Denton PD contact after wreck

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: Keith B, carlson1

User avatar

Topic author
RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4004
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby RPBrown » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 am

A couple of weeks ago my CFO and I were headed to Oklahoma to hear a friend sing. Headed up I35E and the traffic came to an abrupt stop. I was able to stop about 6-8 feet from the car in front of me and looked into my mirror and saw him coming. Told my wife to hold on, stood on the brakes and braced for the impact. He hit us hard enough to knock my wifes glasses off her face and into the floor and knock me into the car in front of me. After checking on my wife I got out and this guy comes up screaming and cursing. I went to check on the girl that I had been pushed into, asked the guy if he was alright and if both of their cars could be driven. Both said yes so I suggested we get off of the highway to exchange information. There was an IHOP just off of the exit so I suggested there. As I was getting back in my car, the guy took off and flew around me and off of the exit. The girl and I both eased off and pulled into the parking lot but the guy that hit me was nowhere to be found so I figured he had fled and I called LEO. The officer arrived very shortly after the call so he must have been close. As we are talking to the officer, the guy comes walking up and says he couldn't get over in time to go to IHOP so he was around the corner. We all pulled around, LEO asks for DL and insurance. I also hand him my LTC, he looks at it and hands it back. No issues as it should be. Didn't even ask me where it was.

AS a side note, the guy that hit me started telling the LEO that he had been hit and shoved into me. The officer and I walked to the back of his car, the officer asked him again, you were hit hard enough to cause as much damage as there is to the front of your car and to these other cars without getting even a scratch on the back of your car? Don't think so.

Now been dealing with insurance companies for 2 weeks because the guy that hit us was not on the policy he gave to the officer. In fact, the people that had the policy had just sold the guy the car the day before and had called and cancelled the policy, or so says the insurance company.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3839
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby Jusme » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:12 am

RPBrown wrote:A couple of weeks ago my CFO and I were headed to Oklahoma to hear a friend sing. Headed up I35E and the traffic came to an abrupt stop. I was able to stop about 6-8 feet from the car in front of me and looked into my mirror and saw him coming. Told my wife to hold on, stood on the brakes and braced for the impact. He hit us hard enough to knock my wifes glasses off her face and into the floor and knock me into the car in front of me. After checking on my wife I got out and this guy comes up screaming and cursing. I went to check on the girl that I had been pushed into, asked the guy if he was alright and if both of their cars could be driven. Both said yes so I suggested we get off of the highway to exchange information. There was an IHOP just off of the exit so I suggested there. As I was getting back in my car, the guy took off and flew around me and off of the exit. The girl and I both eased off and pulled into the parking lot but the guy that hit me was nowhere to be found so I figured he had fled and I called LEO. The officer arrived very shortly after the call so he must have been close. As we are talking to the officer, the guy comes walking up and says he couldn't get over in time to go to IHOP so he was around the corner. We all pulled around, LEO asks for DL and insurance. I also hand him my LTC, he looks at it and hands it back. No issues as it should be. Didn't even ask me where it was.

AS a side note, the guy that hit me started telling the LEO that he had been hit and shoved into me. The officer and I walked to the back of his car, the officer asked him again, you were hit hard enough to cause as much damage as there is to the front of your car and to these other cars without getting even a scratch on the back of your car? Don't think so.

Now been dealing with insurance companies for 2 weeks because the guy that hit us was not on the policy he gave to the officer. In fact, the people that had the policy had just sold the guy the car the day before and had called and cancelled the policy, or so says the insurance company.



Yep, that's typical. Contact the officer that investigated the accident, he can issue a citation to the uninsured driver. Not that it will help you recover anything. If you have full coverage, let your insurance company handle it. You can get a lawyer, and sue the other driver, but more than likely, he won't have anything, and all you can hope for is a judgement, but it is very difficult to ever collect.. Glad no one was injured.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

User avatar

Topic author
RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4004
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby RPBrown » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 am

Jusme wrote:
RPBrown wrote:A couple of weeks ago my CFO and I were headed to Oklahoma to hear a friend sing. Headed up I35E and the traffic came to an abrupt stop. I was able to stop about 6-8 feet from the car in front of me and looked into my mirror and saw him coming. Told my wife to hold on, stood on the brakes and braced for the impact. He hit us hard enough to knock my wifes glasses off her face and into the floor and knock me into the car in front of me. After checking on my wife I got out and this guy comes up screaming and cursing. I went to check on the girl that I had been pushed into, asked the guy if he was alright and if both of their cars could be driven. Both said yes so I suggested we get off of the highway to exchange information. There was an IHOP just off of the exit so I suggested there. As I was getting back in my car, the guy took off and flew around me and off of the exit. The girl and I both eased off and pulled into the parking lot but the guy that hit me was nowhere to be found so I figured he had fled and I called LEO. The officer arrived very shortly after the call so he must have been close. As we are talking to the officer, the guy comes walking up and says he couldn't get over in time to go to IHOP so he was around the corner. We all pulled around, LEO asks for DL and insurance. I also hand him my LTC, he looks at it and hands it back. No issues as it should be. Didn't even ask me where it was.

