Participation in an active shooter drill

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Participation in an active shooter drill

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

If this is the wrong board for this, please let me know, it seemed to fit the bill since it was one big LEO contact!

This week, I was given a great opportunity that I would encourage anyone to take part in if they were ever given the chance. I got the chance to be an actor (hostage) in an active shooter drill that was put on by my local PD for several agencies. During this, I spent five hours (and numerous) drills with officers. I was at the back room of an office with an active shooter acting as a hostage. When I heard commotion start, I was supposed to make more and make it seem real.

I knew before taking part in this exercise that in this kind of situation, as a victim/hostage/good guy without a gun, that when the men and women in blue showed up, YOU DO AS YOU ARE TOLD. But, holy wow, does this reinforce that to the n'th degree. These men and women are so amped up by the time they get to you, that I can't stress the "comply with the orders that you're given" mantra enough. After two and a half or three dozen drills, I had been ordered onto the ground, and cuffed, probably six times. Another half a dozen or more instances, I was ordered to the ground while a flashlight and weapon were trained on me. Some officers were OK with me going to my knees with my hands up, and others ordered me to the ground spread eagle. In any of these instances, follow commands.

In none of these drills was I ever shot. And I can tell you, even though everyone in the activity knew this was only a drill, the adrenaline drop is real. It is absolutely imperative to follow directions to the letter if you're ever in that kind of situation. They aren't on a power trip, they aren't trying to put you in your place, they legitimately need the full cooperation of everyone because the situation is one giant unknown for them.

If there are any officers that frequent this board that participated, I want to say that everyone did a great job from what I saw. Thank you! :txflag: :patriot:

I had an absolute ball, and have a new found understanding and respect for these types of situations. It was also a lot of fun to just stand around with the officers that were running the activity in between drills and talk about all sorts of things. (including how as a license holder they see us in this type of situation -- again follow instructions!) Really a great opportunity, I can't say it enough. :thumbs2:
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jusme

Re: Participation in an active shooter drill

Post by Jusme »

I think it is very important, that as many non-LEO, get the opportunity, to participate in any of these scenarios, whether it is active shooter, traffic stop scenarios, or building searches.
In the police academy, they are called "practicals", and the officers are presented with many different scenarios, which were taken from actual case files. The officers, don't have advance warning regarding what may transpire, but must "respond on the fly" to what ever situation happens. After I graduated, I actually went back to the academy, several times, and acted as "bad guy" , "hostage", "innocent bystander" "mentally impaired" person .... whatever. (the last one wasn't much of a stretch :biggrinjester: )
A non-LEO, gets the opportunity, to see exactly why commands must be followed, how quickly things can go bad, and get a glimpse of what officers may face at any time, sometimes multiple times a day.

If you get the chance to participate in any of these, take it.

I haven't done it in years, but, I'm sure that any local academy would welcome volunteers to participate, in this vital training. Plus they usually have cookies. :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Jusme wrote:I think it is very important, that as many non-LEO, get the opportunity, to participate in any of these scenarios, whether it is active shooter, traffic stop scenarios, or building searches.
In the police academy, they are called "practicals", and the officers are presented with many different scenarios, which were taken from actual case files. The officers, don't have advance warning regarding what may transpire, but must "respond on the fly" to what ever situation happens. After I graduated, I actually went back to the academy, several times, and acted as "bad guy" , "hostage", "innocent bystander" "mentally impaired" person .... whatever. (the last one wasn't much of a stretch :biggrinjester: )
A non-LEO, gets the opportunity, to see exactly why commands must be followed, how quickly things can go bad, and get a glimpse of what officers may face at any time, sometimes multiple times a day.

If you get the chance to participate in any of these, take it.

I haven't done it in years, but, I'm sure that any local academy would welcome volunteers to participate, in this vital training. Plus they usually have cookies. :mrgreen:
Cookies? I'm in!
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

wil

Post by wil »

In any such scenario, remember to move SLOWLY and deliberately. Do not move your hands or any part of your anatomy suddenly or even in a 'normal' rate of motion. Move slowly so the officers can see exactly what you are doing, including following what they tell you to do.

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

What makes me nervous is the idea of a scenario like that which played out... outside a Costco, I believe? Someone w. an LTC (can't recall which state) was approached by a number of amped-up officers, and there was no one clear leader in the group. Different officers were yelling different, contradictory instructions at the LTC holder - and he wound up shot.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”