Woman calls 911....Get shot

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

baseballguy2001
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Woman calls 911....Get shot

Post by baseballguy2001 »

Now, it's worse. The LEO who did the shooting is refusing to be interviewed. Isn't that nice? The driver of the squad was interviewed --

"Officer Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad. Immediately afterward Ruszczyk approached the driver's side window of the squad," said the Department of Public Safety, in a statement, which is investigating the shooting.

"Harrity indicated that Officer Noor discharged his weapon, striking Ruszczyk through the open driver’s side window."

Isn't that interesting. The driver also claims a white kid on a bicycle (18 - 25) witnessed the two officers performing CPR.

The passenger LEO shoots and kills a 911 caller, lawyers up, then refuses to be interviewed by the investigating agency. The article goes on to say the agency can't compel his testimony.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

srothstein
Posts in topic: 9

Post by srothstein »

baseballguy2001 wrote:As a pro in the IT world, data storage is really affordable these days. These clowns should have had the body cams going and violated their own policy by not activating them.
I am not as sure that they violated their own policy as you might be. One of the politicians (mayor I think) tweeted a link tot he policy and I read it. The wording on the only part that could have applied in this case is kind of vague. It said it was required on any contact that involved a criminal matter. The problem is it does not state if that means a report of a crime or only where the contact is suspected of a criminal matter. It also says to turn them on before the contact or as soon as possible afterwards. To me, before the contact would be as I exit the car to talk to the person. If she came up to the car first, they might not have had time to turn them on. Also, it would depend on the type of camera used, but it might not have shown anything though the audio would still be helpful. There is also question of whether or not they knew it was involving a crime. Most media reports are she called about a noise she heard in the alley, though a few are saying she heard a possible assault, and an even smaller group are saying she called about a sexual assault in progress.

I agree that data storage is cheap, up to a point. It is still very expensive if you look at the amount of data a force their size would require to be stored. My personal opinion is that it would be worth the cost, but I am a strong supporter of cameras for officers. I don't think the one week auto delete option is feasible, at least in Texas. I think our open records laws would require a minimum of 90 days, but I could be wrong about that. At 90 days, we are talking petabytes of data for most departments, but again, I think it is worth the cost. I am also not a chief trying to convince a city manager my budget needs expansion.
Steve Rothstein

baseballguy2001

I'm going to slightly disagree with you - The camera policy I saw mirrored what you wrote, but also had a use of force policy also. It went something like, the cams must be activated after any use of force, or when safe to do so. They didn't activate them at all. The cameras also had a loopback feature, recording 30 seconds before the activate button is pushed. That would have been extremely helpful in this case.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Excaliber »

baseballguy2001 wrote:Now, it's worse. The LEO who did the shooting is refusing to be interviewed. Isn't that nice? The driver of the squad was interviewed --

"Officer Harrity indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad. Immediately afterward Ruszczyk approached the driver's side window of the squad," said the Department of Public Safety, in a statement, which is investigating the shooting.

"Harrity indicated that Officer Noor discharged his weapon, striking Ruszczyk through the open driver’s side window."

Isn't that interesting. The driver also claims a white kid on a bicycle (18 - 25) witnessed the two officers performing CPR.

The passenger LEO shoots and kills a 911 caller, lawyers up, then refuses to be interviewed by the investigating agency. The article goes on to say the agency can't compel his testimony.
Noor doesn't have to speak, and he may be refusing because he's got nothing to say that would be helpful to his case. That is his right.

The driver officer apparently didn't see anything that justified the use of deadly force, and he was closer to the woman than Noor was. One recent report also stated that Noor fired twice. If true, that pretty much rules out an ND.

Two months seems like a long time for the investigation to proceed without reaching a conclusion in a case with no known witnesses other than the two officers, but the only thing that could possibly keep Noor from being charged with manslaughter is some far out claim of justification that could only come from his testimony. If he doesn't come up with something and testify to it, I think he's looking at a virtually certain conviction if he takes it as far as trial without pleading out.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

baseballguy2001

Noor may not have to speak with the state investigators, but I'm willing to bet as a member of the Police Cops, he must talk to Internal Affairs. I don't know how accurate it is, there is a report out this morning, a source says the officers may have thought they were under attack - I'm taking that with a huge grain of salt.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Topic author
WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WTR »

It seems that the officers clearly violated dept. policy by not having their body cameras on.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Can someone please explain to me why body cameras are not always recording? I forgot to turn it on or I didn't have time should not be an excuse.

ETA:
If not always recording due to privacy concerns, etc, why are they not turned on the second you get a call?
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

baseballguy2001

“It’s certainly reasonable to assume that any police officer would be concerned about a possible ambush under these circumstances,” -

That is from the attorney of the officer who spoke to investigators. He, the lawyer, also cited the attack on the officer up in NYC who was shot and killed while sitting in her car. I can already see the narritive being constructed: The Police Cops drive up to a dark alley, and proceed with the car lights off. (neighbors say it's pretty well lit) Towards the end of the alley, a 'loud sound' startled the driver. A moment later a woman walked up to the drivers side of the squad. A second or two after that, the passenger of the squad (thinking his partner is under attack) fires his weapon across his partner and out the window striking the woman, who ends up dead.

At a minimum, sounds like a career ending story if you ask me.
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

The truth will out....maybe?

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Does anyone know why neither police officer's body cam nor cruiser cam were on, if the officer felt threatened or if they both felt they were getting into sketchy situation, should it not stand reason that at least one of those 3 devices would have been turned on? :waiting:

One thing is almost certain, if it was you or I involved in killing, I mean "shooting" or an "incident" such as this, we'd be playing jail house piano right now.

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Both of these Officers need a new line of work. If they were so afraid of being ambushed, why were they driving down an alley with their lights out. Why were they sitting in their car and not walking down the alley so they were not confined in a car. A lot of CYA.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Excaliber »

New details are coming out. Apparently the lawyer who told Noor not to speak to investigators forgot to mention talking to Noor's friends. What he allegedly said to them can be found here.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bblhd672 »

Excaliber wrote:New details are coming out. Apparently the lawyer who told Noor not to speak to investigators forgot to mention talking to Noor's friends. What he allegedly said to them can be found here.
Playing all 3 cards: race, religion and immigrant.

Another killer cop likely to get away with gunning down an innocent woman
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

If there was a loud bag, we need to hear it on audio or it didn't happen.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”