AS a side note, the guy that hit me started telling the LEO that he had been hit and shoved into me. The officer and I walked to the back of his car, the officer asked him again, you were hit hard enough to cause as much damage as there is to the front of your car and to these other cars without getting even a scratch on the back of your car? Don't think so.

Now been dealing with insurance companies for 2 weeks because the guy that hit us was not on the policy he gave to the officer. In fact, the people that had the policy had just sold the guy the car the day before and had called and cancelled the policy, or so says the insurance company.



Yep, that's typical. Contact the officer that investigated the accident, he can issue a citation to the uninsured driver. Not that it will help you recover anything. If you have full coverage, let your insurance company handle it. You can get a lawyer, and sue the other driver, but more than likely, he won't have anything, and all you can hope for is a judgement, but it is very difficult to ever collect.. Glad no one was injured.


Yes, it has been turned over to our insurance and they are trying to locate the guy.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image

User avatar

puma guy
Senior Member
Posts: 5064
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Near San Jacinto

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby puma guy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 am

RPBrown wrote:
Jusme wrote:
RPBrown wrote:A couple of weeks ago my CFO and I were headed to Oklahoma to hear a friend sing. Headed up I35E and the traffic came to an abrupt stop. I was able to stop about 6-8 feet from the car in front of me and looked into my mirror and saw him coming. Told my wife to hold on, stood on the brakes and braced for the impact. He hit us hard enough to knock my wifes glasses off her face and into the floor and knock me into the car in front of me. After checking on my wife I got out and this guy comes up screaming and cursing. I went to check on the girl that I had been pushed into, asked the guy if he was alright and if both of their cars could be driven. Both said yes so I suggested we get off of the highway to exchange information. There was an IHOP just off of the exit so I suggested there. As I was getting back in my car, the guy took off and flew around me and off of the exit. The girl and I both eased off and pulled into the parking lot but the guy that hit me was nowhere to be found so I figured he had fled and I called LEO. The officer arrived very shortly after the call so he must have been close. As we are talking to the officer, the guy comes walking up and says he couldn't get over in time to go to IHOP so he was around the corner. We all pulled around, LEO asks for DL and insurance. I also hand him my LTC, he looks at it and hands it back. No issues as it should be. Didn't even ask me where it was.

AS a side note, the guy that hit me started telling the LEO that he had been hit and shoved into me. The officer and I walked to the back of his car, the officer asked him again, you were hit hard enough to cause as much damage as there is to the front of your car and to these other cars without getting even a scratch on the back of your car? Don't think so.

Now been dealing with insurance companies for 2 weeks because the guy that hit us was not on the policy he gave to the officer. In fact, the people that had the policy had just sold the guy the car the day before and had called and cancelled the policy, or so says the insurance company.



Yep, that's typical. Contact the officer that investigated the accident, he can issue a citation to the uninsured driver. Not that it will help you recover anything. If you have full coverage, let your insurance company handle it. You can get a lawyer, and sue the other driver, but more than likely, he won't have anything, and all you can hope for is a judgement, but it is very difficult to ever collect.. Glad no one was injured.


Yes, it has been turned over to our insurance and they are trying to locate the guy.

I'm glad your wife and you are OK as well as the other folks. Having no insurance is an epidemic in Texas. Probably most states. Your uninsured motorist coverage will take care of your vehicle damage and any injury you or your wife may have suffered, but it's a hickey. Where I live they play a game by starting coverage , getting the card and stop payment and use the ID if stopped or in an accident. I have had this happen twice and my brother had it happen when a guy totaled his parked truck. Even after my brother went to the man's court date with letters from the guys insurance that he never had coverage the judge dismissed even the accident ticket when the driver showed him the same fraudulent card he gave the cops. Very frustrating. My brother got the guy to sign an agreement to pay him and he got his money in installments. BTW my brother is 6' 4''. LOL Same thing happened to my daughter's car and State Farm sued her and I got my deducible reimbursed. And we wonder why our rates in Texas are outrageous. Sorry for the mini rant. I hope they locate your guy and get him to pay up.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!
Image

User avatar

der Teufel
Senior Member
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm
Location: In the vicinity of Austin

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby der Teufel » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 am

Yep, I've had a couple of similar incidents.

Someone stopped suddenly in front of us. I stopped, the guy behind me hit my rear. We pulled over and exchanged insurance info. I took photos. His insurance company said he wasn't on the policy, and that the policy forbade any drivers under age 25 (he looked to be in his early 20's). In other words, mom had insurance for herself, but not for the kid. Insurance did not pay.

I was stopped at a traffic light, heard noise behind me. A motorcycle with two guys was coming fast, engine revving! I reckon the driver was unfamiliar with his ride and pulled the clutch instead of the brake. They hit, broke a tail light and damaged paint on my car. They went flying. I was concerned about them but they said they were all right and suggested we pull off the road to exchange details. I pulled over, they jumped back on the bike and took off.

