Mrs. VolTexan...Part 2

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Mrs. VolTexan...Part 2

Post by Vol Texan »

My wife had two stories involving her EDC this week - so that's why I named these Part 1 and Part 2. Part 1 is found here.

About a week ago, my wife got pulled over in Spring Valley Village - which is one of the 6 or so micro-cities along 1-10 between 610 and Beltway 8 in Harris County.

She was returning home from a business trip to Louisiana, and had stopped to drop off one of her employees at her home, and was driving down Bingle Road toward I-10 for the last leg home. Because of the long drive, she had her handgun in her Remora holster, in the driver's door pocket for the ride.

She was pulled over for one burned out headlight. She rolled down her window, turned on the inside lights, and presented both licenses to the officer out the window as he approached.

He asked if she had her gun, and she said, "Yes". He asked where, and she told him it was in the pocket of the driver's door. He asked if she minded if he took it, and she said, "Sure, go ahead...would you like to open the door yourself and take it?", while she kept her hands away.

He did that - he opened her door, took the gun, and closed her door back. He came back again in a moment with a warning only for her. She mentioned that she was surprised that the light was off -she'd just made a long trip and had seen both lights on as reflections off the bumpers in front of her. He walked back up front again - and now the light was on again. They agreed there must be a short somewhere, and she'd get it checked out.

He brought the gun back, put in in the pocket again, and everything was over. He apologized for the inconvenience of disarming her, but he, "Wanted to go home safe tonight," and thanked her for being agreeable to being disarmed.

Her thoughts...he was very young, and may not be comfortable with LTC holders just yet. Overall, it was a good stop, and she made it home safely - with both headlights still on when she arrived.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

allisji

Re: Mrs. VolTexan...Part 2

Post by allisji »

Vol Texan wrote:My wife had two stories involving her EDC this week - so that's why I named these Part 1 and Part 2. Part 1 is found here.

About a week ago, my wife got pulled over in Spring Valley Village - which is one of the 6 or so micro-cities along 1-10 between 610 and Beltway 8 in Harris County.

She was returning home from a business trip to Louisiana, and had stopped to drop off one of her employees at her home, and was driving down Bingle Road toward I-10 for the last leg home. Because of the long drive, she had her handgun in her Remora holster, in the driver's door pocket for the ride.

She was pulled over for one burned out headlight. She rolled down her window, turned on the inside lights, and presented both licenses to the officer out the window as he approached.

He asked if she had her gun, and she said, "Yes". He asked where, and she told him it was in the pocket of the driver's door. He asked if she minded if he took it, and she said, "Sure, go ahead...would you like to open the door yourself and take it?", while she kept her hands away.

He did that - he opened her door, took the gun, and closed her door back. He came back again in a moment with a warning only for her. She mentioned that she was surprised that the light was off -she'd just made a long trip and had seen both lights on as reflections off the bumpers in front of her. He walked back up front again - and now the light was on again. They agreed there must be a short somewhere, and she'd get it checked out.

He brought the gun back, put in in the pocket again, and everything was over. He apologized for the inconvenience of disarming her, but he, "Wanted to go home safe tonight," and thanked her for being agreeable to being disarmed.

Her thoughts...he was very young, and may not be comfortable with LTC holders just yet. Overall, it was a good stop, and she made it home safely - with both headlights still on when she arrived.
I'm sure that you must have confirmed that all high-beams and low-beams were working... That's very strange to get pulled over for a headlight being out when no headlights were out. Did he issue her a written warning or just verbal?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

This is an excellent example demonstrating that simply cooperating with the LEO rather than trying to pick a fight is the best course of action.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I give the officer an F in public relations and professionalism though. Disarming a CHL holder for a routine is an almost unheard of practice these days. The headlight that mysteriously goes off and on? Sounds a little suspicious and like a cover for an illegal stop. We supposedly live in a free country and have freedom from unreasonable search and seizure. If there was a legitimate reason for the stop and disarming he could have explained without lying.

Yes, Mrs. VolTexan handled it well. But I wish these bad officers and departments would get exposed and held accountable. I think this particular officer was more interested in increasing his contact count than he was in safer streets.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Liberty wrote:I give the officer an F in public relations and professionalism though. Disarming a CHL holder for a routine is an almost unheard of practice these days. The headlight that mysteriously goes off and on? Sounds a little suspicious and like a cover for an illegal stop. We supposedly live in a free country and have freedom from unreasonable search and seizure. If there was a legitimate reason for the stop and disarming he could have explained without lying.

Yes, Mrs. VolTexan handled it well. But I wish these bad officers and departments would get exposed and held accountable. I think this particular officer was more interested in increasing his contact count than he was in safer streets.

I agree the officer either, was poorly trained, or just wanted to exert his authority. I have been stopped twice since I got my LTC, coincidentally both times for headlight out, both asked if I was carrying after seeing my LTC, and the gun's location, but neither wanted to disarm me. All encounters I have had with LEO, both CC, and OC have been positive, as well as conversations I have had. The overwhelming majority, of officers I have spoken with, are glad that there are law abiding citizens who are carrying, and look at us as an extention of the law enforcement community.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”