TSA Contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Mel
Posts in topic: 3

TSA Contact

Post by Mel »

Not exactly an LEO contact but I approached a TSA agent in Austin/Bergstrom Int'l Airport yesterday. I learned something. Did you know that our CHL is not issued to us?
As I approached I was trying to get at my Driver's license for ID. In the process, the agent saw my CHL. She snapped, "Is that a concealed handgun license?" I said, "Yes Mayam, it is."
She immediately snapped back, "We don't accept that for ID." I said, "Yes Mayam, I'm trying to get my driver's license out. It is kind of silly that you don't accept the CHL. There is absolutely no information on the driver's license that isn't on the CHL."
Again she snapped back with, "Well I can tell you why we don't accept it. It's because that license is issued to your handgun, not to you. Your driver's license is issued to you!" I almost said several things like, "That's why I have one for each handgun I own, Oh, wait, I only have one with MY name on it, not the name of my handgun."
But seeing as how she was a TSA agent and has the ultimate authority, I bit my lip and continued to my gate.
I kinda wish I had the latest version with LTC instead of CHL. That would have been a little more difficult for her to explain. But then again, I might still be in Austin.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: TSA Contact

Post by SewTexas »

soooo, I should have two then??? :shock: since I carry one of two different guns? and I might throw a third into the mix this winter.... :roll: I'm really confused.... :roll: :roll: and these people are in charge, of something....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

50% of all people are of below-median intelligence.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

lonestar144 wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:50% of all people are of below-median intelligence.
Setting your expectations kinda high there ;)
Hahahahahaha!

Really though, TSA has supervisors you can call that know the law better! You should write an email and explain what happened. She should be corrected
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

The reason the LTC is not accepted by TSA is that it doesn't meet the federal "REAL ID ACT" standards for identification passed after 9/11. Newer Texas Drivers Licenses and ID Cards do meet the standards and older ones are grandfathered until 2018. You can tell if you have a new one of there's a "star" logo on the upper right side of the card. LTC's could meet the the standard easily based on the documentation required to obtain one and the physical features. But I actually think it's a bad idea. It's not necessary to have a picture and all sorts of other fancy features. It could be a slip of paper for that matter. It's bad enough to even have to have a license to exercise a constitutional right. With REAL ID our driver's licenses are being turned into internal passports and permission slips for us to travel in the US or go about our business. The answer is not more Soviet style bureaucracy, it's more freedom. :patriot:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Smokey613

Post by Smokey613 »

Yes, you have to have a "real ID" to fly but not to exercise arguably the most important duty we as Americans have and that is to vote. Yes sir, typical Federal bureaucrat logic.
Texas LEO / TCOLE Firearms Instructor / LTC / Glock Armorer / NRA Endowment-Life Member

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Smokey613 wrote:Yes, you have to have a "real ID" to fly but not to exercise arguably the most important duty we as Americans have and that is to vote. Yes sir, typical Federal bureaucrat logic.
:iagree:

I remember when I registered to vote for the first time in North Carolina when I was 18 (actually 17 because I was turning 18 before the election). I brought in my Massachusetts :shock: birth certificate to the Mecklenburg Public Library, put my left hand on the Bible (they don't call it the bible belt for nuthin') and raised my right hand to swear that I was eligible. :patriot: . I think I had to find something with my address on it too. A couple months later I enlisted in the US Navy Reserve for officer training.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

RoyGBiv wrote:50% of all people are of below-median intelligence.
:iagree: But, Not those who work for the TSA. It seems that their collective intelligence level is MUCH lower.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

A few years ago, I had a similar incident as Mel. I had a TSA agent refuse to accept my military ID. I was doing the same thing as Mel- trying to get to my DL but the agent happened to see my military ID. It ticked me off, so I told the agent it was the only ID I had and she needed to call her supervisor. The supervisor showed up and she asked him "Do we accept military ID?" He gave her a very perturbed look and told her "Of course we accept military ID". I chuckled as I passed the sensors.
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

rotor

Post by rotor »

All this time I thought my DL was issued to my car.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I don't ever remember being told that TSA has an IQ requirement, in fact it seem if they did it would probably be to help them not hire anyone with an IQ of 75 or higher. Including management.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"Well I can tell you why we don't accept it. It's because that license is issued to your handgun, not to you. Your driver's license is issued to you!"

So I was able to vote with my handgun's license? If you could make that statement seem more crazy, MY HANDGUN was not even allowed in the building!! :banghead:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

You don't have to be stupid to work at TSA, but it helps.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I have a respectable IQ yet I failed the TSA test and I wonder how some of their agent's passed the test? Not to sound like a dummy but also failed the Walmart test and really scratch my head when I see some of their employees. D'oh! :banghead:

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I fly 100k+ miles a year, and hold the TSA in the lowest regard. I've gone off on them in the past, and it's comical the kind of retorts they come up with. Mall cops have less of an ego, and a more respectable career than these gnats. TSA needs to go.
Last edited by pbwalker on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”