopped once for going 7 over, but got a warning.

I agree with this, however I would assume that the fact that it was midnight had something to do with the decision to pull over. He's out there looking for people who are DWI/causing trouble, not out to give 5 mph speeding tickets.
:iagree:

I thought the same thing and that probably contributed to the quick turnaround.

SA-TX

BTW - since my undergrad days were spent in Lubbock, there are/were plenty of traps on US 84 (Snyder, Post, etc.). I imagine this is true surrounding most colleges and large metro areas.

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I have driven through every town mentioned in this post and I drive EXACTLY the speed limit through every one of them.

Through each of those towns the reduction in speed limit is DRASTIC going from the highway speed limit to the in town speed limit.

Also keep in mind that in most of those towns the police calls for service are minimal, sometimes maybe one or two calls in an 8 hour shift. What are the officers doing in between? Running traffic.

Just my .02 and drive safely,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The big news here is that the OP did not get a ticket in or near Calvert.

I received one many many years ago and I was the last car in a line of 4. The officer claimed he was doing me a favor and only citing me for 10 mph over the limit instead of what he claimed I was really doing. What I was really doing was far less and if I was really going as fast as he said would have been running over those in front of me. I stopped going through that entire area. I had also been given fair warning from my wife and father-in-law about all those rinky dink little holes and how things worked around there. It took a $100+ ticket to convince me.

BTW, I'm convinced that any officer that says they've never seen something is either fibbing to put you at ease or it is only their first day on the job.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

LabRat wrote:
J.R.@A&M wrote:Glad it turned out the way it did.

...or Estelline.

LabRat
Ditto Estelline.

Just before or after(depends on direction of travel) you hit the Red.

"rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”