There's just not much recourse in those situations. Forty years ago, when I was in the Army stationed in Virginia, the state would send someone around to collect your license plates if you dropped your insurance coverage. With all the computing power available today, I sure don't see why that can't be done here.
Auf einen großen Klotz gehört ein großer Keil.
English equivalent: You must meet roughness with roughness.
NRA Life Member


chasfm11
Senior Member
Posts: 3148
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm
Location: Northern DFW

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby chasfm11 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26 am

:iagree:
der Teufel wrote:Yep, I've had a couple of similar incidents.

Someone stopped suddenly in front of us. I stopped, the guy behind me hit my rear. We pulled over and exchanged insurance info. I took photos. His insurance company said he wasn't on the policy, and that the policy forbade any drivers under age 25 (he looked to be in his early 20's). In other words, mom had insurance for herself, but not for the kid. Insurance did not pay.

I was stopped at a traffic light, heard noise behind me. A motorcycle with two guys was coming fast, engine revving! I reckon the driver was unfamiliar with his ride and pulled the clutch instead of the brake. They hit, broke a tail light and damaged paint on my car. They went flying. I was concerned about them but they said they were all right and suggested we pull off the road to exchange details. I pulled over, they jumped back on the bike and took off.

There's just not much recourse in those situations. Forty years ago, when I was in the Army stationed in Virginia, the state would send someone around to collect your license plates if you dropped your insurance coverage. With all the computing power available today, I sure don't see why that can't be done here.


:iagree: I had a situation a couple of years ago where I threatened loss of the other driver's license and that is what it took to stop delay of an 8 month old claim. I was on I-35E in Carrollton, heading South. We came to one of those places where all lanes bend but the driver in the inner lane did not and buried his right front tire into the side of my van. We pulled off, he agreed that it was his fault and gave me his insurance information. It turns out that we have the same insurance company.

My policy (and his ) require us to make a statement to the insurance company within 48 hours about the details of the accident. I did and he didn't. The claims department said that I would have to use the uninsured motorist part of my insurance, meaning that I would pay a deductible. We went back and forth, with them claiming they are unable to contact the other guy. Finally, I told the insurance company that I was going to file suit against them for their failure to enforce their own policy requirements and that I was sending the police department out to pick up the other guy's license for providing false insurance information at the scene of an accident. Within 24 hours, they somehow managed to contact him, he confirmed his responsibility and I finally got my van fixed. I regret not sending them a registered letter with those same threats earlier in the process.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dun Spiro Spero


glock27
Senior Member
Posts: 622
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby glock27 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:04 am

Ive always understood that if you are about to get rear ended and there is nothing you can do that you can just let off the brake and it will soften the blow vs standing on the brake. Or depending on tje distance to the car in front of you give it some gas
"Dont rush me, i get paid by the hour"
Mailed 7-5-10
9-16-10 PLASTIC!


dlh
Senior Member
Posts: 441
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby dlh » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:18 am

It may or may not have helped in your situation but when I have to suddenly stop behind someone I reflexively start pumping my brakes in case any folks behind me are not paying attention. That practice has prevented me from getting rear-ended on more than one occasion.

User avatar

Topic author
RPBrown
Senior Member
Posts: 4004
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:56 am
Location: Irving, Texas

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby RPBrown » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:42 am

glock27 wrote:Ive always understood that if you are about to get rear ended and there is nothing you can do that you can just let off the brake and it will soften the blow vs standing on the brake. Or depending on tje distance to the car in front of you give it some gas


As it was, I hit the car in front of me anyway with little to no damage to her car or the girl in the car. Had I let off of the brake, her damage could have been a lot worse and could have caused her injury or at the very least caused injury to my wife and/or I from air bag deployment, which didn't happen because I did stand on the brake.

UPDATE: just got a call from the body shop and they are waiting on insurance company but looks like our car is totaled which sucks because its my wife's car and she loved it. She doesn't like the looks of the new ones.
NRA-Life member
TSRA-Life member
Image


SewTexas
Senior Member
Posts: 2873
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm
Location: San Antonio area

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby SewTexas » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm glad no one was seriously injured. Hopefully your insurance co will do the work for you in dealing with the other insurance cos.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

User avatar

johncanfield
Senior Member
Posts: 941
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:04 pm
Location: Texas Hill Country

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby johncanfield » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:59 pm

I had a guy run into the back of me many years ago, that's when I discovered Uninsured Motorist coverage had nothing to do with paying for the damage on my car (State Farm in Florida.) It was medical coverage for me which I didn't need. Rip off.
Ruger SR40, LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226, 1911 clone

User avatar

JakeTheSnake
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:05 am
Location: SA

Re: Denton PD contact after wreck

Postby JakeTheSnake » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 am

dlh wrote:It may or may not have helped in your situation but when I have to suddenly stop behind someone I reflexively start pumping my brakes in case any folks behind me are not paying attention. That practice has prevented me from getting rear-ended on more than one occasion.


This is what I put on our vehicles.



Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests